I went caving in Ontario!

Post trip reports, requests, expedition announcements.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Do not post exact cave locations, either by roads or GPS, or post directions to caves.

I went caving in Ontario!

Postby Scott McCrea » Jul 31, 2007 9:01 pm

Over the 4th of July week, we went to visit my Mother-in-Law's cottage in Canada. A perfect opportunity to do some international caving. So, I PM'd Ponorplumber and asked if there were caves near my destination. He said there were, and hooked me up with Lori Nichols of the Toronto Caving Group. We made plans to visit Across the River Cave.

I met Lori and Gord and made our way to the cave. Across the River Cave is, strangely enough, across the river from Moira Cave. The pavement karst that both caves are formed in is awesome. Just seeing that was worth the trip.

The mazey cave has multiple entrances with lots of water and mud and a few places to stand up. There is a waterfall (which was dry) and some formations--both of which are rare in Ontario. The Endless Crawl ended in the Mud Bath which had some amazing mud. This was the muddiest cave I have been in. But, I enjoyed it a bunch and hope to go back someday. Thanks to Cavechat, I got to do my first international caving trip and meet some great Canadian cavers. :woohoo:

Here's the gallery of pics from the trip: LINK
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Re: I went caving in Ontario!

Postby barcelonacvr » Aug 1, 2007 12:45 pm

Scott McCrea wrote:
Here's the gallery of pics from the trip: LINK

I am very happy you managed to enjoy some of our local caves.I only wish I could have made it out to meet you( I wish I could have met a bunch at the convention too :( .Lori is ALWAYS looking for cavers to join her so I am glad you met.She lives and breathes caving.

It has always bothered me that Ontarian cavers constantly enjoy the wonderful hospitality of US cavers and the permission to enjoy US caves Etc yet very few Americans visit ours.I will always try to do anything I can to enable more fellowship between cavers and people interested in visiting here.

ATR is a nice feeling cave and I would say they have at least 2/3 more to survey.Maybe next time you can enjoy Moira and Dewdneys.
barcelonacvr
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby barcelonacvr » Aug 2, 2007 12:27 pm

I forgot to say there is at least a km of walking passage in that cave if not more.Lori just really likes the crawly muddy stuff and the back end of the cave is all crawl so far.Moira has a few km of walking passage with nice warm chest high water as well so not all Ontario caves are crawls .
barcelonacvr
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Scott McCrea » Aug 2, 2007 12:37 pm

Yep, we did see a bit of walking passage at a different entrance. And, I was really surprised at how warm the water was. We washed off in the river and it was like bath water. Nice!
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Return to Trips & Expeditions Forum