The Rant Thread - let it out!

Topics and issues of interest to cavers which are not related to caving. No political or religious discussions, please.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: The Rant Thread - let it out!

Postby Bill Putnam » Feb 16, 2011 6:09 pm

NZcaver wrote a nice response explaining the subtle distinction between the two cave rescue forums (one which is apparently lost on those of us who are not moderators, but that doesn't really matter now, does it?). I read it twice, and then realized that it might be helpful to translate the text from "moderator-speak" to ordinary language for the benefit of other non-moderators. Text copied from Jansen's post is in quotes - my translation and substitution material is denoted by brackets [].

Jansen wrote:
"Thanks for sharing your rant about this, Bill. You bring up some valid concerns, along with half-answering some of your own questions."

"Here's a little history about why we have dual cave rescue subforums." [blah blah blah long ago in a galaxy far away somebody posted about a cave rescue and mentioned somebody else's name and somebody got upset and wet their panties so we had to do something blah blah blah].

"Therefore a compromise was reached." [blah blah blah we couldn't decide which mother should have the baby, so we cut it in two and gave each one half - problem solved blah blah blah].

"In my opinion" [blah blah blah we should just "stay the course" and keep things as they are blah blah].

"The system may not be perfect, but" [blah blah blah that's the way we've been doing it for a long time and no one else is complaining blah blah].

"There is obviously some overlap between the two rescue forums, but" [blah blah we don't really care because this is our playground, not yours, and it's your fault anyway for not reading and understanding the fine print blah blah].

"Incidentally there's nothing stopping somebody from" [blah blah taking their marbles and going home and finding someone else to play with and starting some other thread or forum or club or whatever, just leave us alone blah blah].

There's no reason at this point for any of the material in the "registered only" version of the forum to be made less accessible than what's in the open version, and, frankly, there never was. People who don't want their names mentioned when they are involved in an accident or rescue should probably cave under an alias, just like they post under aliases here on Cavechat. (That was a joke, by the way. Actually, they should just grow up and get over themselves.)

Have a nice day.
:down:
Bill Putnam, NSS 21117 RL/FE
Chairman and Chief Troublemaker
The Revolutionary Hodag Party - Thinking outside the cave.

The jackal can roar,
pretending to be a lion.
The lion is not fooled.
Bill Putnam
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 21117
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Revolutionary Hodag Party

Postby self-deleted_user » Feb 16, 2011 6:14 pm

LOL actually I thought it made a lot of sense what he said.

No wonder you are chief troublemaker :rofl:
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby David Grimes » Feb 16, 2011 6:31 pm

I find it funny that we have a special rant thread now when probably 90% of the forum is some form of a rant about a more specific topic. :cavechat:
David Grimes
Admin

NSS #: 59533
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Underground Society

Postby MUD » Feb 16, 2011 6:33 pm

:laughing: You go Bill! :clap:
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: None

Postby Bill Putnam » Feb 16, 2011 6:54 pm

Growl. Grrrrr. Grumble grumble grumble.
Bill Putnam, NSS 21117 RL/FE
Chairman and Chief Troublemaker
The Revolutionary Hodag Party - Thinking outside the cave.

The jackal can roar,
pretending to be a lion.
The lion is not fooled.
Bill Putnam
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 21117
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Revolutionary Hodag Party

Postby self-deleted_user » Feb 16, 2011 7:00 pm

David Grimes wrote:I find it funny that we have a special rant thread now when probably 90% of the forum is some form of a rant about a more specific topic. :cavechat:
Ah see, but here, you can rant about EVERYTHING! And it can be totally random and off topic!

LIke...the peanut m&m has no peanut in it! Grah!
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Chads93GT » Feb 16, 2011 7:02 pm

You know what else pisses me off? Bad Air.....Ran into that for the first time ever today down at the end of a 300' long belly crawl. Talk about kind of sucking. I didn't like that at all.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby self-deleted_user » Feb 16, 2011 7:08 pm

Chads93GT wrote:You know what else pisses me off? Bad Air.....Ran into that for the first time ever down at the end of a 300' long belly crawl. Talk about kind of sucking. I didn't like that at all.
How do you know if the air is bad? Does it smell bad? I mean...methane (?) is odorless...so...how do you tell? Just like, can't breathe all of a sudden?
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Chads93GT » Feb 16, 2011 7:14 pm

bad air = low oxygen. It effects everyone differently. one of our guys got a headache and nausious, it didnt hit me until a few minutes later. The passage was known for bad air but the guy that was with us hadnt been there in 15 years and no one else had been back either. We were checking to see if it was A. still bad and B. showing the new generation where it was. The problem was it was bad up in the crawlway leading to the sinkhole in the floor and not in the bottom crawlway. Rather stange, but now I know where the worst part of the longest cave in the state of MO is. GAG.............its not on the map.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Anonymous_Coward » Feb 16, 2011 7:30 pm

Sungura wrote:LOL actually I thought it made a lot of sense what he said.

Yeah, but you have already admitted to being a former discussion board moderator! [blah blah blah blah rabbits blah blah blah]
Andy Armstrong
American Carbide Council
Anonymous_Coward
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 45993RL FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Paha Sapa Grotto

Postby MUD » Feb 16, 2011 7:47 pm

From the NSS Annoucements thread:

[(Posted on behalf of Gordon Birkhimer, NSS President)

As President I have been requested to conduct an official email ballot according to the guidelines established in Act 06-183 Mail Ballots 4-7-01, 8-24-68, 11-16-68 after four members of the Board requested this action, namely Tiderman, Bush, Kayes, and Devine. To be adopted, this Motion by email requires a two-thirds affirmative vote of the entire Board of Governors. The text of any matter that was the subject of a mail ballot, with the vote of each member, will be read into the minutes of the subsequent meeting. Notice of this proposed action will be posted to the Society web site not later than the day following the transmission of the call for the vote.

Birkhimer moves: The Memo of Understanding with the United States Forest Service is accepted.

Voting began on 2/15/2011.

Jean DeVries
Recording Secretary

ETA: Changed wording to make it make more sense.
ETA AGAIN: Changed title to USFS so it's correct. Sorry!]

:laughing: "Changed wording to make it make more sense." HUH? Change it all you want...that guy don't make any sense! :rofl:
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: None

Postby self-deleted_user » Feb 16, 2011 8:03 pm

Anonymous_Coward wrote:
Sungura wrote:LOL actually I thought it made a lot of sense what he said.

Yeah, but you have already admitted to being a former discussion board moderator! [blah blah blah blah rabbits blah blah blah]

:rofl: It's worse - not just a mod, an admin for one of them! :yikes:
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Phil Winkler » Feb 16, 2011 8:06 pm

Uh, Sierra Echo, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, what do you mean? Are you saying refusing a piece of mail enters you into a database where no mail addressed to you will ever be delivered again? If a piece of mail is not addressed to you but delivered to you the correct action is write Not at this address and cross out the address. Or, it used to be that way when I was a mail clerk.
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Postby self-deleted_user » Feb 16, 2011 8:11 pm

For a bit there I was wondering which poster was named Whisky Tango Foxtrot since we have a Sierra Echo.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Feb 16, 2011 10:35 pm

Bill Putnam wrote:Blah, blah, blah...

I'm so glad I took all that time to explain how the forum is supposed to work, and why it is the way it is. I'm also super-grateful you kindly translated everything I said into nonsensical monkey gibberish for your own self-amusement. What a wonderful and completely non-productive display of "I prefer doing things my way and any other way is wrong." :roll:

You have yourself a nice day, too. :waving:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

PreviousNext

Return to Open Talk Forum