Live Bat Found In Shipping Container

Please post all bat-related stories, discussions here.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Live Bat Found In Shipping Container

Postby wyandottecaver » Jan 16, 2011 2:57 pm

George,

The answer is in BCI's flyway and banding data. Most bats don't travel that widely, particularly in the east. But *some* have. Indeed, the one site in TN was from a bat species NEVER recorded in the cave before. Certainly that doesn't mean a caver didn't transport to hamilton, but it doesn't mean a caver had too either. Plus, given that we haven't seen a continuation of that trend, we are forced to conclude that if people are carrying GD, We aren't very dang good at it.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby DeanWiseman » Feb 14, 2011 10:55 am

wyandottecaver wrote:George,

given that we haven't seen a continuation of that trend, we are forced to conclude that if people are carrying GD, We aren't very dang good at it.

I've been mulling over this aspect of the debate for some time. I have yet to see any debate or analysis that the initial contamination event could very well have been the result of overcoming powerball-sized odds.

If the chances of solely human-based spread of G. destructans were 1 in 1 Million (much less 1 per 100 Million+ of powerball), would we deem that a significant risk?

-Dean

Dean Wiseman
NSS#32690 RL, BOG
DeanWiseman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 32690
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Central Indiana Grotto

Postby BrianC » Feb 14, 2011 11:51 am

DeanWiseman wrote:
wyandottecaver wrote:George,

given that we haven't seen a continuation of that trend, we are forced to conclude that if people are carrying GD, We aren't very dang good at it.

I've been mulling over this aspect of the debate for some time. I have yet to see any debate or analysis that the initial contamination event could very well have been the result of overcoming powerball-sized odds.

If the chances of solely human-based spread of G. destructans were 1 in 1 Million (much less 1 per 100 Million+ of powerball), would we deem that a significant risk?

-Dean

Dean Wiseman
NSS#32690 RL, BOG

I would be better off playing powerball!
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Previous

Return to Everything Bats