New here, but I've been a caver for awhile

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

New here, but I've been a caver for awhile

Postby nathanroser » Feb 6, 2011 1:31 pm

Hey everybody, I'm Nathan Roser and I come from a small town in Maryland called Boyds. I'm a student at SUNY-ESF right now in Syracuse, NY. I first went caving at Whiting's Neck in West Virginia when I was eleven years old and I have loved it ever since. When I came to college I found the Syracuse University Outing Club and started caving with them. To date I have gone caving in a total of 18 different caves in New York, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia and I would only call two of those caves a miserable hole in the ground, Hannacroix Maze and Ain't No Catchment in New York. Both of which are mostly crawling through several feet of water with no big rooms or nice walking passage. Up in New York my favorite cave is Knox Cave and my absolute favorite cave I have been to so far is Culverson Creek Cave in West Virginia. I have only done sport caving so far and I finally decided to join the NSS so I could find some people to teach me how to survey and other skills for project caving. In New York I am looking to do some digs while at home during the summer I am interested in some project work in the VAR region. Maryland isn't exactly well known for great caves but it would be nice to go look for new ones that have not yet been opened or explored, even if they are rather small.
nathanroser
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Nathan Roser
NSS #: 62848
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Re: New here, but I've been a caver for awhile

Postby Phil Winkler » Feb 6, 2011 3:35 pm

Welcome to the forum, Nathan. I think you've come to the right place for all the right reasons.
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Postby commanderzoom » Feb 7, 2011 5:44 am

:exactly:
Welcome to the forum! You'll like it here. There are a lot of good, helpful people who hang out around these parts :big grin: .
commanderzoom
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 61484
Primary Grotto Affiliation: MVG

Postby Jon » Feb 23, 2011 11:29 pm

Hey Muddyface

30 some odd years ago I I lived in Boyds for a while having come up from the Rockville Kensington area. Can't help you back there but if you ever come to Arizona maybe I can show you some of the caves that we don't have
Jon
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 60164
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cochise County Cavers

Postby nathanroser » Feb 24, 2011 11:22 am

Well as far as I know Boyds itself hasn't changed much, there is a lake there now which now has lots of turtles, frogs, blue herons, some beavers and even bald eagles. The town population is still less than 2,000 but nearby Clarksburg and Germantown have been turned into a sea of subdivisions. As for Arizona I was there when I was about 10 years old and saw lots of canyons and desert, but indeed there were no caves to speak of. Keep it secret, keep it safe.
nathanroser
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Nathan Roser
NSS #: 62848
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Return to Caver Introductions