From Lookout Mountain

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

From Lookout Mountain

Postby botkin02 » Feb 5, 2011 10:17 am

Hello everyone,

My name is Bo Lancaster, and I've lived on Lookout Mountain for the better part of 10 years, but I've only gotten into caving within the past few years. I've definitely got caves on the brain, and I'm always looking for excuses to go crawl underground! I've been in a number of caves in the area, and I'm planning a few more trips in the next few months.

My aunt Beth got me into caving, and she's been a part of the caving community for decades. (I'm certain some of you know her!)

Anyway, my wife and I are hopefully moving to Slovakia within the year to help start churches, and I'm excited because there's an extensive caving community there, too! (Check it out at http://www.sss.sk)

Thanks, and I look forward to learning from all you guys!

bo
botkin02
Frequent Poster

Name: Bo Lancaster
NSS #: 62989

Re: From Lookout Mountain

Postby self-deleted_user » Feb 5, 2011 11:38 am

oooh you live on Lookout Mountain? How could you have not been into caving from day one? lol. WOW. Welcome! And I am jealous of where you live. :cavingrocks:
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby botkin02 » Feb 5, 2011 11:45 am

I know, right? :shrug:

I finally decided to face my compound fears of the dark, heights, closed in spaces, and the possibility of crazy rednecks with guns in the aforementioned places!

bo
botkin02
Frequent Poster

Postby self-deleted_user » Feb 5, 2011 11:57 am

Ah I see, okay =)
For me it's just the hight thing - and it's a fear of falling not heights itself, if I"m hooked in or have clear easy holds not a bad thing. I still tend to look out mounds of breakdown and go "and just how do you expect me to get up that?" (well I think that to myself) and then I just start picking my way up...and as if by miracle soon I'm at the top and looking down thinking "erm, how did I just get up that?" lol.
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby tncaver » Feb 5, 2011 1:22 pm

botkin02 wrote:Hello everyone,
My aunt Beth got me into caving, and she's been a part of the caving community for decades. (I'm certain some of you know her!)
bo

Beth Elliott?
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby BrianC » Feb 5, 2011 2:05 pm

tncaver wrote:
botkin02 wrote:Hello everyone,
bo

Beth Elliott?

would be my guess.

Bo, sound like your travels will be awesome!
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby botkin02 » Feb 5, 2011 2:18 pm

Yep, Beth finally talked me into crawling underground, and boy am I glad she did!
botkin02
Frequent Poster

Postby tncaver » Feb 5, 2011 3:53 pm

Beth is a nice lady and a good person. Does she still fly all the time?
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby onebat » Feb 5, 2011 8:10 pm

I remember Beth. I used to be a member of Chattanooga Grotto some years back. Its been a while though. I joined a grotto closer to home, but I enjoyed my time with them. They are some good people.
onebat
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 32368
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Spencer Mountain Grotto

Postby botkin02 » Feb 5, 2011 8:50 pm

She isn't flying as much these days. We actually went together tonight to see Sanctum with some of her friends. Interesting to say the least!
bo
botkin02
Frequent Poster

Postby cave-xplorer » May 13, 2012 10:18 pm

I was told that you are possibly getting a car pool together from the Chattanooga Airport to Mentone Al. for NCRC is that correct? I am arriving at the Chatt. airport Friday May 18th at 10:30 PM and I am trying to find transportation. Can you help?

Debbie Spoons
Timpanogas Grotto
cave-xplorer
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 61744re
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Timp. grotto

Postby botkin02 » May 14, 2012 8:03 am

I am able to take folks with me from Chattanooga to NCRC on Friday, but I'm planning on leaving much earlier in order to get to the warm up session that night. So I guess I'm unable to help in your situation, I'm really sorry about that! I would try and post something again on the NCRC thread... perhaps there'll be some NCRC people on your flight?

bo
botkin02
Frequent Poster

Return to Caver Introductions