CaveChat Mobile App Poll

Topics and issues of interest to cavers which are not related to caving. No political or religious discussions, please.

Moderator: Moderators

How likely would you be to use an iPhone/iPod, Android, or Blackberry CaveChat App?

Definitely
61%
Maybe
4%
No
26%
My cell phone is a rock
9%

Total votes : 23

CaveChat Mobile App Poll

Postby David Grimes » Jan 29, 2011 11:00 pm

I think the subject line says it all. I would also like to point out the app in question would also be used to access the OnlineCavers Network. I would like to hear in this thread what features you would want the app to have if you are interested in seeing a cavechat app. I am also interested in what everyone thinks would be a fair price for this app (free is a possible option).

I look forward to seeing your responses and hearing your ideals.
David Grimes
Admin

NSS #: 59533
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Underground Society

Re: CaveChat Mobile App Poll

Postby self-deleted_user » Jan 30, 2011 1:33 pm

Erm...I can't vote, but nope since I don't have a computer phone.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby David Grimes » Jan 30, 2011 6:24 pm

Sorry I didn't realize I posted in a restricted forum so I moved it. Anyone should be able to vote now.
David Grimes
Admin

Postby jsniffin » Feb 2, 2011 12:41 am

where would the proceeds go? free sounds good. since this board is free....
mmmm.... MUD....

Looking for FENIX LIGHTS?? www.FENIXGEAR.com 5% Coupon Code: GOSAVE0905
(No I don't work for FENIX I just really like their products)
jsniffin
Frequent Poster

Name: James Sniffin

Postby David Grimes » Feb 2, 2011 1:14 am

Proceeds would depend. I asked that question since the software is already available to easily make the app today. The issue is the software is free for the forum but would cost users $1.99 to use the app. I personally do not care for this option since the money is in no way helping the NSS (or caving in general). I am considering creating the app myself which in return would give the option of giving the app away for free. The issue here is there are certain costs associated with the creation and submission of apps on most platforms, some of which an be a little high. There are many solutions for this issue for example we could use an ad supported app so the app is paid for by an advertiser. Since Cavechat is strictly against advertising on the forum I don't really like the ideal of having ads on the app. I am willing to cover these costs personally and just consider it a sort of unofficial donation since the fees are not specific to the app but a general fee for submitting apps. I have also considered the ideal that the proceeds from a paid app created by myself could be given to the NSS to help cover the costs to run the forum and Onlinecavers network. I agree personally that a free app would be best.

I guess after this long rant, the purpose of this poll is simply to gauge how useful a Cavechat app would actually be. The questions concerning price were mainly to see if it could be used as a feasible way to support Cavechat.org and Onlinecavers.com. I would also like to note that the NSS has not suggested in any way that Cavechat and Onlinecavers need to support themselves but the addition of funds would allow for further expansion and the addition of new features without taking funds from other valuable projects the NSS is involved in.
David Grimes
Admin

Postby jsniffin » Feb 2, 2011 3:50 pm

i suppose the NSS could cover the costs and make the app.. and charge.... .99 for it.. and then they could collect proceeds after their costs are covered and then use that for some project..? :shrug:
mmmm.... MUD....

jsniffin
Frequent Poster

Postby David Grimes » Feb 2, 2011 5:33 pm

I do not expect the app to be a real money maker and at best would only offset the operating expenses for Cavechat and Onlinecavers. I am willing and in fact I would enjoy writing this app for the NSS at no cost as long as my efforts would be utilized. I simply do not want to spend the time on this if the app would get 10 downloads and never be seen again. If more users believe this app should be free then it will be free but if they are willing to spend .99 or whatever price then those funds could be used to help cover the several hundred dollars it costs the NSS each year to keep Cavechat and Onlinecavers active. Like I said I am a fan of a free app and mainly I would like to know about what type of features users would be looking for. Simple RSS feed apps are very easy and cheap to create but limit the apps use to read only functions. I would like to know, would users like to be able to post to cavechat from the app or would read-only functions be enough. I guess its easy to get further into this since there are so many details but I am mainly just looking for the big picture.
David Grimes
Admin

Postby Cheryl Jones » Feb 2, 2011 10:23 pm

What about offering it free, but asking for donations? I bet you'd have more downloads, and even generate more revenue than selling it. Donors could then "pay" on the donations Web page, and --importantly -- make a note that it is for the ap. Better yet, have the fund added to the drop down menu.

Dave can arrange with OVP to make sure that all such donations would get deposited into the Web Site Restricted Fund (where the income from ads and hosted accounts go so that it is available year to year to cover Web site-related expenses)

Cheryl
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Postby David Grimes » Feb 2, 2011 11:05 pm

That is a great ideal Cheryl, I was thinking of something similar myself. That way instead of 30% going to the app store 100% would go to the NSS for those who wish and the app would still be free. I will definitely try to incorporate this feature into the app. Now just a few more suggestions concerning functionality and we can get the ball rolling.
David Grimes
Admin

Postby jsniffin » Feb 3, 2011 11:51 am

i personally would like it to be fully functional. so i can post mobile rather than read something and then have to remember where it was and all that later to post reply.
mmmm.... MUD....

jsniffin
Frequent Poster

Postby NZcaver » Feb 3, 2011 5:17 pm

I checked the "maybe" option, because I can read and post (and moderate) fairly easily from the Android browser in my Samsung Vibrant. I find myself zooming in and out a lot, and occasionally not being able to click a button on the touch screen the first time, but it doesn't slow me down too much.

I uninstalled other "helpful" apps like eBay and Facebook because they were both a dysfunctional PITA. I'm not sure what advantages a dedicated forum app will have over the browser, but I'm willing to try it. Especially if it's free.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby David Grimes » Feb 3, 2011 6:18 pm

Well, I am not sure how well phpbb works on the Android OS but I know from experience that Blackberry does not like it much and 90% of the time it will not allow you to log-in. I have visited Cavechat on an iPhone and iPod without noticing any real issues, on occasion I need to log-in more than once. Really the app would still have some advantages since it could display the forum without the graphics and such and cut down on data usage for those who have limited data plans. It really is about as useful as the facebook app (limited function and no graphics), meaning it is not necessary but on occasion is more convenient.
David Grimes
Admin

Postby graveleye » Feb 5, 2011 10:14 am

I would definitely use a mobile app for cave-chat.
On my phone, bringing up the webpage is painfully slow, so an app would definitely be helpful.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Return to Open Talk Forum