Spring MVOR Waynesville Missouri

NSS Conventions, regional caving events, local caving events. Please spell out event initials for new members.

Moderator: Moderators

Spring MVOR Waynesville Missouri

Postby NIC184 » Jan 21, 2011 2:35 pm

I want to let people know the Spring 2011 MVOR will be held in Waynesville Missouri, April 29th through May 1st. There will be excellent caving for people of all skill levels, good food, a great band and nice camping. I would also ask that cavers in the mvor send their grotto logos to me at joe.nicolussi@yahoo.com. The shirts this spring will feature all the grottos that are in the mvor and sent in the logos. Thanks and hope to see this spring.
NIC184
Infrequent Poster

Name: Joe Nicolussi
NSS #: 59972
Primary Grotto Affiliation: msm

Re: Spring MVOR Waynesville Missouri

Postby commanderzoom » Jan 25, 2011 4:27 pm

I shall be there with my small entourage in tow. Looking forward to it!
commanderzoom
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 61484
Primary Grotto Affiliation: MVG

Postby Chads93GT » Jan 25, 2011 4:32 pm

I'll be at that 200' cliff all weekend ;)
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby self-deleted_user » Jan 25, 2011 5:43 pm

Hrm this sounds like perhaps it should be something I attempt to attend...I don't think my grotto has a logo. My grotto doesn't quite exist anyway. I mean it does, but it doesn't. I don't think there has even ever been a meeting since I "joined" in June.
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby commanderzoom » Jan 25, 2011 6:37 pm

Amy, MVOR in this context refers to the Mississippi Valley Ozark Regional caver gathering. It's held twice a year in the spring & fall, usually in MO? Right Joe? I'm fairly certain anyone can attend if they want to but it's mainly people from this region who show up. I'm taking along someone who isn't even a caver yet AND I've never been to an MVOR before. Should be interesting. Come check it out if you can.

These links might help. Check out the discussion board on the first one.
http://www.mvor.org/
http://web.mst.edu/~spelunk/MVOR/main.html
commanderzoom
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby self-deleted_user » Jan 25, 2011 7:12 pm

LOL yeah I know what it is.

I mean, in terms of getting to where caves are, it's not that much further. I mean, I guess southern Indiana is closer. But seriously. Especially if I can find that $80 flight deal to St. Louis for the right dates and someone was cool enough to pick me up and let me tag along so I didn't have to rent a car and haul camping gear along it'd be way worth it.
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby commanderzoom » Jan 25, 2011 7:31 pm

Sungura wrote:LOL yeah I know what it is.

I mean, in terms of getting to where caves are, it's not that much further. I mean, I guess southern Indiana is closer. But seriously. Especially if I can find that $80 flight deal to St. Louis for the right dates and someone was cool enough to pick me up and let me tag along so I didn't have to rent a car and haul camping gear along it'd be way worth it.

Duh, just ignore me when I do things like that :doh:.

Waynesville is like 2 hours from St. Louis. I live about an hour west of STL, on the way to Waynesville, and could prob pick you up & let you tag along with us if you wanted. Let me know.
commanderzoom
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby self-deleted_user » Jan 25, 2011 9:22 pm

Awesome, will do! I will post back here if/when I find out I can go so I can bum off a ride and a tent to stay in. :grin: If I don't bring vertical gear that saves a good bit of space too haha, but then again it'd be a shame to leave behind if I had a chance to get some time on rope because that's just not something that I can do here. Although I don't think I'll be doing Chad's 200 ft cliff...I've not climbed anything over about 60 feet and I was getting kinda tired near the top, not sure I'd want to do anything more than 100 ft unless I get more time in between now and then, would had to die halfway up the rope! 200 just sounds like a looong way to frog...yeah no I'll stick with something shorter until I get better. OOH unless is this a cliff you can just rappel and then hike back up? heehee. Hrm anyone have a qas I can borrow? I doubt I will have monies to get one before then.

...i'm rambling now...sorry...i ramble when I get excited about potential caving chances...i mean, that time could very well end up being the first time I get to cave since about 3 weeks ago! and since stuff got pushed back in the lab no telling when I can finish my Master's so I can't even start looking for a job down in TAG area about now like I originally planned so probably moving is pushed back to more Aug/Sept/Oct rather than April/May/June. :(
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Chads93GT » Jan 25, 2011 9:38 pm

goto the mvor website and post on the board asking if anyone is driving down from your area. people from all over come to the event.

as for the cliff its actually more like 160' so ive been told. friends of mine who are putting this event on have rappelled there before.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby self-deleted_user » Jan 25, 2011 10:32 pm

That, I highly doubt - the only person in the area who even actually caves is Aaron so I'll ask him if he's going. But yeah, if I get some sort of confirmation I could go, I'll post there or something but I'm guessing I have way better luck with something working out with commanderzoom or such. I've tried working with people in other places, for example, Ohio, to get rides to say, Kentucky and it's just never panned out, I assume although never outright stated because they don't know me and what I'm like so I'm not a wanted liability. So, I don't hold out any hope for rides to get to places. The only time that's ever worked is when I fly down to visit my friend in Atlanta and cave down in TAG. I could do the same for New Mexico as well, have a friend there. But yeah, basically, I've learned if I don't have a pre-existing contact in the area, rides are just *not* given. I've prettymuch resigned with all aspects of caving (getting to events, vertical, survey, heck simple caving itself since I'm sick of the attitudes up north and gas is expensive enough I could almost just book a flight to TAG for the cost to get up there) that it just is NOT going to happen until I move to a more caving area, or, like I said, have a pre-existing contact where I am going to.

Don't hear me wrong - in general cavers are friendly helpful people. Just not around my current location - it has been so freakin' impossible to may any even semi-local (aka 4-6 hour drive away) connections.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby commanderzoom » Jan 25, 2011 10:58 pm

I said I'd give you a ride if you need it & I meant it :grin: . I won't ditch you or anything like that so don't worry. That kind of thing (strangers in my car) isn't out of the ordinary for me at all. I met my husband in my car back in 1999 when a friend picked him up. Met a bunch of other people that way, too. Just last week we had a couple of strangers I met online out to go through my cave. We're pretty laid back people I guess. Also a little unhinged but in a mostly good way.

I don't really "get" people in communities like the caving community who aren't willing to give other people rides to gatherings and whatnot. Is it fear of something bad happening?
commanderzoom
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby self-deleted_user » Jan 25, 2011 11:21 pm

Yeah I think it's a "we don't know you, we don't know you won't destroy the cave, we don't know you won't murder us while we sleep, we don't know if you'll get us into trouble in the cave and put folks at risk" sort of thing.

I'd like to think that being and NSS and local grotto member and I did make it to TAG fall cave in and such, would mean something. But, apparently, it doesn't.

Anyway, I did just email the SJVG like wyndottecaver suggested. I signed off the email with "if there is any way for trips or vertical practice off cliffs or something…I’d be most appreciative. I promise I am housebroken, easy to get along with, my friends say I sing well, I give GREAT back massages, and I love hugs! " so if that doesn't work, I dunno what will.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Chads93GT » Jan 25, 2011 11:50 pm

Sungura wrote:Yeah I think it's a "we don't know you, we don't know you won't destroy the cave, we don't know you won't murder us while we sleep, we don't know if you'll get us into trouble in the cave and put folks at risk" sort of thing.

I'd like to think that being and NSS and local grotto member and I did make it to TAG fall cave in and such, would mean something. But, apparently, it doesn't.

Anyway, I did just email the SJVG like wyndottecaver suggested. I signed off the email with "if there is any way for trips or vertical practice off cliffs or something…I’d be most appreciative. I promise I am housebroken, easy to get along with, my friends say I sing well, I give GREAT back massages, and I love hugs! " so if that doesn't work, I dunno what will.

TAG doesnt mean much to most missouri cavers. Hell, tag doesnt mean much to people who live there but only cave in mammoth............anyway....
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby self-deleted_user » Jan 26, 2011 12:55 am

NO MATTER I may found a home :D Got a reply already to my email to the SJVG and it started off "Ya say you are house broken? Heck many of our members cannot even say that! We are a very open group and you are always welcome to join us on any trip even if you are not a grotto member." LOL I think I may have found something, thanks wyndotte! Getting added to the mailing list, and apparently they have some survey projects going I can probably get in on even :D

Sorry for being :off topic: we now return you to your regularly scheduled caving....
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby self-deleted_user » Jan 27, 2011 12:01 am

I checked....flights on Southwest are only $69 (oneway) it ends up right under $150 taxes and fees all in (not bad esp since they let you check 2 bags heck yes).

...if I have the time, I can probably figure out a way to swing that. :woohoo:
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Next

Return to Caver Events