Need 50 persons or more for purchase DistoX circuit board

Techniques, equipment and issues. Also visit the NSS Survey & Cartography Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Need 50 persons or more for purchase DistoX circuit boar

Postby WVCaver2011 » Jan 8, 2011 8:25 pm

Beat said that some of the VTI sensors are good candidates for recircuitry so looks like he will be rewiring the circuit boards for us in his spare time. This means that he will work with the different sensors and try to find an alternate way to rewire the different sensors and come up with an equivalent working X-board.

I guess what we can do in the spare time is get the 50 (minimum orders) together on here. I will keep everyone informed of the progress that Beat makes as well. Just post on here if you would like an x-board when Beat makes them.
There's nothing that makes me more excited than finding a place underground that no one has ever seen or been in!

NSS#60861
wvcaver2011
WVCaver2011
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Allen Dove
NSS #: 60861
Primary Grotto Affiliation: WVUSG

Postby apitkin » Jan 9, 2011 5:21 pm

WVCaver2011 wrote:Just post on here if you would like an x-board when Beat makes them.

Put me down for one.
apitkin
Infrequent Poster

Name: Andrew Pitkin
NSS #: 39762
Primary Grotto Affiliation: NSS-CDS

Postby jharman2 » Jan 9, 2011 9:58 pm

Count me in.
John Harman (Pantin apologist)
http://www.wvunderground.net/
jharman2
Prolific Poster

Name: John Harman
NSS #: 58082

Postby WVCaver2011 » Jan 9, 2011 11:48 pm

jharman2 wrote:Count me in.

Thanks John, and I sure will!
There's nothing that makes me more excited than finding a place underground that no one has ever seen or been in!

NSS#60861
wvcaver2011
WVCaver2011
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby WVCaver2011 » Jan 10, 2011 12:37 pm

Beat gave me an update on his current work.

"My current development is for a newer Disto model.
I am currently working with the Leica Disto DXT but
there is no final decision yet."

This is straight from my email.

"The DISTO DXT is extremely robust, designed specifically for use in adverse and arduous site conditions. The DXT is dustproof and waterproof to IP65 and can be washed under running water, the housing and keypad being completely sealed. As well as having a solid rubber housing, the DXT also has additional internal protection around the measuring module to withstand drop tests from 2 metres."

Taken straight from this site http://www.toolstop.co.uk/leica-disto-d ... nge-p13141

Looks like a decent disto for sure! However, the cost is a little pricey at $262.78. Its a new model so hopefully, if Beat finds a way to use this disto, its price will decline a little. Its robust enough for easy caving but dont expect to drop it down a 10+ foot pit and expect it to survive. Dont go cave diving with it as it was only designed to be washed off. However, it's dust proof which is a good thing. I dont know how many electronics I have fried because dust got into them....

Dont go out and buy this Disto just yet because Beats research isnt finalized just yet. He may find that his current development doesnt work well enough. I guess we'll see soon.

NSS#60861
wvcaver2011
WVCaver2011
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby WVCaver2011 » Jan 10, 2011 12:39 pm

apitkin wrote:
WVCaver2011 wrote:Just post on here if you would like an x-board when Beat makes them.

Put me down for one.

Gotcha! :big grin:

NSS#60861
wvcaver2011
WVCaver2011
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby weaverem » Jan 10, 2011 5:13 pm

I initially indicated that I wanted one. But now i have a second person that wants one.

Do you know if this potential board for the DXT will still fit the A3? I am excited by the DXT but have a spare A3.
weaverem
Infrequent Poster

Postby WVCaver2011 » Jan 10, 2011 7:12 pm

weaverem wrote:I initially indicated that I wanted one. But now i have a second person that wants one.

Do you know if this potential board for the DXT will still fit the A3? I am excited by the DXT but have a spare A3.

Not too sure on this to be honest.... I actually have a spare A3 as well that I just recently bought because it was fairly cheap. I will ask Beat when he replies to my next email as I dont want to send him more than 2 emails per day as that would probably not allow for a lot of time for his research and developments.

Gotcha for the second person and ive confirmed you already! :wink:

NSS#60861
wvcaver2011
WVCaver2011
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby WVCaver2011 » Jan 10, 2011 7:49 pm

I would like to post an update on the number of boards that we possibly have. Please let me know if you have any corrections. If I put a question mark beside your number it's because I am unsure if you want one, unsure of the quantity, or something else. If I made a mistake please inform me.

Cavechat:

Apogeocars-2
Sau-1?
Weaverem-2
nigeldh-?
Philemon-2
aptikin-1
jharman2-1

Email:
Jean-Pierre ? (possibility (depends on price))
Oliver Testa-5
la rouille-2 or 3

With these numbers, we now have a total of 16-17 boards. We need 50 by the time Beat is ready to distribute. We are 32-34% of our goal right now. :boxing: If you prefer email or currently know individuals who want a board or so please feel free to send me a PM and I will give you my email address.

I will edit this email when I receive corrections.
Last edited by WVCaver2011 on Jan 18, 2011 7:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

NSS#60861
wvcaver2011
WVCaver2011
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby WVCaver2011 » Jan 11, 2011 7:53 am

weaverem wrote:I initially indicated that I wanted one. But now i have a second person that wants one.

"My current prototype use neither VTI nor PNI parts.

It is not possible to build a board which fits both the DXT and the A3.
The two far too different (mechanically and electrically)."

It's unfortunate that you and I both have an A3 laying around... I think i'm going to sell mine on Amazon when Beat sells us the prototype.

NSS#60861
wvcaver2011
WVCaver2011
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby jeffcountryboy » Jan 12, 2011 4:13 am

I am interested in buying a board for a DISTO A3

Jean-François SUZZARINI
3, Chemin des Vernettes
74600 SEYNOD - FRANCE
Tel : 00 33 450 46 71 20
jfsuzz@gmail.com
jeffcountryboy
Infrequent Poster

Postby WVCaver2011 » Jan 12, 2011 3:08 pm

jeffcountryboy wrote:I am interested in buying a board for a DISTO A3

Jean-François SUZZARINI
3, Chemin des Vernettes
74600 SEYNOD - FRANCE
Tel : 00 33 450 46 71 20
jfsuzz@gmail.com

Unfortunately as of now Beat cannot produce a board for the Disto A3 because of the Obsolete sensors he needs to build one with. He is currently trying to find an alternative. This why he is now working with the DXT which appears to be a better instrument for cave use.

NSS#60861
wvcaver2011
WVCaver2011
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby WVCaver2011 » Jan 18, 2011 12:26 pm

Just to clarify things.

I am getting emails regarding to people wanting a Disto X board for the Leica Disto A3. Beat Heeb is no longer able to produce these boards at this time and has moved on to other Leica models. If you want a board for the Leica A3, all I have to say is GOOD LUCK. Trust me if there was one still available I would have gotten it by now. Unfortunately there's not so we are waiting patiently on Beat to make us new ones for other Leica Models.

He is still currently working on the Leica Disto DXT and I havent gotten anymore emails from him since my last post. I do not know how close he is to completion so, until I recieve an email, I will not know.

NSS#60861
wvcaver2011
WVCaver2011
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby WVCaver2011 » Jan 18, 2011 7:55 pm

I have 2 new emails for the X-boards. One is Eric Sanson with 3 boards and the other is Benoit Martinez with a possible order of one.

That makes our total up to 19-21 ( Smallest number is the for sure order number while the largest is the for sure order number + the unsure order number)

NSS#60861
wvcaver2011
WVCaver2011
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Martin Sluka » Jan 19, 2011 5:59 am

Martin Sluka
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Martin Sluka