2011 Convention

NSS Conventions, regional caving events, local caving events. Please spell out event initials for new members.

Moderator: Moderators

2011 Convention

Postby George Dasher » Jan 9, 2011 10:16 am

When is the stuff about the geo field trips, howdy party, etc. going to be posted on the 2011 NSS Convention website?
George Dasher
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16643
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Charleston Grotto

Re: 2011 Convention

Postby Caverdale » Jan 9, 2011 10:45 am

When is the list of available room accommodations, prices, and maps, etc. going to be posted on the 2011 NSS Convention website?
Dale Green
NSS 3669FE
Caverdale
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Dale Green
NSS #: 3669FE, LB
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Salt Lake Grotto

Postby KsCaver22 » Jan 9, 2011 12:52 pm

I would like to see information about RV accomodations.
KsCaver22
Occasional Poster

Name: Bill Gee
NSS #: 49528
Primary Grotto Affiliation: KCAG

Postby Squirrel Girl » Jan 9, 2011 1:32 pm

In the March issue of the NSS News.
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby self-deleted_user » Jan 10, 2011 11:57 am

What if we don't get the NSS News? I don't get it for some reason. I hope it will get posted online at the same time?
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Phil Winkler » Jan 10, 2011 1:04 pm

Amy, aren't you a Regular General or Basic member? I don't think they get publications except for the annual membership Manual and the Caving Accidents.
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Postby Squirrel Girl » Jan 10, 2011 6:08 pm

Sungura wrote:What if we don't get the NSS News? I don't get it for some reason. I hope it will get posted online at the same time?

http://nss2011.org/
Barbara Anne am Ende

Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

Postby self-deleted_user » Jan 10, 2011 8:17 pm

Phil Winkler wrote:Amy, aren't you a Regular General or Basic member? I don't think they get publications except for the annual membership Manual and the Caving Accidents.

Haha good question, I have no clue. But I think it changes in July since my bro got me membership for Christmas not knowing I was a member (they put it in as renewal though for me) and he got me the one where you get the publications I know that for sure. So I guess come July i'll get the newsletter for a year. I got one? but that came with my membership card and I've not gotten another since.
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby George Dasher » Jan 13, 2011 10:50 am

I would like to point out that my original question was "when will the convention information be posted on their website?"

That question has still not been answered...
George Dasher
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby self-deleted_user » Jan 13, 2011 12:02 pm

George Dasher wrote:I would like to point out that my original question was "when will the convention information be posted on their website?"

Actually...it was...(answer is, it's up already)
Squirrel Girl wrote:
Sungura wrote:What if we don't get the NSS News? I don't get it for some reason. I hope it will get posted online at the same time?

http://nss2011.org/
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Squirrel Girl » Jan 13, 2011 5:09 pm

Sungura wrote:
George Dasher wrote:I would like to point out that my original question was "when will the convention information be posted on their website?"

Actually...it was...(answer is, it's up already)

Not everything is up on the website. There's nothing about the Howdy Party or a few other categories. There is other information up, such as some basic info on the geology field trip and accommodations. Nevertheless, I'm privy to some "inside" information and I know we have a looming deadline for submitting more details to get in the NSS News for the March issue. I'm sure that when that additional info is consolidated for the News article, it will also be posted on the website.

George, it is not super obvious, but did you see the menu in the black bar under the photo at the top of the homepage?
Barbara Anne am Ende

Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

Postby self-deleted_user » Jan 14, 2011 11:51 am

Does anyone know if there will be mine trips as well? Some folk on the UK forum are asking about that.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby George Dasher » Jan 21, 2011 2:11 pm

Does anyone know anything about the geo field trips?

I know there are three this year...
George Dasher
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby cavergirl » Jan 24, 2011 12:42 pm

George Dasher wrote:Does anyone know anything about the geo field trips?

I know there are three this year...

this is up on the NSS convention page

http://nss2011.com/daytime-activities/g ... ield-trip/
cavergirl
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Chrys
NSS #: 45071
Primary Grotto Affiliation: nashville grotto

Postby caverdan » Jan 24, 2011 4:12 pm

Geology Field Trip
Southern Route: Glenwood Springs to Marble to El Jebel

This field will be to three types of features found east and south of Glenwood Springs: hot springs with related karst, evaporite solution features, and rocks altered by Tertiary intrusions.

After the first stop at the Glenwood Springs hot spring adjacent to the pool, we will travel east to examine evaporite solution features along the Roaring Fork River. Proceeding south from Carbondale along the Crystal River we will stop at the coke ovens at Redstone and discuss the heating of Cretaceous coals by Tertiary intrusives.

Lunch will be at the millsite at the town of Marble adjacent to large blocks of marble and the milling equipment. After lunch the field trip retraces the route along the Crystal River with a stop at Penny Hot Springs near the Elephant Mountain Caves.

Continuing east along the Roaring Fork River and then ascending the hills overlooking El Jebel, the next stop is Dirty Pool Cave, an evaporite solution cave. The final stop on the return to Glenwood Springs will be an outcrop overlooking the Roaring Fork valley with a closeup view of the evaporite solution taking place in this area.

Date and Time: TBD
Leaders: Mark Maslyn, assisted by Richard Rhinehart and Doug Medville

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eastern Route: Glenwood Canyon to Camp Hale

The Glenwood Springs-Camp Hale geology field trip route will start at the Glenwood Springs High School. The first stop will be in Glenwood Canyon where we will look at Precambrian rocks as well as outcrops of the cavernous Leadville Formation. From there we will continue up the beautiful and fascinating Glenwood Canyon. Our next stop at the mouth of Glenwood Canyon we will see more of the Leadville formation and talk about the famous Dotsero Springs and how it is related to the speleogenesis of the areas caves. Going further up the Colorado River we will stop near Dotsero Volcano, which is the youngest volcano in Colorado. Continuing along the Eagle River past the towns of Gypsum and Eagle we will then stop at a classic landslide to look at problems that arise when the local geology is not taken into account.

We will continue following I-70 past the towns of Wolcott, Edwards, Avon and we will stop at Maloit Park in Minturn for lunch. Here we will start to look at the many glacial features that are present nearby. If time allows we may be able to take a short hike up to an outcrop of the sandstones of the Cambrian Sawatch Formation to look at glacial polish and striations. After lunch we will stop at the Gilman Mine to talk about the very interesting silver mining that was associated with paleofill in the Leadville Formation. Here we will also learn about the extensive cleanup of the toxic waste generated by the Gilman Mine. Our next stop will be at the historic Camp Hale, where during WWII soldiers were trained for mountain and winter combat. Here we will continue to learn more about glacial geology and also about the Minturn Formation, which includes limestone bioherms that outcrop on the slopes above Camp Hale.

From Camp Hale we then start back to Glenwood Springs. As we travel down the Eagle Valley we will be looking at the unusual facies change in the Minturn Formation as we travel from the east to west. Also we will pass by a “mystery” boulder, which should stimulate the geology detectives on the trip. Our last stop of the day will be at the gypsum quarries near Gypsum. Here everyone will be able to collect samples of gypsum and selenite as we learn about the geology of the gypsum deposits as well as the drywall industry in Colorado. In general this route will include some of the prettiest and most spectacular views of Colorado in the state. For those not from Colorado this would make a perfect introduction to the local geology and scenery.

Leaders: Fred Luiszer and Ed LaRock (contact info to follow)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Western Route

There will be a pre-convention field trip through western Colorado from Glenwood Springs to Grand Junction. This field trip will examine karst features in the Leadville Formation in Glenwood Springs and tufa caves at Rifle Falls State Park. It will also have a stop where claystone caves in the Wasatch Formation are described. Throughout the trip we will discuss the spectacular outcrops that are present along the route. Your trip culminates at the DeBeque Canyon Winery in beautiful Palisade, Colorado, where participants will be treated to light snacks and a wine tasting before the return trip to Glenwood Springs.

Leader: Harvey DuChene (contact info to follow)
Member: Colorado Madrats, SoCoMoGro,CWSG.
caverdan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 40262

Next

Return to Caver Events