Newbie Caver from GA

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

Newbie Caver from GA

Postby Sierra Echo » Dec 27, 2010 9:16 pm

Hi Everyone!
I'm Shannon and I live in Buford, Ga. I'm an avid hiker and a novice caver. I have been in a few show caves (Mammoth, Ruby falls, and Cathederal Caverns). I've been a little ways into Pettyjohns in Walker County, Ga. The bulk of my experience comes from the 5 1/2 hours I spent in the Tumbling Rock cave in Fackler, Alabama.
I'm looking foward to getting to know the people on this forum and I'm hoping to learn some new tips, etc. :grin:
Sierra Echo
Frequent Poster

Re: Newbie Caver from GA

Postby self-deleted_user » Dec 27, 2010 9:25 pm

Hi Shannon! I have to ask....could it be...another lady caver!??! (I've known shannons of both sexes before hence my uncertainty)
if so WOOOOO
if not...well...okay WOOOO anyway haahaa

Tumbling Rock is fun, isn't it? When did you go? :)
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Sierra Echo » Dec 27, 2010 9:28 pm

I am a chick caver!!!!!
I almost specified that I was female and that I am 35. But I didnt want it to sound like a singles ad or something! LOL
We went to Tumbling Rock 12/12/10. We went all the way to the Kings Shower and up into the Topless Dome!
When did you go?
Sierra Echo
Frequent Poster

Postby self-deleted_user » Dec 27, 2010 9:54 pm

All the way back to Mt. Olympus. Well, I cut out a crawl and a breakdown before that (got a migraine on my trip). I don't live down there (yet) I just like to visit because...CAVES! I just started myself in June so I guess I'm kinda "experienced no0b"...I've done about 15 caves (about 20 trips though) in actually five countries (us, canada, england, scotland, wales) not too bad for only 6 months and living in the middle of cave-nowhere. I'm actually flying back down to TAG on Jan 1st to go with my caver friends on a coupla trips including some vertical stuff! Tenzin has never been (oh dear!) so we will be taking him to Pettijohn and Tumbling Rock, so I will finally be able to see Mt. Olympus.

Oh and we do have a single's thread haha and if you are single well you can join me in being a "rare species" of persons hahaha. Oh and you might also like the Women's Caving Issuesthread! :D

WOOOO CAVERCHICKS UNITE!!!!
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby graveleye » Dec 28, 2010 10:21 am

SE, if you're interested in caving, come on down to the Dogwood City Grotto meeting. We hold our meetings on the 1st Tuesday of each month. The meetings are held in the REI store at the I-85 and Clairmont Rd.

I live just around the corner from Buford in Duluth, so hit me up if you want to do some more caving.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby Sierra Echo » Dec 28, 2010 4:48 pm

I believe I will come to a meeting. They aren't listed on REIs site that I can see. I'm assuming the next one will
be Jan. 4. What time?
Sierra Echo
Frequent Poster

Postby graveleye » Dec 28, 2010 7:13 pm

That's correct... January 4th is the next meeting. We meet at 7pm in their stockroom. When you enter the store the stockroom can be found on the right-hand side of the store.
ad astra per aspera

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

graveleye
Global Moderator

Postby Sierra Echo » Dec 28, 2010 9:12 pm

I grew up in Duluth. Moved to Boo-ford when I was 23. Did you know that boo-ford is full of old gold mines.
I think they are all blasted shut though! :down:
Sierra Echo
Frequent Poster

Postby graveleye » Dec 29, 2010 9:48 am

I grew up in Doraville... moved to DooLooth back in the 80s. I'm actually only a block away from Berkely Lake.
Yea, there's a gold bearing quartz seam that runs from Dalonaga down through Buford and down 141 Medlock Bridge. There are a lot of test shafts in the area, filled in now. No one hit the big one... it's still down there.
ad astra per aspera

graveleye
Global Moderator

Return to Caver Introductions