The Cavern : A cave monster movie

Topics and issues of interest to cavers which are not related to caving. No political or religious discussions, please.

Moderator: Moderators

The Cavern : A cave monster movie

Postby Ralph E. Powers » Aug 5, 2010 9:56 pm

I saw this in a $3.00 in at Big Lots and thought what the hell... might not be too bad.
I was right... it wasn't too bad... it was WORSE.
If you see this movie... save your money, your time and your sanity by not watching it at all.
Shaky handheld cameras, weird editing, lots of swearing and panicking by supposedly experienced cavers. Use of gear that I wouldn't have brought into a cave in the first place. Never see the monster until right at the end and it cuts out in the middle of a ... well... trust me you'd end up tossing this into the garbage after watching it.
It had potential but just another monster hidden deep underground and killing one caver after another until there is just ONE more left and they suffer the worst.

SIgh...

Wonder if there's going to be a serious movie about caving that doesn't involve mutated monsters or mutated humans.
Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible. ~ Reinhold Messner

http://ralph.rigidtech.com/albums.php
Ralph E. Powers
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 37616

Re: The Cavern : A cave monster movie

Postby wendy » Aug 8, 2010 11:18 am

on the bright side, if caving movies are all full of monsters then maybe it will help keep the non-cavers/spelunkers out of them..think of them as conservation films poorly done
"Blessed are they who learn from their mistakes. For they shall make, if not necessarily fewer of them, different and more interesting ones."

"It's the good girls who keep diaries; the bad girls never have the time." - Tallulah Bankhead
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby gdstorrick » Aug 8, 2010 3:37 pm

Post deleted.
Last edited by gdstorrick on Jul 10, 2012 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
gdstorrick
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Gary Storrick
NSS #: 12967
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Pittsburgh

Postby Sierra Echo » Dec 27, 2010 9:20 pm

I just ordered this movie from amazon! I figured it was probably really bad when I bought it for $1.12~!
But I'm a sucker for a cheesy horror film, so maybe I will like it. :tonguecheek:
Sierra Echo
Frequent Poster

Postby self-deleted_user » Dec 27, 2010 9:22 pm

Wasn't that the movie they filmed at Cathedral Caverns? I remember hearing something about a movie being filmed there from the tour guide dude. Apparently they all thought the filmakers were idiots while making the movie anyway. ha!
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Sierra Echo » Dec 27, 2010 9:26 pm

Sungura wrote:Wasn't that the movie they filmed at Cathedral Caverns? I remember hearing something about a movie being filmed there from the tour guide dude. Apparently they all thought the filmakers were idiots while making the movie anyway. ha!

I went to Cat. Caverns just a few weeks ago, and my tour guide had said they had just filmed some
kind of music video there. He said the song that was sung was in the movie "earth" but I cant remember
the name of the guy they said had made the video. They had never heard of him either. I do remember saying
that it took all day to make so they couldn't do tours, and they guy ended up donating $300.

The tour guide also said that Cat. Caverns was going to start doing wild tours.
Sierra Echo
Frequent Poster

Postby self-deleted_user » Dec 27, 2010 9:28 pm

I thought the wild tours had already started....someone mentioned it I thought here.

Anyway yeah...might be cool if it wasn't $$$$$$$$$ since caving is...well...free...haha

Oh well though I could have sworn they mentioned some filming taking place down there.
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Sierra Echo » Dec 27, 2010 9:30 pm

They had been doing wild tours for scouts. The tour guide pointed out where they went, and it wasnt very far. Especially not for $40. If he said something about movies then I missed it. I just remember the music video. I'm going to go look at their website and see if they say!
Sierra Echo
Frequent Poster

Postby Sierra Echo » Dec 27, 2010 9:33 pm

According to wikipedia:

"In 1995, Cathedral Caverns provided the cave settings for the Disney Studios film Tom and Huck especially where the vicious Injun Joe (Eric Schweig) falls into an enormous chasm."

You were right!
Sierra Echo
Frequent Poster

Postby self-deleted_user » Dec 27, 2010 9:39 pm

AHHH that's what it was! Yeah he told stories about the filmers - like how they weren't thinking when they brought in...generators? or something basically brought up the CO levels or something up way too high inside the cave and people started to kinda pass out...I'm probably mixing something up but it was something like that. I rememeber laughing a lot beacuse it was a funny story of stupidity
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Sierra Echo » Dec 29, 2010 6:24 pm

The movie arrived today. I will watch it tonight and give my critique!
Sierra Echo
Frequent Poster

Postby Sierra Echo » Dec 29, 2010 9:15 pm

It wasn't THAT bad. It didnt crack my top 50 all time worst movies. The camera worked sucked, I don't understand the reason behind all the shaking. It wouldnt ever stand up against the descent, but its better then the descent 2 in my opinion!
Sierra Echo
Frequent Poster

Postby nathanroser » Feb 22, 2011 2:53 pm

Ralph E. Powers wrote:SIgh...

Wonder if there's going to be a serious movie about caving that doesn't involve mutated monsters or mutated humans.

Something akin to Defiance, The Great Escape, or Der Tunnel with caves could make a good movie. People escaping to safety from some conflict or people hunting them by hiding in caves and navigating through them until they reach friendly territory.
nathanroser
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Nathan Roser
NSS #: 62848
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Return to Open Talk Forum