Relocate to Caving Area & Meet Fellow Cavers - Suggestions

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Relocate to Caving Area & Meet Fellow Cavers - Suggestio

Postby trogman » Dec 10, 2010 11:10 am

Chads93GT wrote:TAG, more caves than you could visit in a life time. True words. 4300+ caves in alabama, 9300+ caves in tennessee, 1600+ caves in georgia. Deepest pits in the states are where these 3 states come together. A true vertical playground and most of the cavers there aren't in grottos, from what the locals have told me.

I love it down there and if I had the chance to relocate to chattanooga, i would do it in a heartbeat.

Actually, GA only has just over 600 caves... but who's counting? I guess you just inadvertently put a 1 in front of the 600. Still adds up to a lot of caves, either way.14,200 caves, many of them within a two hour drive from the heart of TAG, Chattanooga.

Trogman :helmet:
trogman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Stephen Brewer
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Gadsden Grotto

Postby commanderzoom » Dec 12, 2010 8:02 pm

I agree with the TAG recommendations followed by moving back to MO. I hear you on wanting a partner who's into caving! I had 3 deal breakers back when I was still dating: no meth cooks, no child molesters, and the guy either had be a caver or willing to become one :big grin: . It sounds nuts but I've always viewed caving as more of a lifestyle than a hobby and I couldn't be with someone who couldn't/wouldn't be a part of that lifestyle. For me, that would be similar to a vegan marrying a trophy hunter--just doesn't mesh and wouldn't work out in the long run.

I used to test guys out with my "caving test". On the first or second date, I'd haul them out to Sheep Cave in Meramec State Park and see how they liked being underground in about as safe of a wild cave as you can find. One actually started crying because he was so scared :roll: . My husband had only been in a couple wild caves (if that) & one show cave and he LOVED it. Immediately asked about visiting more wild caves. You might want to try a similar test if you find an outdoorsy type woman who's never been caving.
commanderzoom
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 61484
Primary Grotto Affiliation: MVG

Postby prjrvp » Dec 12, 2010 8:45 pm

commanderzoom wrote:I hear you on wanting a partner who's into caving!...
...It sounds nuts but I've always viewed caving as more of a lifestyle than a hobby and I couldn't be with someone who couldn't/wouldn't be a part of that lifestyle.
...I used to test guys out with my "caving test".
...You might want to try a similar test if you find an outdoorsy type woman who's never been caving.

CZ,
I agree with your test, and I agree with the lifestyle. In fact, that is the reason why I want a caver. Being around cavers is fun, caving is fun, talking about caving, dreaming about caving. It is "a lifestyle."
For the moent my target is TN, but as someone pointed out, I will like move to whereever she is. I just have to find a way to get the word out to the cavers and/or go to come events. If you have some single caver female friends...
Paul
prjrvp
Infrequent Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Kansas City Area Grotto - Former Member

Postby commanderzoom » Dec 12, 2010 9:56 pm

My friend has already tried getting me to hook him up with single female cavers. I'd do it if I knew any in his target age group.
commanderzoom
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 61484
Primary Grotto Affiliation: MVG

Postby sjphill » Dec 13, 2010 10:39 am

Consider moving to Cookeville, large university, halfway between nash and knox/ville. 700 caves in Putnam Cty, >1000 in white county to the south, including blue springs ( 36 m long). This is God's Country
Steve Phillips
Upper Cumberland Grotto
Cookeville Tn
sjphill
Infrequent Poster

Name: Steve
NSS #: 62631
Primary Grotto Affiliation: upper cumberland grotto

Postby prjrvp » Dec 14, 2010 9:39 am

sjphill wrote:Consider moving to Cookeville, large university, halfway between nash and knoxville. 700 caves in Putnam Cty, >1000 in white county to the south, including blue springs ( 36 m long). This is God's Country
...Noted! - Thanks Steve.
prjrvp
Infrequent Poster

Postby Tom Gilleland » Dec 14, 2010 11:05 pm

prjrvp wrote:I live in central Florida where there are no caves.

What are you talking about, there are hundreds of caves right beneath your feet in Central Florida. They are just all underwater- join the cave diving section! :big grin:
Tom Gilleland
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 26508
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Southern Arizona Grotto

Postby prjrvp » Dec 14, 2010 11:16 pm

Tom Gilleland wrote:
prjrvp wrote:I live in central Florida where there are no caves.

What are you talking about, there are hundreds of caves right beneath your feet in Central Florida. They are just all underwater- join the cave diving section! :big grin:

That is something not for me. Dry & wet OK, but no underwater for me. :)
prjrvp
Infrequent Poster

Postby Pippin » Dec 15, 2010 12:18 pm

I live near Huntsville and often go caving after work. There are dozens of really nice caves within a 20 minute drive of my house. On the weekends, there are thousands of really, really nice caves within a one hour drive of my house. If I want to drive for a couple hours, that number jumps even higher. The same is true of Chattanooga, Nashville, and other areas in Tennessee. Don't move to Atlanta, the traffic is horrendous and caves aren't close to the city! :yikes: If you like good vertical caving, move somewhere near Jackson County, AL (Huntsville or Chattanooga). There are many spectacular caves in that area. But the best thing about caves anywhere in TAG is that we have pretty much anything you could ever want. Wet, dry, horizontal, vertical, we have it all. Plus, we have so many caves that you could live here your whole life and still not make it to every fabulous cave in the region. And I wouldn't move to the southwest if I were you. It seems like most of the good caves out there are on federal land and they're all getting closed for WNS. Here in TAG, most of our caves are on private land, and while some great caves are closed, there are still thousands of great ones that will remain open. Also, the Grottos in TAG are generally very welcoming of new people. I'm in the Huntsville Grotto and we try to help people new to the area meet other cavers and we'd take you on trips to some nice caves. I often meet up with cavers from all over TAG on the weekends, we're a friendly bunch here.
Pippin
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 22545

Postby boogercaver71 » Dec 15, 2010 2:04 pm

Pippin wrote:I live near Huntsville and often go caving after work. There are dozens of really nice caves within a 20 minute drive of my house. On the weekends, there are thousands of really, really nice caves within a one hour drive of my house. If I want to drive for a couple hours, that number jumps even higher. The same is true of Chattanooga, Nashville, and other areas in Tennessee. Don't move to Atlanta, the traffic is horrendous and caves aren't close to the city! :yikes: If you like good vertical caving, move somewhere near Jackson County, AL (Huntsville or Chattanooga). There are many spectacular caves in that area. But the best thing about caves anywhere in TAG is that we have pretty much anything you could ever want. Wet, dry, horizontal, vertical, we have it all. Plus, we have so many caves that you could live here your whole life and still not make it to every fabulous cave in the region. And I wouldn't move to the southwest if I were you. It seems like most of the good caves out there are on federal land and they're all getting closed for WNS. Here in TAG, most of our caves are on private land, and while some great caves are closed, there are still thousands of great ones that will remain open. Also, the Grottos in TAG are generally very welcoming of new people. I'm in the Huntsville Grotto and we try to help people new to the area meet other cavers and we'd take you on trips to some nice caves. I often meet up with cavers from all over TAG on the weekends, we're a friendly bunch here.

Your absolutely right Pippin. I have been to Tag on the Mountain twice, and I can truly say I met some of the warmest, most inviting cavers ever. People I had just met taking me caving, sharing their food and beer. I was a great experience.
boogercaver71
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 19471

Postby Jon » Jan 8, 2011 1:00 am

Tom is just proud oh his home states motto and doesn't want another state honing in on it. Maybe Florida could have "No dry caves to speak of" :shrug:
Jon
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 60164
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cochise County Cavers

Previous

Return to Caver Introductions