Federal land

Topics and issues of interest to cavers which are not related to caving. No political or religious discussions, please.

Moderator: Moderators

Federal land

Postby BrianC » Nov 29, 2010 4:40 pm

Obama just proposed selling off 8 billion dollars of federal land, probably some caves included. Before you get to excited, I would guess that the federal government will retain complete control including monitoring and surveillance.
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Federal land

Postby rlboyce » Nov 29, 2010 4:59 pm

With how much land costs nowadays, 8 billion dollars may only equate to a few thousand acres... :tonguecheek:
Happiness can be measured in mud/in².
rlboyce
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Ryan Boyce

Postby Mudduck » Nov 29, 2010 5:13 pm

BrianC wrote:Obama just proposed selling off 8 billion dollars of federal land, probably some caves included. Before you get to excited, I would guess that the federal government will retain complete control including monitoring and surveillance.

Did you find this online, if so could you provide a link(or info). I have a lot of comments on this but fear I'd quickly voilate TOS so I'll keep it to myself.
I think I can...I think I can...I think I can
Mudduck
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Bill Reed
NSS #: 60046
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Currently a Lone caver

Postby BrianC » Nov 29, 2010 5:39 pm

Mudduck wrote:
BrianC wrote:Obama just proposed selling off 8 billion dollars of federal land, probably some caves included. Before you get to excited, I would guess that the federal government will retain complete control including monitoring and surveillance.

Did you find this online, if so could you provide a link(or info). I have a lot of comments on this but fear I'd quickly voilate TOS so I'll keep it to myself.

Obama on C-Span this afternoon.
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby batrotter » Nov 30, 2010 7:07 am

Where is this land located?
batrotter
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Bruce Trotter
NSS #: 27849RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Cave Survey

Postby LukeM » Nov 30, 2010 9:49 am

LukeM
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Luke Mazza
NSS #: 59317
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby Caverdale » Nov 30, 2010 10:34 am

There is nothing new here. This proposal has been around for several years, the last time from the Bush administration. About three years ago, an acquaintance who taught at a university, got hold of the list for the state of Utah and sent it to me for comment. I went though the whole thing, a tedious and time-consuming task. I personally wouldn't have bought any of the land even if I had the spare cash. Most of the land was surrounded by non-US government owners, mostly private but also local communities. Most had no surface water or any kind of water rights, and no ready access to electric power. Some parcels were isolated by several miles from the nearest government land and had virtually no access. The list of reasons for declaring the property as useless to the government goes on and on. Yes, there were a few instances where I had questions, but given the overall picture, it appeared that I didn't really have enough information to make an adequate judgment. Before you throw yourself on the floor, kick your heels and pound your fists at Obama's proposal, I suggest that you first get more information.
Dale Green
NSS 3669FE
Caverdale
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Dale Green
NSS #: 3669FE, LB
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Salt Lake Grotto

Return to Open Talk Forum