Next generation cave mapping

Techniques, equipment and issues. Also visit the NSS Survey & Cartography Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Next generation cave mapping

Postby lleblanc » Sep 10, 2010 9:27 am

lleblanc
Frequent Poster

Name: Luc Le Blanc

Re: Next generation cave mapping

Postby Martin Sluka » Sep 10, 2010 10:16 am

lleblanc wrote:http://But can you crawl with it?

Wait 10 years, Luck! But the description of a cave is not only 3D inner surface, isn't it. ;o)
Martin Sluka
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Martin Sluka
NSS #: 29010

Postby KeyserSoze » Nov 27, 2010 7:18 pm

This is not the first instance of equipment that can achieve 3Dmapping in caves. I know a caver who was on a 3D mapping trip with equipment like this in Mammoth Cave, Kentucky. The equipment that he observed was not attached to a backpack though. It will be interesting to see how this technology improves over the years. One day I will be the old man caver complaining about how easy the modern cavers have it with their new fancy equipment, "in my day we mapped with a compass and tape measure. We had to draw every cave passage. You people these days can do more work in one day than we could do in a year". How sad will it be when the new generation comes along and replaces all of that hard work with such ease.
This signature is really funny
KeyserSoze
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 61069
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Louisville Grotto

Postby pub » Nov 29, 2010 3:16 am

James Rice on SoCal Grotto Yahoo Group wrote:I think cave mapping is about to change radically. Anyone who has surveyed a cave, has wished there were an easier way to do it. Let's imagine a hand-held devise, like a video camera, that would let you map a cave, just as easily as shooting a video. That technology exists. Now if only the price were affordable. It is.

This video is using a laptop computer, and the equivalent of a *$200* Kinect game control camera. Wow.

http://www.youtube.com/user/RGBDvision# ... Rn34pmD5ww

Here's a fly through of (I think) the map made in the video above.

http://www.youtube.com/user/RGBDvision# ... u5Ywwb4RaU

Here they are mapping a single room. Watch the point cloud develop.

http://www.youtube.com/user/RGBDvision# ... 4wXflsoDrY
Balincaguin comes from the Zambal phrase, "Bali lan caguing" meaning "house of bats."
This was the former name of the Municipality of Mabini, Pangasinan, when it was part of the Province of Zambales (of Mt. Pinatubo Volcano fame).
pub
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: jerry rendon
NSS #: 61437
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Balincaguin Conservancy Grotto [Primary] + SoCal Grotto

Postby Aaron Addison » Nov 29, 2010 8:10 pm

We have been investigating some of these types of technology. Some interesting things are afoot.

Cheers,

AA
------------------------------
Aaron Addison
Stop and ask yourself - "What is this map for?"
Aaron Addison
Prolific Poster

Postby commanderzoom » Dec 22, 2010 12:42 am

Wow, that thing's enormous!

I don't think I'll be able to learn cave mapping with all this new technology that comes out. I know I can handle the old school compass & tape measure method (just need someone to teach me or a book to read) but using computer programs to create maps? That sounds complicated. I definitely couldn't manage to take something like that beast into a cave without screwing it up--I bet nobody could unless they were in all huge borehole passages. Love to see what the technology for something like that looks like in 20 years, though.
commanderzoom
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 61484
Primary Grotto Affiliation: MVG

Return to Survey and Cartography Forum