Anybody on this forum from Denver?

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Anybody on this forum from Denver?

Postby Kelly U » Sep 21, 2005 7:08 am

I will be in the Denver area on the 12th through the 15th (Saturday) - taking a class at the School of Mines in Golden.

I am off the last half of Saturday and would love to take in a local cave. Got any caves in Denver??
Kelly U

Postby Floyd Collins » Sep 21, 2005 9:34 am

Alas, Denver is not in a cave-rich area, but there are significant caves within a one hour to 90 minute drive from the metropolitan area.

The Cave of the Winds area near Manitou Springs is probably the closest, with over 70 known caves. The Williams Canyon Project of the NSS can provide access to the caves of the canyon for NSS members and friends from out of state. For information regarding the project, visit http://www.ColoradoCaves.org.

Depending on how quickly winter arrives this October, there also are caves in Colorado's high country, at elevations from 8000 to 11000+ feet. Caves are found south of Eagle, about two hours west of Denver, and north of Glenwood Springs, about three hours west of Denver.

Finally, about 10 minutes west of Golden, there are the Fault Caves in Clear Creek Canyon. These granite fault caves are dusty and filled with cactus spines, but they offer an opportunity to get underground if time is short.
Richard Rhinehart
Western American Caver
Denver, Colorado
Floyd Collins
Occasional Poster

Postby Kelly U » Sep 23, 2005 6:10 am

Thanks Richard. Colorado caving sounds really interesting! I think I'm going to try to check out the fault caves on the weekday evenings. Never been to a granite cave, and have been wanting to go. Then Dan S. has offered to take me caving somewhere on Saturday afternoon. I'm really looking forward to it!

-Kelly
Kelly U

Postby Pippin » Sep 23, 2005 2:28 pm

Be sure to go to the Denver Museum of Natural History. They have an absolutely fantastic gem and mineral exhibit!
Pippin
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 22545

Postby Lava » Sep 23, 2005 3:07 pm

I went caving in Colorado once. The highlight was Hurricane Cave, a wet granite cave at the base of Pike's Peak. Everybody in the local grottos warned me away from it, but Mike Frasier took us and it was a total blast and the best cave we did the whole trip.
Lava
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Bruce White
NSS #: 39223
Primary Grotto Affiliation: San Francisco Bay Chapter

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum