South-central TN beginner caver

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

South-central TN beginner caver

Postby cdshan » Oct 24, 2010 12:22 pm

Hi, I live in TN but am actually closer to Huntsville than any grotto in TN. I am interested in beginning caving and am not sure as to how to begin. I have never been in a cave other than commercial, guided tours. I am learning rappelling and climbing, now, and am acquiring my essential gear. My son is 11 and loves the outdoors and nature in general and would like to begin, also, with very basic caves. Does anyone have advice as to how to get started? I don't know anyone in my area who is caving or who might be interested in doing so.
Thanks,
Chris
cdshan
Infrequent Poster

Re: South-central TN beginner caver

Postby Marduke » Oct 24, 2010 12:53 pm

I would recommend getting together with the Huntsville Grotto.

http://www.caves.org/grotto/huntsville/

We have a number of members who live just across the border in TN. We meet the first Wednesday of every month at the Huntsville Public Library at 7:00 PM in a meeting room just inside the front door and to the right. Our next meeting is November 3rd. At the meetings you can meet the people, learn about the basics, and sign up for upcoming trips. We have two Grotto sponsored trips each month, a horizontal and vertical trip. In addition, there are numerous private trips going on every weekend, and SRT training/practice sessions about twice a month, or as needed/wanted.

Once you start going to the meetings and some of the trips, you get to know people and get invited on many of the private trips also.

Hope to see you at the next meeting. :waving:
Warning: Don't use this forum! Only armchair cavers and trolls reside here.
Marduke
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: South-central TN beginner caver

Postby cdshan » Oct 24, 2010 9:45 pm

Thanks, Marduke. That's what I'll do. Thanks for the info and I hope to meet you at the next meeting.
Chris
cdshan
Infrequent Poster

Return to Caver Introductions