Foxfury Performance Series Light

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Foxfury Performance Series Light

Postby Dangerjudy » Sep 6, 2005 8:26 am

Hi everybody. I have the new light from Foxfury, the ' Performance Series' light.

It's much smaller than their 'Signature Series' light, and less expensive.
However, I think the Performance Series light will be better for caving, because the LEDs are enclosed in a plastic waterproof case.

Also, unlike the Signature Series, the Performance Series has an on/off switch. It's located on the top of the case enclosing the LEDs.
You can also see how the light swivels down from a front forward position if needed.

Four AA batteries are inside a waterproof case on the back of the helmet. There are two O-Rings to make the case waterproof to 20 ft.

There are 24 LEDs, four green.
Dangerjudy
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 49720
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham Grotto

More on the Foxfury Performance Series light

Postby Dangerjudy » Sep 6, 2005 8:34 am

I'm pleased with the light. I took it to Snail Shell cave and it performed perfectly. I did not submerse it to check the waterproofness, though.

It gives out plenty of light. I'm used to a TAG light which gives more of a bright beam; I have to get used to the wide, diffused area light of the Foxfury.

The CONS of this light - it feels delicate. I'm not sure how it will hold up to rigorous caving. One solution I'm considering is sculpting a protective case for the light assembly out of mini-cell foam, and just glueing this foam to my helmet.

I have had no problems with the light itself working, but my friend Julie Fee has had her Signature Series fail twice now. I have also heard from Myrna that her Signature Series failed too. in the S. Series the LEDs are not enclosed in anything. I'm wondering if this is contributing to the failure of the S. Series light in caves.

The folks at Foxfury are very nice and I know that they handle warranty issues well - just a thought on my part that the Performance Series, while costing less, is actually the better light for caving.

Anyway, that's it - feel free to ask questions! :)
Dangerjudy
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby nordicjw » Sep 6, 2005 12:56 pm

I also have the new Foxfury light. So far I am happy with the light output, but do have a concern about the duribilty of the led case. I have covered the bottom edge of the case with tape. I was getting a reflection of light into my eyes. Not real serious, distracting though. I've also given thought to covering the clear face with 3m self sealing laminate, works great on protecting watch faces, gps screens. When it gets scratched up, pull it off and put on a new piece.
nordicjw
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 56861
Primary Grotto Affiliation: ccg

Foxfury Performance

Postby Alex Sproul » Sep 7, 2005 1:38 pm

Wow, DangerJudy! Nice testimonial for the new FoxFury Performance! Couldn't have done it better myself! Nice (though huge) pics, too!

I'm pleased that the FoxFury folks LISTENED to the constructive criticism I and other cavers gave them as feedback. They incorporated ALL our ideas in this second-generation model!

It's a great light at a modest price.

Alex
Alex Sproul
NSS 8086RL/OS
Alex Sproul
Frequent Poster

Name: Alex Sproul
NSS #: 8086RL/OS

Pictures

Postby Dangerjudy » Sep 8, 2005 7:57 am

The pictures are 640x480. That's not huge.
Dangerjudy
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Pictures

Postby Alex Sproul » Sep 8, 2005 10:29 am

Dangerjudy wrote:The pictures are 640x480. That's not huge.

Huge is relative. My point was only that in this forum, they take up more space than they need have.

Thanks for posting them, though!

Alex
Alex Sproul
NSS 8086RL/OS
Alex Sproul
Frequent Poster

Name: Alex Sproul
NSS #: 8086RL/OS

Re: Pictures

Postby mgmills » Sep 8, 2005 1:19 pm

Dangerjudy wrote:The pictures are 640x480. That's not huge.

As Alex pointed out "huge is relative" - I live in a rural area and have a slow dial-up - avg connection speed is 19,800 - sometimes less and never over 24,000. I can't get DSL and satallite is not an option as I don't have a good clear path for a satallite receiver. It was my choice to not live in the city so I'm not complaining.

I did finally see the pictures and they are good and help those not familiar with the light understand it.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Name: Martha Mills
NSS #: 39864
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby FoxFury » Sep 12, 2005 3:16 pm

Hi Everyone

It is great to hear the feedback on our new Performance Series lights. We are always trying to improve upon our products.--your feedback is therefore extremely helpful in this regard.

I just want everyone to know that our Performance Series lights have a Polycarbonate housing, including the shield. While they may appear delicate (due to their light weight and small size), I assure you they are durable. While you may scratch the shield, you will not be able to crack it.

Thanks again for all of your questions and feedback. Please keep it coming.
FoxFury
Infrequent Poster

Light

Postby speloman » Sep 12, 2005 8:36 pm

Is there a good warrenty? Many cavers can break anything. If it breaks how is the warranty?
speloman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Justin Gleason
NSS #: 48217RE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Northern Nevada Grotto

Postby FoxFury » Sep 13, 2005 4:42 pm

Hi Speloman

Our warranty is as follows:

"We warrant all of our products to be free of any defects in materials and workmanship for a period of one year from the original date of purchase.

We are not responsible for damage due to normal wear and tear, abuse, negligence and/or accidents, or by any use for which this product is not intended."

Hope that helps.
FoxFury Personal Lighting Solutions: Hands-Free Application-Specific LED Lights
http://www.FoxFury.com
FoxFury
Infrequent Poster

Postby Vader » Sep 13, 2005 9:31 pm

I got my first FoxFurylight about 2 weeks ago. It was a performance series outdoor edition light. This model has 20 white LED’s and 4 Green ones.

I used it to do some night Geocaching and some work in the backyard after dark. After a few days of use I could still not adjust to the Green LED's.

Because the Green LED’s are located towards the outside of the arc of lights and not in the middle they make an area on either side of you (at about a 30 degree angle) that has a green tint to it, while the area directly in front of you is for the most part white. When you turn your head, things change color.

I contacted Alex at IMO (where I bought the light) and at the time he was un-able to help. Thankfully Andrea at FoxFury was more than happy to do an exchange for me. I exchanged the Outdoor edition for the Tactical Edition. The Tactical Edition has 24 white LED's and 0 Green. I am extremely happy with the new light.

Because it is all white, the light seems to be more uniform. I did go out and buy a small 3 Green LED cats eye light. It is much easier to see the benefit of the Green light mixed in with the white when the Green light shines directly in front of you and mixes with the white better.
Vader
Frequent Poster

Re: More on the Foxfury Performance Series light

Postby caverjules » Sep 14, 2005 10:12 am

Dangerjudy wrote:
I have had no problems with the light itself working, but my friend Julie Fee has had her Signature Series fail twice now. I have also heard from Myrna that her Signature Series failed too. in the S. Series the LEDs are not enclosed in anything. I'm wondering if this is contributing to the failure of the S. Series light in caves.

The folks at Foxfury are very nice and I know that they handle warranty issues well...

Yes- I am on my second light, and it worked only half of the first caving trip I took it on- I'm not sure what the issue is, but only one half of the lights work at one time. I haven't contacted Fox Fury again yet, but I am hoping to have my more expensive light swapped for the newer, less expensive version. I wouldn't keep trying if it weren't for the fact that I REALLY like this light.

I also purchased my original light from IMO, but was told to deal with Fox Fury when I told IMO that the light was defective (it quit working completely after using it only three times). The people at Fox Fury have been extremely helpful and will continue to get my business- Scott is even thinking of getting the newer version from them as well.
caverjules
Occasional Poster

Postby FoxFury » Sep 27, 2005 12:42 pm

Hello again:)

Thank you all for your feedback. Please keep it coming.

We are looking to keep our website (http://www.FoxFury.com) as fresh as possible in terms of product info and photos.

We would welcome any photos (caving or other) that you have of our lights, especially the Performance light. The photos would be posted in our site's "Photo Gallery."

Please PM if you are interested. If we like your photo, we'll post it and be sure to give you credit (if you would like).

Thanks,

Antonio
FoxFury Personal Lighting Solutions: Hands-Free Application-Specific LED Lights
http://www.FoxFury.com
FoxFury
Infrequent Poster

Postby Ralph E. Powers » Sep 27, 2005 9:54 pm

??? $$$$ ????

just out of curiosity ya know? :wink:
Ralph E. Powers
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 37616

Postby Vader » Sep 28, 2005 6:32 pm

FoxFury sells the outdoor signature for 90$. Not cheep, but if it holds up well over time, ( IMO ) it will be worth it.
Vader
Frequent Poster

Next

Return to Equipment Forum