New mask provides 5 times the field of vision

Questions, techniques, gear, safety. Also visit the NSS Cave Diving Section.

Moderator: Moderators

New mask provides 5 times the field of vision

Postby zenas » Sep 20, 2005 4:01 pm

Image New mask provides 5 times the field of vision

If you're dissatisfied with a limited underwater view when diving, then you might be interested to learn about Hydrooptix' Mega-4.5d mask. After years of engineering, Jon Kranhouse – with the help of Hollywood computer gurus, who helped correct the once-fuzzy Hubble Space Telescope – has developed a mask that reportedly provides "a view almost five times wider than the view available through conventional flat masks, and the vision is completely distortion free." Sounds great! But there is one small drawback...

Source & more details at http://divesouthafrica.blogspot.com/200 ... des-5.html
Worldwide Caving News
http://www.zenas.gr/WCN

NSS #00000
zenas
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby hunter » Sep 21, 2005 5:48 pm

I don't cave dive but even with the limited amount of diving I do this looks pretty neat. I use contacts with a -4.0 correction. Given the hassle of contacts or the cost of inserts for my mask 200$ for something like this doesn't seem bad. Does anyone actually have experience using this? Especially if you are naturally nearsighted like I am?

Hunter
hunter
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby wendy » Sep 21, 2005 5:52 pm

Actually most cave divers prefer low volumn masks, at least I do.
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby kelly » Sep 21, 2005 7:13 pm

wendy wrote:Actually most cave divers prefer low volumn masks, at least I do.

Agreed. Also prefer a mask with black silicone body so it will cut down on the extraneous light in my periphery.
kelly
Occasional Poster

Postby filox1 » Sep 26, 2005 1:21 pm

Hi Zenas,
Agree with Wendy, for cave diving low profile is the norm, my favorite and the only one I use on caves is the Scuba pro Fameless,

The hidrooptics mask may be great to see the fishies in the warm, hi vis, Caribbean waters, but not for caves.

Be sides, You may not know this Zenas, but if you have a good set of eyes and want to use this mask, you will have to use prescription contacts, and you will be able to see only under water, once you surface you will have to use some funny looking glasses they provide for surface use, in other words, you be blind as a fish or as a bat as soon as you take off the mask.
Also if you never use contacts you will need to get use to them if you want to use this product.

Check this link to learn more:

http://www.escafandra.com/userscripts/visita.php?pagina=http://www.hydrooptix.com/allmega.htm

For the above I will say this mask is not for cave diving....

Cheers.
Helios.

By the way Zenas How is the cave-diving in Greece
filox1
Occasional Poster

Postby zenas » Sep 26, 2005 2:33 pm

filox1 wrote:By the way Zenas How is the cave-diving in Greece

Hi Helios,

General info about cave diving in Greece you can find at:
http://www.cavediving.gr/index_en.html

p.s. Helios is a real name? sounds very greek :)
Worldwide Caving News
http://www.zenas.gr/WCN

NSS #00000
zenas
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby filox1 » Sep 27, 2005 12:46 pm

Hi Zenas,

Yes my name is Greek, I have the blood but was born in Mexico, Thanks for the information looks like those caves are hard to get to and difficult to dive. Nice... :wink:

What is the availability of steel doubles over there, or do you dive side-mounted?

I always wanted to see Greece and knowing that there is good cave diving the incentive intensifies.

We have lots of good cave diving in Mexico, Springs (Nacimientos) sumps (sifones) sink holes (cenotes) you named we have it.

Helios
είναι ασφαλήσ
filox1
Occasional Poster

Postby George Dasher » Sep 28, 2005 8:41 am

I've been wearing contacts while diving for about five years, and I have -8 vision.

I've had almost zero problems, and wearing contacts is a trillion percent better than using inserts or masks with corrective lens.

The only problems I've had were once in a bad rain storm on a dive boat (that was rockin' and rollin') and once when I didn't get a good fit with my hood--I ended up clearing my mask about ten times underwater. In both cases one contact washed out and was lying in the bottom of my mask.

Of course, the bad news on that last experience was that I scatched my eye "looking for" the lost contact. It became infected and I ended up in the hospital. But if I had just looked in my mask first...
George Dasher
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16643
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Charleston Grotto

Postby George Dasher » Sep 28, 2005 8:41 am

I've been wearing contacts while diving for about five years, and I have -8 vision.

I've had almost zero problems, and wearing contacts is a trillion percent better than using inserts or masks with corrective lens.

The only problems I've had were once in a bad rain storm on a dive boat (that was rockin' and rollin') and once when I didn't get a good fit with my hood--I ended up clearing my mask about ten times underwater. In both cases one contact washed out and was lying in the bottom of my mask.

Of course, the bad news on that last experience was that I scatched my eye "looking for" the lost contact. It became infected and I ended up in the hospital. But if I had just looked in my mask first...
George Dasher
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16643
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Charleston Grotto

Postby FreeFloat » Oct 14, 2005 1:27 am

I've seen this mask in the flesh. It's certainly NOT low volume, not even close, and I (and most of the divers I know) wouldn't be caught dead in it. It looks like a space alien's helmet. Plus, it's chunkier and a bit heavier than your average mask. And forget slipping it into your pocket as a backup (unless you have a huge, empty pocket to devote to the task)

To be honest I don't think the dive shop has sold more than one or two.
FreeFloat
Toronto, Ontario

Newbie question #1: Where does this go?
Newbie answer #1: Get in there and find out!

Newbie question #2: How deep/far/big/small is that?
Newbie answer #2: See Newbie Answer #1.
FreeFloat
Infrequent Poster

Return to Cave Diving Forum