Measuring cave depth

Techniques, equipment and issues. Also visit the NSS Survey & Cartography Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Measuring cave depth

Postby deepcave1 » Jul 19, 2010 8:08 pm

hey guys,
i know this post doesnt really belong on this thread, but i am looking for some help. what is the best way to accurately measure your depth from the cave mouth? thanks in advance of any help you may could give me!
Last edited by NZcaver on Jul 21, 2010 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split topic
deepcave1
New Poster

NSS #: 62394
Primary Grotto Affiliation: tennessee cave survey

Re: Measuring cave depth

Postby Jeff Bartlett » Jul 21, 2010 10:27 am

deepcave1 wrote:hey guys,
i know this post doesnt really belong on this thread, but i am looking for some help. what is the best way to accurately measure your depth from the cave mouth? thanks in advance of any help you may could give me!

Survey the cave with compass, tape and clinometer. Enter into a cave survey program like Walls or Compass to derive the vertical extent.
"Although it pains me to say it, in this case Jeff is right. Plan accordingly." --Andy Armstrong
Jeff Bartlett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Bartlett
NSS #: 59325
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Tennessee Cave Survey

Postby Phil Winkler » Jul 21, 2010 2:41 pm

Or, survey as Jeff says and use trigonometry to determine the vertical extent of each measured angle shot. The sum of the vertical extents of each angle = the total depth of the cave. Keep in mind that some shots may go back up, too.
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Postby Scott McCrea » Jul 21, 2010 2:52 pm

Survey is the most accurate way. And, every cave deserves to be surveyed. But, for a quick and dirty depth, try an altimeter.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby Jeff Bartlett » Jul 21, 2010 3:10 pm

Phil Winkler wrote:Or, survey as Jeff says and use trigonometry to determine the vertical extent of each measured angle shot. The sum of the vertical extents of each angle = the total depth of the cave. Keep in mind that some shots may go back up, too.

This is going to come across as incendiary, and it's not intended as such, but... why even bother suggesting that? If the poster is computer-savvy enough to post on a message board, then I assume he or she is savvy enough to learn free software like the cave survey programs we mentioned. What's the point of working up the trig, by hand, instead? Dude just wants to know how deep the cave is, and we're dropping a T-word on him?

Sometimes I feel like we offer 3 or 4 solutions to inquisitive new posters, as a matter of course, when they might be better-served for us to say "here is what's generally accepted as the best/easiest" way and proceeded to helping them down that path if necessary.
"Although it pains me to say it, in this case Jeff is right. Plan accordingly." --Andy Armstrong
Jeff Bartlett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Phil Winkler » Jul 21, 2010 3:13 pm

I like the altimeter suggestion best. :rofl:
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

Postby NZcaver » Jul 21, 2010 4:30 pm

Phil Winkler wrote:I like the altimeter suggestion best. :rofl:

Me too. :kewl:

Jeff Bartlett wrote:Sometimes I feel like we offer 3 or 4 solutions to inquisitive new posters, as a matter of course, when they might be better-served for us to say "here is what's generally accepted as the best/easiest" way and proceeded to helping them down that path if necessary.

Like with vertical systems? :shrug:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Jeff Bartlett » Jul 22, 2010 8:43 am

NZcaver wrote:
Jeff Bartlett wrote:Sometimes I feel like we offer 3 or 4 solutions to inquisitive new posters, as a matter of course, when they might be better-served for us to say "here is what's generally accepted as the best/easiest" way and proceeded to helping them down that path if necessary.

Like with vertical systems? :shrug:

Yep, those threads seem to always degenerate into "or you could do THIS or THIS" responses that do nothing to answer the original question. Phil, I didn't mean this as an attack or anything, I've done exactly the same thing on more than one occasion, I kinda felt bad after posting. I dunno, I try to think of how our cavechat posts are going to remain google-able on an essentially permanent basis and there will never be a shortage of new cavers looking to the board for advice. The original poster asked for the best way to accurately measure cave depth; does anyone on this board actually disagree that the best-practice is a proper survey used in conjunction with modern software?
Jeff Bartlett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Phil Winkler » Jul 22, 2010 8:56 am

Jeff, no offense taken. However, IMO, saying what is best is simply the speaker's/writer's opinion. Ultimately, the accuracy of the survey determines the depth. Rarely is anyone else going to do a re-survey to check the accuracy. I just think that doing the math manually is important to understand how the computer does it automagically. I've never used either of those programs, but haven't surveyed in years either. The last cave I surveyed was probably Scott's Cave in Madison Co, AL in the early 80's.
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

Postby George Dasher » Jul 23, 2010 7:53 am

Altimeters measure air pressure, which is not the same as elevation in a blowing cave.
George Dasher
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16643
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Charleston Grotto

Postby trogman » Jul 23, 2010 9:12 am

Everyone has their own preferred method. I get all my survey data, and then plug the numbers into AutoCAD as a line plot. Then I simply check the Y axis distance from the highest to the lowest point, and that gives me my vertical extent. I have used one of those cave mapping programs once or twice, but it just didn't work good for me. Maybe if I worked with it more, I would grow to like it, but sometimes us older folks ( :yikes: , am I really one of those now?) get set in our ways, and continue to use what has always worked for us despite someone coming up with an "easier" method.

Trogman :helmet:
trogman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Stephen Brewer
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Gadsden Grotto

Postby Dwight Livingston » Jul 23, 2010 2:13 pm

And if all you want is depth, you don't need a compass and your plot can be flat, like on graph paper with a protractor. Of course, seems a waste of time if you don't get a full survey.
Dwight Livingston
Dwight Livingston
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 27411
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Baltimore Grotto

Postby gdstorrick » Jul 24, 2010 8:13 am

Post deleted.
Last edited by gdstorrick on Jul 10, 2012 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
gdstorrick
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Gary Storrick
NSS #: 12967
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Pittsburgh

Postby gdstorrick » Jul 24, 2010 8:20 am

Post deleted.
Last edited by gdstorrick on Jul 10, 2012 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
gdstorrick
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Gary Storrick
NSS #: 12967
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Pittsburgh

Postby Anonymous_Coward » Jul 26, 2010 9:52 am

George Dasher wrote:Altimeters measure air pressure, which is not the same as elevation in a blowing cave.

Air pressure is not the same thing as elevation on the surface either, but it's pretty damn close. That's why altimeters are used to determine elevation above ground all the time. It works exactly the same way underground.

Pressure is always changing, be you above or below the surface. With calibration, an altimeter can a nice tool for learning about caves.
Andy Armstrong
American Carbide Council
Anonymous_Coward
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 45993RL FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Paha Sapa Grotto

Return to Survey and Cartography Forum