Building a bat house.

Please post all bat-related stories, discussions here.

Moderator: Moderators

Building a bat house.

Postby anthonytsi » Jun 29, 2010 4:51 pm

I am thinking about building a bat house. I live in Chattanooga TN if that has any effect on the type of house. Any plans or advice would be great! Thanks. :bananabat:
Lets go caving !
SCCI # 2763
anthonytsi
Prolific Poster

Re: Building a bat house.

Postby wendy » Jun 29, 2010 6:32 pm

they sell them at lowe's, at least the lowe's where i live
"Blessed are they who learn from their mistakes. For they shall make, if not necessarily fewer of them, different and more interesting ones."

"It's the good girls who keep diaries; the bad girls never have the time." - Tallulah Bankhead
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby boogercaver71 » Jun 29, 2010 6:44 pm

There are many websites that provide plans and materials lists. I know that the type of wood you use is important. One other thing, a friend of mine hung one and it sat empty until someone told him to smear fresh guano inside the box. That did the trick. In this day and age of WNS, getting fresh guano might be problematic.
boogercaver71
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 19471

Postby Cheryl Jones » Jun 29, 2010 10:45 pm

Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Postby wendy » Jun 30, 2010 4:28 pm

boogercaver71 wrote:There are many websites that provide plans and materials lists. I know that the type of wood you use is important. One other thing, a friend of mine hung one and it sat empty until someone told him to smear fresh guano inside the box. That did the trick. In this day and age of WNS, getting fresh guano might be problematic.

I also heard making a guano and water solution and put it in a spray bottle, then spray it around the bat house will attract them.

I have nothing but trees in my yard so I don't have a good place to put one. Afraid the hawks and owls would eat them.
"Blessed are they who learn from their mistakes. For they shall make, if not necessarily fewer of them, different and more interesting ones."

"It's the good girls who keep diaries; the bad girls never have the time." - Tallulah Bankhead
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby anthonytsi » Jul 7, 2010 5:02 pm

Thanks for the advice. This is going to be a fun project. :bananabat:
Lets go caving !
SCCI # 2763
anthonytsi
Prolific Poster

Postby ArCaver » Jul 7, 2010 7:35 pm

wendy wrote:
boogercaver71 wrote:There are many websites that provide plans and materials lists. I know that the type of wood you use is important. One other thing, a friend of mine hung one and it sat empty until someone told him to smear fresh guano inside the box. That did the trick. In this day and age of WNS, getting fresh guano might be problematic.

I also heard making a guano and water solution and put it in a spray bottle, then spray it around the bat house will attract them.

I have nothing but trees in my yard so I don't have a good place to put one. Afraid the hawks and owls would eat them.

I've heard that too, but with WNS proven to be spread bat to bat I would be reluctant to use guano. You would have no way of knowing if it has a disease causing organism in it.
:bat sticker:
ArCaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby anthonytsi » Jul 8, 2010 4:17 pm

Good point.
Lets go caving !
SCCI # 2763
anthonytsi
Prolific Poster

Return to Everything Bats