Potosi Cave Ale

Topics and issues of interest to cavers which are not related to caving. No political or religious discussions, please.

Moderator: Moderators

Potosi Cave Ale

Postby JR-Orion » Jun 28, 2010 7:36 pm

Is really quite tasty. I bought it on a whim but am really impressed with the flavor. Reminds me of Sierra Nevada, only smoother. You can really taste the malt and a hint of caramel.

Style: Potosi Cave Ale most closely falls into the English Strong Bitter style, sometimes referred to as an Extra Special Bitter or English Pale Ale. These beers have golden to copper color, medium to full body, and herbal hop qualities in both aroma and flavor.
---

Pure Malt Cave Ale was among the labels made popular during the brewery’s glory days in the 1940s and 50s. It’s also a reference to the actual caves that were once used by the Potosi Brewery. Visitors to the brewpub and museum can see inside the brewery’s former lagering cave that runs 75 feet into the adjacent hillside.
More info here:

http://www.thedailypage.com/daily/artic ... icle=29118

:kewl:
Letting the days go by / water flowing underground
Into the blue again / in the silent water
Under the rocks and stones / there is water underground.
JR-Orion
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jasen Rogers
NSS #: 61613
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Iowa Grotto

Re: Potosi Cave Ale

Postby John Lovaas » Jun 28, 2010 8:30 pm

Hi Jasen-

Are they brewing it in Potosi, or in Stevens Point? From the article, it sounds like Point might be brewing it- which isn't a bad thing; I love Point.

My 'scenic backroad' route to northeast Iowa goes right through Potosi; I'll have to stop by and pick up some. A fine auction item for the Iowa Grotto picnic auction- or any auction. Or picnic.
imbecile sheepherder.
John Lovaas
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Potosi Cave Ale

Postby JR-Orion » Jun 29, 2010 1:33 pm

John Lovaas wrote:Hi Jasen-

Are they brewing it in Potosi, or in Stevens Point? From the article, it sounds like Point might be brewing it- which isn't a bad thing; I love Point.

My 'scenic backroad' route to northeast Iowa goes right through Potosi; I'll have to stop by and pick up some. A fine auction item for the Iowa Grotto picnic auction- or any auction. Or picnic.

I'm not sure where they brew it. Never even heard of it until I saw it at a Hy-Vee store last night. Glad I tried it though. And

That would be fun for the auction. Since The Descent just showed up at my house on Blu-ray, I was thinking about bringing my older DVD copy of the movie for the auction. The Descent + Cave Ale could make for an interesting evening. :yikes:
Letting the days go by / water flowing underground
Into the blue again / in the silent water
Under the rocks and stones / there is water underground.
JR-Orion
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jasen Rogers
NSS #: 61613
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Iowa Grotto

Return to Open Talk Forum