Norton Antivirus a slide show killer: beware.

Techniques and equipment.

Moderator: Moderators

Norton Antivirus a slide show killer: beware.

Postby Dave Bunnell » Jun 1, 2010 6:56 pm

Picture this for frustrating:

You've just created your executable slide show masterpiece, it works fine, so you delete your original folder of images and the slide show project program that created it. A coulple weeks later, you install Norton Anti-virus. Your friends are in town and you gather 'round your computer monitor and fire up the show. It hesitates, then disappers from the folder you were launching it in. a pop-up informs you that Norton Sonar has removed a threat to your computer. No preliminary warning with a box to uncheck or check, the program has decided your file is a threat (basically because Norton has never heard of it, and can't vouch for it). You decide in frustration to eliminate Norton from your computer.

Now, the latter is reasonable based on their arrogance in being so Big Brother on us. But the idea for screening exe's is a good one. But Norton is never going to have a record of your unique executable file, and will continue to see it as "dangerous", unless you get online and "apply" for that executable to be allowed. Then you wait 7 days (I swear, this is what their Tech's solution was). However, despite what their Tech says, you can go into the friggin' program "settings" dialog and turn this sucker off. For varying time periods, until you reboot, or forever until notified.

So, keep in mind if you are creating slide show EXE that they could get nuked by your own anti-virus program---or on a friend's machine that you had e-mailed the show to. Make good backups early in the production process. Having your show on a cd-rom ensures it can never be deleted, too, so Suck on that, Norton SONAR!

Aside from trying to alert folks, I am curious if others have had this problem.
NSS News Editor
Dave Bunnell
Prolific Poster

Re: Norton Antivirus a slide show killer: beware.

Postby NZcaver » Jun 1, 2010 7:35 pm

Thanks for posting about this, Dave. I can imagine your frustration with it.

I actually paid for Norton Antivirus once, about 10 years ago. I was never very impressed with it. Then as time goes by, they have the audacity to want more money to update the stupid thing! On the advice of a IT professional friend, I switched to AVG Free Antivirus and never looked back. A great product, and you can't beat the value for money (free). I've only made a few photo slideshows, but AVG has never interfered with any files like that.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Scott McCrea » Jun 1, 2010 7:53 pm

Dave, I always assumed you were a Mac guy.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby harrym » Jun 5, 2010 1:57 am

Norton is nothing but trouble, stopped using it years ago
Harry Marinakis
NSS #42832 Life
IUS Commission on Volcanic Caves
NACD Full Cave Diver
Monongahela Grotto, West Virginia
harrym
Prolific Poster

Name: Harry Marinakis
NSS #: 42832 Life
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Monongahela Grotto

Postby captnemo » Jun 5, 2010 12:23 pm

Yes, I gave up on Norton a long time ago. At the Porterville Convention the College staff recommended what NZcaver mentioned AVG as a free antivirus program (they wanted anyone connected to their network to be sure and have anti virus) I've been using it ever since and have been very happy with it.
captnemo
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 44985
Primary Grotto Affiliation: mother lode grotto

Postby LukeM » Jun 14, 2010 8:27 am

In addition to AVG free addition, Microsoft Security Essentials is (surprisingly) a nice, lightweight and unobtrusive anti-virus that I've been pretty impressed with.
LukeM
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Luke Mazza
NSS #: 59317
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby CaveGimp » Jun 17, 2010 4:16 pm

A few years back I was visiting my sister in CT. We went to watch my nephew's soccer game and I got to talking to one of the dads. He mentioned that he was the CFO for Symantic and asked me if I heard of their products. I told him yes I had and then went off on how I consider their products to be worse than most virus' out there. He went and stood at a different spot on the sidelines, away from me. I think I may have upset him by explaining that I consider any piece of software that slows my machine down to a near crawl is a virus. I haven't had Norton on any or my machines in years. At home I use AVG and its awesome.
CaveGimp
Frequent Poster

Name: Glenn Tooley
NSS #: 54570
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Central Arizona Grotto

Postby Vadosian » Jun 21, 2010 12:06 am

What's your experience with Kaspersky software? It definitely slows my computer down when it's updating, but so far it hasn't affected my video and sound files. I had the same experience with Norton - no more of that!

Your thoughts about Kaspersky please!
Vadosian
Occasional Poster

Postby Cheryl Jones » Jun 21, 2010 12:13 pm

I moved from huge sluggish Norton to AVG then to ESET, and am very happy with it. Faster to load and scan, and seems less intrusive. Hasn't affected video or image files/shows.
Interesting comparison charts on performance and speed of several antivirus programs, gathered from various testing sites http://www.eset.com/business/why-eset
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Postby ek » Jun 21, 2010 6:56 pm

LukeM wrote:In addition to AVG free addition, Microsoft Security Essentials is (surprisingly) a nice, lightweight and unobtrusive anti-virus that I've been pretty impressed with.

And it does anti-spyware too (incorporating the functionality of Microsoft Windows Defender).
Eliah Kagan
NSS 57892
Syracuse University Outing Club

Fund vital White Nose Syndrome research--donate to the NSS and select the WNS Rapid Response Fund.
Facebook users can also donate here.
ek
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Eliah Kagan
NSS #: 57892
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby barcelonacvr » Jun 21, 2010 7:29 pm

Vadosian wrote:What's your experience with Kaspersky software? It definitely slows my computer down when it's updating, but so far it hasn't affected my video and sound files. I had the same experience with Norton - no more of that!

Your thoughts about Kaspersky please!

I LOVE Kaspersky-I have used it for years when I am not using Linux.2010 is "slightly" slower than before but many times they were #1 or within the top 3 year after year in detection and protection.Kaspersky is also heavily involved in the industry and being proactive-they have always been serious about what they do.Well worth he money and a lot of times they have sales at retail stores ( I got 2010 security suite for $39)

The program "might" be not as user friendly as the crap called Norton or others but once through the curve-it runs well without any hiccups in my experience.I also do not have any slow down with updates( quad core/2gb RAM)

What are you running?
barcelonacvr
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Photography and Videography Forum