SERA Cave Carnival 2010 - June 17-20

NSS Conventions, regional caving events, local caving events. Please spell out event initials for new members.

Moderator: Moderators

SERA Cave Carnival 2010 - June 17-20

Postby mgmills » Oct 12, 2009 5:34 am

Graveleye, you asked in the Shoutbox about the SERA Cave Carnival.

Dates and location were announced by Maureen Handler from the stage Saturday night just before the door prizes . (I can understand how you missed it. . . I had trouble hearing much of what was said from the stage. . . not sure if it was the microphone system or the users of the system.) The event will be held June 17-20, 2010. The location is just off of I-24 at the Monteagle TN exit.

The site is the location used annually on Memorial Day weekend to host an event called "Thunder on the Rock". (Thunder on the Rock is a motorcycle campout/music festival which hosts a couple of thousand motorcycle enthusiasts every year.)

At the Cave-In there was also a notice posted at registration and I saw flyers posted in the porta-potties I visited (I assumed they were placed in all of the porta-potties but some may have been missed) and in the bathouse.

The event is being hosted by the Sewanee Mountain Grotto. The grotto had hoped to be able to announce registration info at the Cave-In but unforseen circumstances caused a cancellation of a planning meeting and registration details were not finalized in time. When the group gets it together it will be posted here with registration information. A downloadable mail-in registration form will be posted on the grotto website when the form is ready.

Sorry more details aren't available at this time but at least you can "save the dates" on your calendar. June 17-20, 2010.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Name: Martha Mills
NSS #: 39864
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Re: SERA Cave Carnival 2010 - June 17-20

Postby graveleye » Oct 12, 2009 3:41 pm

Thanks Martha, I figured we missed the announcement and we did. We walked up right as the door-prizes were getting started.
We'll definitely be at SERA in June... that's the weekend after my birthday, so you guys need to set up a special booth to put all my birthday presents in. :big grin:

Sorry we missed you this year at TAG... saw Glenn, but never ran into you!!
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby mgmills » Jan 24, 2010 4:18 pm

Registration form for 2010 is now available on line.

http://www.caves.org/grotto/sewaneemoun ... g_Form.pdf

Watch the Sewanee Mountain Grotto website for more information as the event nears.

May not be a lot of caves open by then :sad:, but the grotto is planning plenty of activities on site. :banana_yay:
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Postby wendy » Jan 24, 2010 8:51 pm

And the world's best chinese buffet is at the Monteagle exit off the interstate.
"Blessed are they who learn from their mistakes. For they shall make, if not necessarily fewer of them, different and more interesting ones."

"It's the good girls who keep diaries; the bad girls never have the time." - Tallulah Bankhead
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby mgmills » Mar 7, 2010 10:16 am

The Sewanee Mountain Grotto Website has been updated. More info about the SERA Cave Carniival event is posted there.

http://www.caves.org/grotto/sewaneemountaingrotto

Click on the SERA 2010 tab

If anyone is interested in being a vendor at the event contact me. Link to my e-mail is on this site or you can PM me from here. I'm also listed in the NSS Members manual

Permission is given to repost this message to various mailing lists or individuals.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Postby mgmills » Apr 19, 2010 7:23 pm

Pre-registration for this year's SERA Cave Carnival must be postmarked by May 1, 2010. Pre-reg saves you $5.00

Go to the website to download a registration form http://www.caves.org/grotto/sewaneemountaingrotto

Hope to see you there.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Postby CaverScott » Apr 21, 2010 10:33 am

My registration is in the mail. :grin:
CaverScott
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 19797L
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham CIG SCCi IKC

Postby Batgirl » Apr 28, 2010 12:53 pm

Really looking forward to some fun both above and below ground.........3 Cheers for SMG!

So much is happening at the Cave Carnival this year, it will take several posts to get it all out there. First off, I would like to highlight the guidebook. This year's guidebook will be 96 pages long. It will be fresh. That means, all new maps and cave descriptions, no "repeats"! These maps have not even been published by their respective cave surveys yet.

Here is a quick rundown minus a few surprises.
:Geological overview of Grundy and surrounding counties
:Geology field trip guide to accompany the Saturday afternoon field trip
:Historical accounts of cave exploration in Grundy and surrounding counties
:Articles from TAG's most active group of surveyors
:Accounts of the survey and exploration of Nunley Mt Cave System, Grundy County's premier cave
:Cave descriptions written by the actual explorers and surveyors
:Cave maps previously never before published in any guidebook
:Photos from several of TAG's finest that feature classic caves and TAG legends

More information will follow, usually every Saturday. Remember, preregistration ends May 1st, so get it in early and save 5 dollars. Go to http://www.facebook.com/l/65e13;www.cav ... taingrotto for
a downloadable form.

Mudpuppy
Chairman 2010
Batgirl
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Lynn Buffkin
NSS #: 60464
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sewanee Mountain Grotto

Return to Caver Events