Two cases of WNS confirmed IN MY HOUSE!!

Topics and issues of interest to cavers which are not related to caving. No political or religious discussions, please.

Moderator: Moderators

Two cases of WNS confirmed IN MY HOUSE!!

Postby graveleye » Mar 30, 2010 1:58 pm

It's true. WNS has appeared in my house. The first was an aging loaf of white bread that was contaminated with a white fungus that is a completely new species of the lethal green bread fungus. This loaf of bread was right next to a similarly infected loaf of French bread so obviously we have found the smoking gun.

Next case was in the coffee maker basket. The grounds were left in there for several days and the entire unit had to be decontaminated before use. I will never be able to carry this coffee maker caving again though.

The case of the infected coffee maker, however, raises concerns of possible human transmission. The bread is on one side of the kitchen, and the coffee maker is on the other side of the kitchen. The only logical way for it to have made such a large "jump" would have been if the spores would have been carried by a human from one side of the kitchen to the other.

It could not have been the cat, since the cat is not allowed on the counter, and I know that she does not get on the counter even if I am not around to fuss at her. She would never do that.

Until we get more information, please be advised that my kitchen is closed for all purposes until further notice. Researchers and biologists may enter, but only to cook meals for me.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Re: Two cases of WNS confirmed IN MY HOUSE!!

Postby Batgirl » Mar 30, 2010 2:02 pm

:yikes:
Batgirl
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Lynn Buffkin
NSS #: 60464
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sewanee Mountain Grotto

Postby graveleye » Mar 30, 2010 3:17 pm

It's true.

This is a travesty.
ad astra per aspera

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

graveleye
Global Moderator

Postby tncaver » Mar 30, 2010 3:47 pm

Spores can float in the air. The spores probably found their way from the French Bread to the White Bread and coffee maker via a normal migration
floating on the air. :laughing:
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby boogercaver71 » Mar 30, 2010 4:14 pm

I think the French Bread is the likely source
boogercaver71
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 19471

Postby BrianC » Mar 30, 2010 4:21 pm

Kevin, What you have is too many people in your habitat. Animals don't count. remove some of the people and the CO2 will lower enough, actually remove all the people and your WNS won't survive because the Global Warming will be corrected. Ask your neighbors to do the same and I believe you can get a tax credit. I will do my best over here in my neck of the woods.

You might also ask about getting a Climate Gate!
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Grandpa Caver » Mar 30, 2010 4:29 pm

A moratorium should be applied to all things French IE: French Bread, French Roast Coffee, French Toast, French Fries, etc. We must nip this in the bud! "Nip it, nip it, nip it" [Barney Fife]. Additionally all kitchens within a 250 block area of Graveleyes kitchen should be closed to visitation by all but properly deconaminated personel. USDA approved decon stations should also be placed at all possible kitchen entry sites in all surrounding counties.

Of course all for-profit enterprises shch as resturants, delis and diners will be exempt from this action. Tighten your belts folks. It's gonna be a long ride.
Brian Leavell
NSS 21862FE
Grandpa Caver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Brian Leavell
NSS #: 21862FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Eastern Indiana Grotto

Postby graveleye » Mar 30, 2010 4:58 pm

Grandpa Caver wrote: Additionally all kitchens within a 250 block area of Graveleyes kitchen should be closed to visitation...

everyone knows that once a kitchen is closed, they never get opened again!!

I WILL NOT STAND FOR THIS!!

I'm writing my congressmen, the USKBA (United States Kitchen and Bathroom Authority), and the CBD, Frank Zappa and Bono, and tell them that the only kitchens that need to be closed are those that harbor significant broccoli populations. Those need to be closed PERMANENTLY!!

In the meantime, I am installing a cat friendly kitchen gate. The litterbox is in the dining room, and the cat needs to be able to get through unencumbered.

We're doomed folks. This is bad. Really bad.
ad astra per aspera

graveleye
Global Moderator

Postby NZcaver » Mar 30, 2010 5:54 pm

I recommend immediate quarantine for the cat. On no account should it come into contact with other felines.

Make sure you thoroughly decontaminate any aprons or other kitchen clothing, and then confine them to your kitchen and possibly the kitchens of a few of your nearest neighbors. But only if those kitchens share the same drainage basin. If traveling to kitchens further afield, be sure to purchase a second complete set of kitchen clothing. You'll also need a new set of kitchen knives, utensils, dishes, pots, pans, scrubbers, and a coffee maker.

Oh, and insist that everybody wears Tyvec in the kitchen. Not just for protection, but because it's damn sexy.

NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby wyandottecaver » Mar 30, 2010 6:15 pm

Folks, no need to get wild eyed. lets look at the facts:

The bread (both White and French) developed fungus
the Coffee grounds developed fungus
In at least one case the bread was aged
the coffee grounds were aged
Humans have used the kitchen
a cat has used the kitchen
Neither humans not cats have yet been infected.
both strictnine and arsenic will kill or inhibit the fungus
The federal agency for government run housing and soup kitchens has closed all public food service facilities including homeless shelters and school kitchens and asks that people who own kitchens not allow anyone to enter including themselves.
If you do enter any kitchen please decon using strictnine and arsenic per guidelines

Thus:
once loaf bread and coffee grounds are gone kitchens will be safe
a captive population of bread (donuts) and coffee was collected but has dissapeared after the policemen assigned to their care ate them.
other items like coke and potato chips will fill the niche left by bread and coffee
While humans remain a possible vector, kitchens serve no function in society without them
cats should be removed from kitchens and euthanized as possible carriers of disease
those depending on public food service facilities should give up eating.

please send lots of money to the following groups:
Study group on the effect of green kitchen tiles on fungus spread
study group on life habits of cats
study group on sesame seed density on various breads

Please write your government to increase funding to:
Collegiate group for careful study of all things innane
Federal agency for government run housing and soup kitchens
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Fungus spreads to eastern Missouri kitchen

Postby Teresa » Mar 30, 2010 6:48 pm

OMG. :doh:
Graveleye, I just checked my refrigerator. I found green and white fungus on some old turkey gravy, and some pink fungus on a closed Tupperware container of formerly mashed potatoes.

The last time I was in Georgia it was driving through twice to the recent NSS convention in Gainesville, Florida several years ago. We had no kitchen fungus protocol in effect then, and except for some peaches and pecans, we did not bring anything back from Georgia. Those were eaten before we returned home, so I have no idea how transmission was effected. Perhaps fire ants? There were fire ants on the campground in Gainesville...they partly ate my nylon tent. But we did not (knowingly) bring any fire ants home with us. Can infected fire ants migrate into refrigerators with doors on them?

Since my trip to Georgia involved an NSS convention, this new FRS (Fungal Refrigerator Syndrome) is obviously spread by cavers and caving. Proof positive.

Quick. Everybody check your refrigerators...especially any leftovers. Leftovers stored in the freezer compartment seem to be safe, despite FRS being said to be cold-loving, since it only occurs in refrigerators.

I wonder if FRS is recombinant, and is evolving new species or the different colors are merely camouflage?

Arrrgh! We're all going to die!
Teresa
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby MUD » Mar 30, 2010 6:52 pm

:big grin: Y'all really should cave more! :waving:
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: None

Postby tncaver » Mar 30, 2010 7:19 pm

deleted.
Last edited by tncaver on Mar 30, 2010 8:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby boogercaver71 » Mar 30, 2010 7:33 pm

This is the only way to properly decon your gear and your self after contact with all foods starting with "French"

:yikes:
boogercaver71
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 19471

Postby Evan G » Mar 30, 2010 8:48 pm

Teresa wrote:I wonder if FRS is recombinant, and is evolving new species or the different colors are merely camouflage?

Kill it before it develops language skills!
Evan G
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: EEG
NSS #: 28685
Primary Grotto Affiliation: NRMG

Next

Return to Open Talk Forum