Rope Life

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Rope Life

Postby speloman » Sep 19, 2005 11:39 am

Hello Fellow Cavers. I was woundering what ya'll would do in my situation. I have a Blue Water 11mm Static Caving rope that hasn't been used. Usually when I go caving it was with my grotto. So we used there ropes, not mine. I have had this rope for 5 years that has been proporly stored in my gear closet. Blue Water Recomends if properly stored and not used, 5 years is the life of the rope. I have heard and was always tought 10 years is the life of nylon. I surely don't want to put mine or anyones life in danger, But would hate to trow away a unused rope. But if it is what I have to do :( I gues I have to. Just wanted to get some opinion on it.

Thanks
speloman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Justin Gleason
NSS #: 48217RE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Northern Nevada Grotto

Postby Cheryl Jones » Sep 19, 2005 12:14 pm

I was woundering what ya'll would do in my situation

Use your rope! Or better yet, just send it to me. :wink:

See http://www.caves.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=834#834

Cheryl
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Postby Scott McCrea » Sep 19, 2005 12:19 pm

How long is the rope? If you send me the rope, I will gladly test it in real world situations. It may take some time to test it in every scenario, but once completed, I will send a written evaluation of my findings.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Thanks

Postby speloman » Sep 19, 2005 12:23 pm

Thanks for your reply. I would feel safe on it. I pull my equiptment out once a month and check every thing out all the time. ( Boredom is my case ) But I have rappelled on ropes that have been well used and never felt unsafe. I always double and triple check the rope and its ancor points but this was just a question I had. Thanks I will I just moved to a place where I have some good rappelling places in my Back yard. (about 3 miles from my house). well thanks for you time and advice
speloman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Justin Gleason
NSS #: 48217RE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Northern Nevada Grotto

Postby ian mckenzie » Sep 19, 2005 5:51 pm

A few cavers have done cave rope testing which, added to anecdotal evidence, suggests that BW is amongst the toughest ropes out there, and is probably safe regardless of age as long as it has been well treated, stored properly, and is periodically inspected for frays or core damage. More than one ff1 drop-test has given up trying to break a used, 20-year-old BW because the tester became exhausted.

A five year old, unused BW? No problem.
ian mckenzie
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Alberta Speleological Society

Return to Equipment Forum