Cave Restoration Methods?

Cave conservation issues, techniques, questions. Also visit the NSS Cave Conservation and Management Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Cave Restoration Methods?

Postby Ralph E. Powers » Feb 4, 2010 5:40 pm

I currently work at a very popular show cave and have just recently begun assisting in some of the restoration work. The gentleman that I am working side by side (as his assistant) with has done a number of restoration of the broken speleothems in the cave but he admits that he's still learning the how-to's.
We plan on going down to the NSS Bookstore/Office sometime soon and I'm sure he'll purchase the newest book on the shelf "Cave Conservation & Restoration" but I am wondering if there isn't any other books that may provide techniques, ideas for materials and other related topics that may aid in the gentleman's endeavors. He's quite talented I must say yet only has a few materials on hand to work with.

Also if I'm not mistaken the Convention does hold a one day course on cave restoration? Can I have a bit more info about it? Is it a "hands on" type or ??

Are there cavers who can be contacted for more info? I know of one person and will contact him directly but I'm sure that there are quite a few others across the country.

Thanks in advance.
Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible. ~ Reinhold Messner

http://ralph.rigidtech.com/albums.php
Ralph E. Powers
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 37616

Re: Cave Restoration Methods?

Postby wyandottecaver » Feb 4, 2010 6:50 pm

Ralph,

cant recommend any specific books, but in my experience it depends on what kind of restoration you have in mind. are you putting humpty dumpty back together? Are you creating faked formations (or parts) to replace damaged ones, are you cleaning dirty formations, ect.

I have seen spectacular faked formations in show caves including flowstone, stals and rimstones, that were created using ready-mix concrete, paintbrushes for texture, and soil for coloring. Once hard they are perfect (practice first to color match). If you have access to broken pieces you can make sand molds. As far as putting pieces back together, generally Ive seen folks drill small holes in the center of each piece and use a glued in rod to give rigidity while gluing the rest. A little light soiling hides the crease.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Feb 4, 2010 11:22 pm

The book that springs to mind for me is the same NSS book you mentioned, Cave Conservation and Restoration.

There's been many chats here on the forum about restoration work. And some about the controversy of "damaging" the cave by removing graffiti etc.

Check out this topic and search for others on the forum using keywords like restoration.

PS Ralph - when you started this topic, it seems you also made a duplicate post in another forum. One post only, please. (I deleted your other one - there were no replies.)
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby graveleye » Feb 5, 2010 11:39 am

I have a copy of the cave restoration book above, and can attest that it is quite thorough.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby MUD » Feb 5, 2010 12:16 pm

graveleye wrote:I hate a copy of the cave restoration book above, and can attest that it is quite thorough.

:funny post: Amazing how a simple typo can change the whole meaning! :laughing:
I'm sure ya meant have graveleye! :big grin:
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: None

Postby graveleye » Feb 6, 2010 10:50 am

:doh:
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Return to Conservation Forum