New NSS Book: Blue Spring Cave

NSS News, other caving publications, and books.

Moderator: Moderators

New NSS Book: Blue Spring Cave

Postby kelli1992 » Feb 1, 2010 2:43 pm

NSS Publications make Fantastic Valentine's Day Gifts!
http://www.NSSBookstore.org
Last edited by Cheryl Jones on Feb 26, 2010 8:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Correct spelling in title
kelli1992
NSS Office

Name: KELLI DAVIS
NSS #: 59143

Re: NEW NSS PUBLICATION ANNOUCEMENT!!!

Postby driggs » Feb 1, 2010 9:33 pm

This is not a publication announcement, this is an advertisement.

:down:
driggs
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: David A. Riggs
NSS #: 56189
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Monongahela

Postby juselton » Feb 2, 2010 9:06 am

Thanks Kelli!
juselton
Frequent Poster

Name: Julie
NSS #: 57874

Postby Scoon1 » Feb 2, 2010 9:12 am

Hey Kelli, I'd like to reserve a hardback copy of the new book on Blue Springs please!!
Eric Schoonover
NSS, SCCi, DCG, SMG
Scoon1
Frequent Poster

Name: Eric Schoonover
NSS #: 51375
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sewannee Mountain Grotto Dogwood City Grotto

Postby tncaver » Feb 2, 2010 8:19 pm

Scoon1 wrote:Hey Kelli, I'd like to reserve a hardback copy of the new book on Blue Springs please!!

Likewise, I'd like to reserve two copies of the softbound addition Kelli. I plan to get them autographed by the author.
John Hutchison (formerly NSS11906)
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby wyandottecaver » Feb 2, 2010 8:44 pm

Formerly? you renounced your participation or just behind in dues :)
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby tncaver » Feb 2, 2010 9:13 pm

wyandottecaver wrote:Formerly? you renounced your participation or just behind in dues :)

wyandottecaver, you are very astute. I am not BEHIND on my dues. I have not renewed my NSS dues on purpose, to protest the lack of NSS support for cavers across the US. I don't think the NSS bookstore requires NSS membership to buy books. I may lose my discount but so what. If the NSS wants to deny my purchase of a book that I contributed to then so be it. I will get someone else to buy it for me.

Hey, everyone, buy the newest book, Blue Spring Cave by Larry Matthews and coauthored by Bill Walter (who contributed more miles to the Blue Spring Cave map than anyone else on the planet). Hey, hey, hey. Thanks for the opportunity to make a plug for the book, wyandottecaver. Buy it, you will like it.
John Hutchison (semi retired caver)
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Feb 3, 2010 3:15 am

For those who wish to reserve items from the NSS bookstore, I suggest you contact Kelli directly. The office staff may not regularly monitor the forum.

Email Kelli[at]caves[dot]org
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Larry E. Matthews » Feb 3, 2010 8:29 am

Although the Front Cover of the new "Blue Spring Cave" book says that Bill Walter and I wrote it, the truth of the matter is that many, many people contributed their exciting stories of discovery and adventure. You'll be pleased to see who these people were:

1. Joel Buckner
2. Tamra Caplenor
3. Trey Caplenor
4. Lonnie Carr
5. Anne Elmore
6. Clinton Elmore
7. Lamar Hires
8. Fred J. Hutchinson
9. Woody Jasper
10. Pat Kambesis
11. Buddy Lane
12. Hal Love
13. Gerald Moni
14. Doug Plemons
15. Andy Porter
16. Chrissy Richards
17. Jason Richards
18. Mike Rogers
19. Jim Smith
20. Marion O. Smith
21. Elliot Stahl
22. John Van Swearingen IV
23. Bruce Zerr

Their first-hands accounts really make this book exciting. All their stories are carefully footnoted, so you will know who is telling their story.

My sincere thanks to all these people who took the time and effort to contribute to the "Blue Spring Cave" book.

Larry E. Matthews
NSS #6792-F
Larry E. Matthews
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 6792
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Postby Cheryl Jones » Feb 3, 2010 9:11 pm

I know everyone's excited about Larry's new book, but there is no need to reserve a copy! Nor to expect Kelli to keep up with various email requests, then contact you for your credit card information to process the order.

There will be plenty of copies printed, and everyone may buy one the instant they arrive at the NSS office by going online to nssbookstore. org. You can still be the first on your block to obtain a copy. :tonguecheek: And the process will be so much more efficient for everyone.

Or wait, maybe I should have said "No worries, Kelli will save a copy for you. Just go online when the books arrive at the office to order yours, and she'll have it to you ASAP." :wink:

Cheryl
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Postby tncaver » Feb 3, 2010 9:28 pm

Cheryl Jones wrote:I know everyone's excited about Larry's new book, but there is no need to reserve a copy! Nor to expect Kelli to keep up with various email requests, then contact you for your credit card information to process the order.

There will be plenty of copies printed, and everyone may buy one the instant they arrive at the NSS office by going online to nssbookstore. org. You can still be the first on your block to obtain a copy. :tonguecheek: And the process will be so much more efficient for everyone.

Or wait, maybe I should have said "No worries, Kelli will save a copy for you. Just go online when the books arrive at the office to order yours, and she'll have it to you ASAP." :wink:

Cheryl

I hope so Cheryl, I've already ordered three copies.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby driggs » Feb 3, 2010 10:53 pm

driggs wrote:This is not a publication announcement, this is an advertisement.

So I don't go down in history as being a total jerk, I will point out that I don't see any announcement about a Blue Springs Cave book in Kelli's post or anywhere on the NSS Bookstore website; in fact, the bookstore doesn't have anything new listed since the 2009 ICS. Am I missing something obvious?!

Is it OK for SpeleoBooks, Inner Mountain Outfitters, KarstSports, On Rope 1, etc. to advertise for no reason on CaveChat?
driggs
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: NEW NSS PUBLICATION ANNOUNCEMENT!!!

Postby boreholio » Feb 4, 2010 12:33 am

Go to: http://nssbookstore.org/

Click on NSS Books in the left hand column; the announcements are the second and third ones down.

It's really that easy! :grin: OK, it would have been a little easier if the post mentioned what the new publication was and if it was listed under new products on the web site also. :tonguecheek:

This is the Official Caving Forum of the National Speleological Society after all, so it wouldn't seem out of line to announce NSS publications here.

Joel Buckner
boreholio
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 17337FE

Postby driggs » Feb 4, 2010 1:22 am

boreholio wrote:This is the Official Caving Forum of the National Speleological Society after all, so it wouldn't seem out of line to announce NSS publications here.

You are correct, and I believe that the Publications forum is the perfect place to announce new NSS publications as well as non-NSS publications.

However, it is not the place to advertise "Hey, I'm a store that sells books! Buy some books!". (Unless it is the place for advertisements, in which case I will shut up)

I'm not trying to pick on Kelli, but her post did not mention any specific book, the front page of the NSS bookstore (which she linked to) doesn't list any new books, and the New Products section does not list any new publications either.

It turns out that searching the NSS Bookstore for "Blue Springs Cave" - as I originally did - turns up nothing; searching for "Blue Spring Cave" shows the above-mentioned book by Larry E. Matthews and Bill Walter - and yes, it looks like a really awesome book! But, despite Kelli's assurance that NSS publications make fantastic Valentines Day gifts, the Bookstore gives no indication as to when this book will be available.

To prove that I'm not a complete jerk, I will now turn this post into a NEW NSS PUBLICATION ANNOUNCEMENT!!!

Blue Spring Cave

By Larry E. Matthews and Bill Walter, 2010
346 pages, 249 photographs, and 14 maps!

Blue Spring Cave is Tennessee's longest mapped cave with over 35 miles of surveyed passages. Although it's natural entrance has been known since prehistoric times, only 500 feet of cave had been explored as recently as 1989. In that year a group of cavers pushed a tight, blowing crawlway at the rear of the cave and discovered miles and miles of fantastic, virgin cave passages. Exploration still continues as this book goes to press.

Follow along with the modern explorers as they describe their exploration of this underground wonderland, mile by mile. The path was not simple or easy and required long-term perseverance to slowly unravel this underground labyrinth. In the process huge passages and rooms were discovered along with rare and beautiful cave formations. Divers have recently pushed in from Blue Spring for over a mile in flooded cave passages. A connection has not yet been made to the air-filled passages, but they are getting close. The story of their exploration is exciting and dangerous.

This book is lavishly illustrated with photographs and maps. Each chapter will actually show you where the explorers have gone and what they found. The maps will enable you to follow them further and further from the entrance. This book will treat you to the complete exploration of Blue Spring Cave since the breakthrough in 1989 up to the present.

$50 Hardback
$30 Softback

Available someday from the NSS Bookstore!

Edit: fixed incorrect page count copied from NSS Bookstore description - this book is 346 pages long!
Last edited by driggs on Feb 5, 2010 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
driggs
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby boreholio » Feb 4, 2010 10:18 am

It's at the printer so "someday" will likely be someday soon, probably in the next few weeks.
boreholio
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 17337FE

Next

Return to Publications