Turned Angles in WALLS?

Techniques, equipment and issues. Also visit the NSS Survey & Cartography Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Turned Angles in WALLS?

Postby Dan Henry » Jan 25, 2010 11:41 pm

Anyone had any success with using turned angles with WALLS? I'd like to input distance, inclination and turned angle, in a section of cave with *real* bad magnetic interference, and tie back in to the regular survey on either end. I know I can run the angles section and tie into the azimuths on either end, then calculate the angular misclosure, pro-rate the error between all the turned angle shots, then calculate the azimuth of these new shots, but surely there's a way to let the program handle this with the least squares adjustment?

Thanks,

Dan
Dan Henry
Asheville, NC
NSS#47794
Dan Henry
Frequent Poster

Name: Dan Henry
NSS #: 47794
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Re: Turned Angles in WALLS?

Postby Spike » Jan 27, 2010 5:48 pm

My suggestion would be to create 2 fixed points at the start and end of the traverse. If you don't know how to do this holler back and I'll help you through that.

Then I would take the transit data and calculate the Azimuth of each shot(like in excel or some other spreadsheet.). This is just to get the data in a format walls can work with. It will not turn angles as far as I know.

Enter the data into Walls and compile.
Since you have fixed the points at each end of the traverse, the rest of the survey will not be affected by this traverse.

Now when you look at the Traverse tab for this survey, you will see under the Az Heading the corrected azimuth for each shot. If you are lucky the difference the corrected Az and the input Az is the same or similar for each shot. You could then open the SRV in excel and make the changes needed and save the file back as a txt file and rename the extension.

At this point you can unfix the 2 points and release the travers to the wild so to speak.

I've never done this but I think this route will get you what you want.

Spike
Spike
Prolific Poster

Re: Turned Angles in WALLS?

Postby Dan Henry » Feb 1, 2010 1:24 am

Spike,

Thanks for the insight. I'll give that a shot. Just wanted to make sure there wasn't some sort of undocumented support for turned angle surveys in there that I wasn't aware of.

Thanks,

Dan Henry
Dan Henry
Asheville, NC
NSS#47794
Dan Henry
Frequent Poster

Name: Dan Henry
NSS #: 47794
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Return to Survey and Cartography Forum