Cave mapping from above?

Questions, techniques, gear, safety. Also visit the NSS Cave Diving Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Cave mapping from above?

Postby Speedemon636 » Jan 14, 2010 5:50 pm

Hello all. :waving: I'm new here.. Name is Matt and i live in Tennessee.. I DID in fact use the search feature before making a new thread lol :laughing: .. Quick question: My family owns a cave and my dad believes it is layered (bottom is filled with water and possible dry levels above) and i'm wanting to find a way to find a supposed "shaft" that drops down inside from on top of the hill.. Is there any electronic equipment that could be used to do so? Thanks in advance!

-Matt
Speedemon636
Occasional Poster

Name: Matt

Re: Cave mapping from above?

Postby Squirrel Girl » Jan 14, 2010 8:20 pm

Speedemon636 wrote:Hello all. :waving: I'm new here.. Name is Matt and i live in Tennessee.. I DID in fact use the search feature before making a new thread lol :laughing: .. Quick question: My family owns a cave and my dad believes it is layered (bottom is filled with water and possible dry levels above) and i'm wanting to find a way to find a supposed "shaft" that drops down inside from on top of the hill.. Is there any electronic equipment that could be used to do so? Thanks in advance!

-Matt

Welcome to Cavechat, Matt!

There's nothing truly reliable for doing what you want. Options include microgravity or electrical resistivity that have varying degrees of success.

OR, you could be **ME** and my buddies from TN and GA to come dive that flooded section and explore the dry cave from inside to help you find that potential shaft!

Seriously!
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby Speedemon636 » Jan 17, 2010 5:14 pm

Hey thanks for the welcome & info! According to my parents, they let 2 professional cavers in when they moved here and they had to turn back because their air tanks were running out so from what I gather, the first bit has a long underwater stretch.. They went in via raft and had to dive (obviously). Would you and your crew really be up to coming here to explore it? The only problem is that the entrance is owned by our neighbors, so I'd have to get permission.. :roll:
Speedemon636
Occasional Poster

Postby Squirrel Girl » Jan 17, 2010 7:59 pm

Speedemon636 wrote:Hey thanks for the welcome & info! According to my parents, they let 2 professional cavers in when they moved here and they had to turn back because their air tanks were running out so from what I gather, the first bit has a long underwater stretch.. They went in via raft and had to dive (obviously). Would you and your crew really be up to coming here to explore it? The only problem is that the entrance is owned by our neighbors, so I'd have to get permission.. :roll:

Oh yeah, we would! I have 8 tanks, it's OK if it's a bit long. If you ever hear who they were, let us know. My buddies or I might know them. I'd say, it might be them, but I doubt they'd turn around and not return!

Yeah, definitely. Permission is a good thing! :waving:

I live up north in VA, but I was heading down to TN for an underwater survey class next month. I have a good buddy in Atlanta, and another one in Nashville. And I've met some of their other local buddies, too. And I met another cave diver from TN over New Years.

Barbara
Barbara Anne am Ende

Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

Postby Speedemon636 » Jan 19, 2010 8:57 pm

Turns it it was Roy Davis (owner of Cumberland Caverns) and a lady geologist but my parents can't remember her name.. They didn't make a map as far as my parents know so it would be starting from scratch! I'm pretty sure you & your crew would love that! :goodjob: I'll see if I can get permission from my neighbors in the next day or two.. I wont make it like you have to come on a set date or w/e, I'll just ask if you all can come whenever so if something comes up, it'll all be fine. Sound good?
Speedemon636
Occasional Poster

Postby Squirrel Girl » Jan 20, 2010 4:30 am

Speedemon636 wrote:Turns it it was Roy Davis (owner of Cumberland Caverns) and a lady geologist but my parents can't remember her name.. They didn't make a map as far as my parents know so it would be starting from scratch! I'm pretty sure you & your crew would love that! :goodjob: I'll see if I can get permission from my neighbors in the next day or two.. I wont make it like you have to come on a set date or w/e, I'll just ask if you all can come whenever so if something comes up, it'll all be fine. Sound good?

AWESOME! Let me know. I've already alerted my two best cave diving buddies from Atlanta and Nashville. All three of us are experienced at both cave diving and dry caving. Turns out there aren't all that many folks who do both.

Oh, yeah, approximately what part of TN are you located? As an administrator here, I will be the first to point out that it's against the Terms of Service to post locations here. I'm just wondering, are we talking Chattanooga, Knoxville, what? I'd guess not too terribly far from Cumberland Caverns? :big grin:
Barbara Anne am Ende

Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

Postby Speedemon636 » Jan 24, 2010 2:36 pm

Just outside of Tullahoma. About 1 hour south from Nash. and about 1 hour north of Lynchburg (where Jack Daniel whiskey is made: great place to visit if you all haven't already). About what time are you planning on coming down this way to take the underwater survey class?
Speedemon636
Occasional Poster

Return to Cave Diving Forum