Walls Illustrator Round-trip changes greater than 90 degrees

Techniques, equipment and issues. Also visit the NSS Survey & Cartography Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Walls Illustrator Round-trip changes greater than 90 degrees

Postby Jeff Bartlett » Jan 6, 2010 12:56 pm

Clearly my inferior intellect does not allow me to grasp the obvious superiority of Therion. If Therion users are able to create highly-detailed cave maps, I haven't seen it. Those of you producing highly-detailed cave maps in Therion, please step forward. Are you talking about something that is being done or something that theoretically could be done? There is a world of difference. I could roast a turkey in an EZ-Bake Oven if I really wanted to, but it doesn't make it the best tool for the job.

I'd suggest, if you wish to win the world over on your cave mapping program, that you put together a GUI. Working from the command line is probably no big deal for computer programmers, but the end result is a program only computer programmers seem comfortable using. Frankly put, this is why very few people have spent much time fighting with your program when better, easier-to-use options are available. Open up a file in Compass, rotate the profile in three dimensions, then tell me Therion's data management is best. Open up a file in Walls, work through the descending list of bad loop closures in a large project, then tell me Therion's data management is best. There is a reason these are the two most popular data reduction programs in America.

To be blunt, and without meaning offense, most of what I've seen output from Therion has little plan view detail and is rainbow-colored for some reason. I don't want to draw rainbow-colored maps with no detail, I don't want software to draw my breakdown blocks for me, and I don't want to fight with a command-line interface to manage my data. I am not alone in this.
"Although it pains me to say it, in this case Jeff is right. Plan accordingly." --Andy Armstrong
Jeff Bartlett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Bartlett
NSS #: 59325
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Tennessee Cave Survey

Re: Walls Illustrator Round-trip changes greater than 90 degrees

Postby Martin Sluka » Feb 3, 2010 7:08 am

Jeff Bartlett wrote: If Therion users are able to create highly-detailed cave maps, I haven't seen it. Those of you producing highly-detailed cave maps in Therion, please step forward. Are you talking about something that is being done or something that [i]theoretically co

Are these maps more acceptable for you? (no one click in Illustrator!)

http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=PqABQW0
http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=gxWS5zS
Martin Sluka
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Martin Sluka
NSS #: 29010

Previous

Return to Survey and Cartography Forum