Surveying: Space pens with survey paper?

Techniques, equipment and issues. Also visit the NSS Survey & Cartography Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Surveying: Space pens with survey paper?

Postby Chads93GT » Jan 4, 2010 8:35 pm

I was wondering about sketching in the cave. I know pencils have their merits due to being able to erase mistakes........but I see that places also sell the space pens (they write upside down) where they sell survey paper and other surveying supplies. Has anyone actually used one of these? How do they work when the paper is muddy and wet? Im guessing not well? I only wonder because my wife has one lying around, got it from work, and I was amazed with it writing upside down.

I think I was more amazed that NASA spent $1 billion developing the pen to write upside down, when they could have simply used a pencil ;)
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Surveying: Space pens with survey paper?

Postby rebelfirefighter » Jan 4, 2010 8:47 pm

The space pen uses pressurized ink cartridges and is claimed to write in zero gravity, upside down, underwater, over wet and greasy paper, at any angle, and in extreme temperature ranges. Just make sure you don't bump your head during the zero gravity part. :doh: Other than that it orta work good.
rebelfirefighter
Prolific Poster

Name: Andy Witt
NSS #: 63903
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Pigeon Mountain Grotto

Postby Steven Johnson » Jan 5, 2010 12:10 am

Chads93GT wrote:I think I was more amazed that NASA spent $1 billion developing the pen to write upside down, when they could have simply used a pencil ;)

Yeah, 'cept Nasa didn't develop it. Fisher did, then offered it to Nasa: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Pen
Steven Johnson
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 49562
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Diablo Grotto

Postby JR-Orion » Jan 5, 2010 10:27 am

Steven Johnson wrote:
Chads93GT wrote:I think I was more amazed that NASA spent $1 billion developing the pen to write upside down, when they could have simply used a pencil ;)

Yeah, 'cept Nasa didn't develop it. Fisher did, then offered it to Nasa: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Pen

I know this it off topic, but I clicked on the link in your sig. That game sounds great! And Will Crowther the caver / programmer... wonder if he was married to Pat Crowther, who was there on the big Mammoth Cave connection trip? Kept reading, and sure enough. It's a small world. :)
Letting the days go by / water flowing underground
Into the blue again / in the silent water
Under the rocks and stones / there is water underground.
JR-Orion
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jasen Rogers
NSS #: 61613
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Iowa Grotto

Return to Survey and Cartography Forum