Walls and windows file problem

Techniques, equipment and issues. Also visit the NSS Survey & Cartography Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Walls and windows file problem

Postby rchrds » Nov 3, 2009 11:29 am

Oh gad.

I have just upgraded to windows 7, and now, when I go to compile a new cave project for the first time, I get the following message:

"A project work directory cannot be created."

I am sure that this is an issue with windows- I did not have it with XP, but the same issue seems to exist with Vista and win7.

I have done the following, make sure that the project folder that all the files are in is not read-only, and makes sure that my user has all the required permissions. (I don't have all permissions except for the block that says "special permissions" under the file properties/security tab.

Any ideas?
rchrds
Prolific Poster

Name: Jason Richards
NSS #: 41539
Primary Grotto Affiliation: None at the moment

Re: Walls and windows file problem

Postby Jeff Bartlett » Nov 3, 2009 11:35 am

I'd probably go straight to David McKenzie with this'un. Since there aren't any settings for you to control here -- Walls creates the project directory kinda "on its own" without user input -- there's not really anything for you to change within the program.

Are there weird security options in Windows 7 (like "user account control" in Vista) where you have to set permissions for specific programs to be able to create folders and/or write to the drive?
"Although it pains me to say it, in this case Jeff is right. Plan accordingly." --Andy Armstrong
Jeff Bartlett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Bartlett
NSS #: 59325
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Tennessee Cave Survey

Postby rchrds » Nov 3, 2009 11:38 am

Jeff Bartlett wrote:I'd probably go straight to David McKenzie with this'un. Since there aren't any settings for you to control here -- Walls creates the project directory kinda "on its own" without user input -- there's not really anything for you to change within the program.

Are there weird security options in Windows 7 (like "user account control" in Vista) where you have to set permissions for specific programs to be able to create folders and/or write to the drive?

Oh god, I don't know, I think so- I am working on trying to find an answer. I will ask David though.
rchrds
Prolific Poster

Postby rchrds » Nov 3, 2009 12:33 pm

Ok- problem solved, and it is my fault, not Walls.

In my working folder, I had a file called "tanimax" with no file type. (i.e. the .srv was missing.)
Unfortunately, the project file was called tanimax.prj and when compiling for the first time, Walls creates a folder for all of its working files named after the .prj file. So it tried to created a folder called "tanimax."
Unfortunately, windows (all of them would do this) saw the untyped file tanimax, and assuming the worst, thought it might be a folder file, and when Walls tried to create a folder with the same name, it stopped it from happening. (There cannot be two folders with the same name under one higher folder.)

So there you go- make sure all of your files have associations, particularly if they share names with your .prj file.

Jason
rchrds
Prolific Poster

Postby Phil Winkler » Nov 3, 2009 1:13 pm

Folks, be very careful with Vista and Windows 7 where folders are concerned. There is no root drive access that I can see (like c:\folder). Instead, everything is either under \user or \public

It can be very confusing where things are located. Worse then a Mac even.
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Postby Roppelcaver » Nov 3, 2009 10:51 pm

You can set files to specific locations in Win7 in Admin mode, but in user mode the restriction was put in place to keep user files better contained in specific locations (e.g., I map documents to multiple directory locations on multiple drives). This helps in backup and recovery.

This can all be worked around with permissions, if you wish to do so.
Roppel Caver guy
Roppelcaver
Prolific Poster

Return to Survey and Cartography Forum