TAG Fall Cave In 2009

NSS Conventions, regional caving events, local caving events. Please spell out event initials for new members.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: TAG Fall Cave In 2009

Postby JoeyS » Oct 8, 2009 4:41 pm

We'll be there tomorrow afternoon. Looking forward to it rain or shine.

NSS #: 57719
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Postby mgmills » Oct 11, 2009 6:43 pm

graveleye wrote:http://www.wunderground.com/US/TN/Chattanooga.html

doesn't look too bad to me. I can live with a 30% chance of showers for Saturday, clearing in the evening. Those are fairly good odds if you ask me.

Either way, we're cavers - we're used to being cold and wet.

Missed seeing you Graveleye. . .saw Wendy (and Graham) a few times. . .

Friday was the bad weather day. Friday afternoon was very windy and Speleobooks lost a tarp. They had to scramble to "rearrange" their booth a bit to fit into their suddenly smaller space after the loss of the big green tarp.

Rain really came down pretty strong about the time the band was cranking up to start the Friday entertainment. Fortunately the storm blew through pretty quickly.

A fairly heavy rain woke me about 7 am on Saturday morning but by late morning the rain was moving out. Just as it neared time for door prizes the sky began to darken and a light mist began to fall. Never really rained hard but the mist (and fog) continued for several hours. It didn't really seem to "dampen anybody's spirits" and there was a lot of "partying" going on. Temperature was mild to moderate. By 11? pm/midnight the rain was gone. (I kinda lost track of time once the fire was burning.)

At least there was sunshine for breaking camps on Sunday. :clap:

Overall, I'd rate it a great event.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Name: Martha Mills
NSS #: 39864
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby graveleye » Oct 12, 2009 3:46 pm

I would rate it as a great event too. I had a blast!

We got to take a rare trip over to Johnson's Crook Cave which was fantastic. I hope maybe they can loosen the access restrictions to that area one day because it's simply beautiful... maybe the SCCi needs to get involved?

Yup, I saw Wendy and Graham, and saw Glenn, but somehow we totally missed you, Martha :(
Well, we'll just have to find a time to get together sometime.

All in all, despite the rain, I had fun. I admit I was getting a little concerned with the squall blew through Friday night, but it wasn't that bad... could have been worse since there was a tornado warning over in Henager from what I heard on the radio.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby JoeyS » Oct 13, 2009 11:51 am

We had a great time. Thanks for all your efforts to put on an awesome event, yet again, DCG.

Aimee won yet another rope in the SCCi raffle. So far she's racked up 900 feet!! I think we need to start buying lotto tickets in Trenton on the way up the mountain.

NSS #: 57719
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Postby onebat » Oct 13, 2009 11:56 am

Wow! That's great. With that kind of luck, you should definately play the lottery.
onebat
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 32368
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Spencer Mountain Grotto

Postby kelli1992 » Oct 13, 2009 12:26 pm

Dear 2009 TAG Attendees and DCG,

Let me please take a few moments to thank you all for your continued support of the NSS and the NSS Bookstore. I personally had a great time meeting all the new people and seeing all of my old friends. I would like to thank all of the people from the Huntsville Grotto who volunteered to help set up the bookstore tent, and to E.T. Davis, who's has always been a good friend of myself and the NSS Bookstore.

DCG, you guys out did yourselves this year. I think this was the best TAG yet! Thank you to Tony and Christy for there dedication to making this a memorable event this year, and to whomever built this year's fire, the fireworks were spectacular!!!!!! Everything was great, thanks for all of the hard work and thankless efforts put forth by the members of the DCG. I appreciate you and I will see you again next year! Stay Dry! Safe Caving!

Sincerely,

Kelli the NSS Bookstore Lady

P.S.-- If anyone has pictures of the NSS Bookstore Staff in action at TAG, please email them to me at[url]Kelli@Caves.org[/url]!
kelli1992
NSS Office

Name: KELLI DAVIS
NSS #: 59143

Postby CaverScott » Oct 13, 2009 12:33 pm

To heck with rain and the mud, when you are in the PCB aka Spelunkoligists Award Winning Camp, they even tarp the road and bring their own zip line! Did you miss seeing it during tag?
Here are some photos to enjoy:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/caverscott ... 438704575/

Thanks to every volunteer who worked so hard so that about 1,100 of us could have a great weekend.
CaverScott
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 19797L
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham CIG SCCi IKC

Postby graveleye » Oct 13, 2009 5:26 pm

Here is our video/slide-show from the Cave-In:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmFdnwv6TwU
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby wendy » Oct 15, 2009 12:18 pm

We had a great time! Glad to get to see every body again.

I wish that they had the recycling "cages" thru out the campground like they had in the past. Also noticed that there was no place for glass recycling.

Also I wish the food vendor had other things than the set dinner menu, sometimes you just need a $2 hot dog and not a $5 plate of food.
"Blessed are they who learn from their mistakes. For they shall make, if not necessarily fewer of them, different and more interesting ones."

"It's the good girls who keep diaries; the bad girls never have the time." - Tallulah Bankhead
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby mgmills » Oct 16, 2009 5:56 am

wendy wrote:We had a great time! Glad to get to see every body again.

I wish that they had the recycling "cages" thru out the campground like they had in the past. Also noticed that there was no place for glass recycling.

Also I wish the food vendor had other things than the set dinner menu, sometimes you just need a $2 hot dog and not a $5 plate of food.

Wendy, I'm a member of the grotto that organized the recycling. We would love to do glass recycling but the collection and transportation of the glass is a problem. This year, I personally emptied the collection cans on vendor's row a few times and had a couple of broken glass bottles in with the plastic. This had to be removed as the glass cuts the plastic bags.

As for the wire cages around the site. . . in past years keeping those emptied has proved to be pretty time intensive. . . we as a grotto decided we did not have the "man/woman power" to tend to those baskets.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Name: Martha Mills
NSS #: 39864
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby wendy » Oct 17, 2009 6:08 pm

mgmills wrote:
wendy wrote:We had a great time! Glad to get to see every body again.

Wendy, I'm a member of the grotto that organized the recycling. We would love to do glass recycling but the collection and transportation of the glass is a problem. This year, I personally emptied the collection cans on vendor's row a few times and had a couple of broken glass bottles in with the plastic. This had to be removed as the glass cuts the plastic bags.

As for the wire cages around the site. . . in past years keeping those emptied has proved to be pretty time intensive. . . we as a grotto decided we did not have the "man/woman power" to tend to those baskets.

next year I will just set up some recycle in front of my camp, and i will haul it to your recycle area, that way our neighbors can recycle too. We did put our glass separate.

Hope you didn't get stung anymore last weekend
"Blessed are they who learn from their mistakes. For they shall make, if not necessarily fewer of them, different and more interesting ones."

"It's the good girls who keep diaries; the bad girls never have the time." - Tallulah Bankhead
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Previous

Return to Caver Events