TAG Fall Cave In 2009

NSS Conventions, regional caving events, local caving events. Please spell out event initials for new members.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: TAG Fall Cave In 2009

Postby Casper » Sep 10, 2009 3:30 pm

hmmm no bites to the last question, how about a new one.

Found this neat little dohicky while doing some research for work, Coleman green key tool
http://www.coleman.com/coleman/recycle/cylinder_dis.asp

I know aluminum cans and plastic bottles are collected for recycling at the Cave In. Any one know if the recycler that these end up at would be willing to take the little green propane canisters if the green key tool were installed in them? I know the scrap steel usually brings more than aluminum if sold. I'm not sure how many would be disposed of over the weekend, but I would be willing to donate some of the green key tools if it would keep some of the bottles out of the landfill.
"Lets go exploring. If we find something unpleasant, at least it will be something new."
Casper
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 52370

Postby wendy » Oct 4, 2009 10:00 am

Casper wrote:Any suggestions for easy trips this year? While I would love to be able to take in a couple of hours long trips involving lots of crawling and climbing I'm not sure if I'm physicaly going to be up to it. Problems from a car collsion this past spring arn't being resolved nearly as quickly as I had hoped for and I will be a much happy person If I can at least get under ground once. I know there is Cedar Ridge Crystal, I've lost track of the number of times I have been in there. I know there are simular caves out there I just dont have easy access to any of my resources at the current time, just need something with a minial amout of bending. Nothing like trying to plan ahead :big grin:

On Friday Graham and I are doing Bible Springs Cave with knottyknanna (Ginger), that's the one we stopped at last year after we did cedar ridge crystal, the one with the pipe coming out of it. And we figured we'd stop at whiteside on the way back since we drive past it, its by Lake Nickajack. You and Greg are welcome to come along. I'm a completely out of shape and just want to do easy stuff.
"Blessed are they who learn from their mistakes. For they shall make, if not necessarily fewer of them, different and more interesting ones."

"It's the good girls who keep diaries; the bad girls never have the time." - Tallulah Bankhead
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby wendy » Oct 4, 2009 10:01 am

ok who all is going and are we going to try and have a cave chat meet and greet?
"Blessed are they who learn from their mistakes. For they shall make, if not necessarily fewer of them, different and more interesting ones."

"It's the good girls who keep diaries; the bad girls never have the time." - Tallulah Bankhead
wendy
Global Moderator

Postby Batgirl » Oct 4, 2009 12:55 pm

Casper, Visit the DCG tent at TAG :rofl: Andy Zellner will have a list of directions and maps for any cave you wish to visit. He can also help with recommendations. Since he has literally been to every cave in TAG (proper usage here), he is an excellent source of information. Welcome to the Cave-In and we hope you have a great time.

:waving:
Batgirl
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Lynn Buffkin
NSS #: 60464
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sewanee Mountain Grotto

Postby Batgirl » Oct 4, 2009 1:02 pm

Many of you may not know me (yet) but I will be running the WNS tent at the Cave-In this year. So I just wanted to update you all about the goings on with the WNS tent this year. As always, the decon stations will be in place and we encourage you to utilize them as this is will be a critical year for WNS in TAG. We all feel sure that this deadly disease will enter our region before winters end so please take every precaution possible and decontaminate your gear and caving clothes both before coming to the Cave In as well as after each caving trip. The stations will be set up according to the recommendations of USFWS and Hazel Barton's test results on Sterling Rope. There will be directions located at each station, so please follow them.

In addition, David Kampwerth, a Karst Biologist with USFWS (and a fellow caver) will be on hand this year to answer all your questions regarding WNS or Karst biology in general. We have worked very hard to put together all the latest information. So please come by, ask questions provide us with your feedback –whether it’s positive or negative. He will be taking this information back to USFWS in an effort to better work with the caving community. This is also a critical year for contacting your representatives on further funding WNS research. To date, Congress has approved $500,000 for monitoring. This will not fund the research needed. As such, I will have a list with contact information for each representative throughout the US available to you. In order to solve this crisis, we must unite and show Congress the importance of finding a cure. We all understand the gravity of losing our bat population, so please get involved.

See you all at the Cave In,
Lynn Buffkin
Batgirl
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Lynn Buffkin
NSS #: 60464
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sewanee Mountain Grotto

Postby Casper » Oct 4, 2009 4:16 pm

On Friday Graham and I are doing Bible Springs Cave with knottyknanna (Ginger), that's the one we stopped at last year after we did cedar ridge crystal, the one with the pipe coming out of it. And we figured we'd stop at whiteside on the way back since we drive past it, its by Lake Nickajack. You and Greg are welcome to come along. I'm a completely out of shape and just want to do easy stuff.

Bible Springs is going to be pretty wet isn't it? It's been 8-9 years since I have been in that one. I dont mean to sound like a baby but I have no desire to deal with slogging though much mud. Plus with the rain projected for the weekend I'm a bit leary of going in anything with a sping in it. :snorkling: Has all this rain effected the lake level much? I'm not sure how much came down that far North.
Last edited by Casper on Oct 4, 2009 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Lets go exploring. If we find something unpleasant, at least it will be something new."
Casper
Frequent Poster

Postby Casper » Oct 4, 2009 4:21 pm

Casper, Visit the DCG tent at TAG Andy Zellner will have a list of directions and maps for any cave you wish to visit. He can also help with recommendations. Since he has literally been to every cave in TAG (proper usage here), he is an excellent source of information. Welcome to the Cave-In and we hope you have a great time.

BatGirl :thanks: I know about the DCG tent at the Cave In. Was just missing getting under ground and trying to stir the discussion a bit a month or so ago. Sadly no one took the bait. :cry:
Casper
Frequent Poster

Postby mgmills » Oct 4, 2009 8:13 pm

Casper wrote:hmmm no bites to the last question, how about a new one.

Found this neat little dohicky while doing some research for work, Coleman green key tool
http://www.coleman.com/coleman/recycle/cylinder_dis.asp

I know aluminum cans and plastic bottles are collected for recycling at the Cave In. Any one know if the recycler that these end up at would be willing to take the little green propane canisters if the green key tool were installed in them? I know the scrap steel usually brings more than aluminum if sold. I'm not sure how many would be disposed of over the weekend, but I would be willing to donate some of the green key tools if it would keep some of the bottles out of the landfill.

Hi Casper,

The Sewanee Mountain Grotto does the collection of the recycling. I happen to be a member of the grotto so I know the plan. Sorry, but this year we are only equipped to deal with the aluminum and plastic right now.

Recycling collection bins for plastic and aluminum will be on vendor's row, the "munchie stand", the bathhouse, the SPA area and possibly a few other locations. We encourage everyone attending to collect aluminum and plastic beverage containers at their campsites during the event and drop off their collections at our "clearly marked trailer" as they leave the campground on Sunday morning.

We do ask that bottles and cans be emptied as much as possible before discarding as we "consolidate" the smaller bags to larger bags and the "drippage" can get "nasty"

Your post is the first time I've heard of the "green key tools" . . . unfortunately, due to the timeframe between now and the Cave-In we won't have time to look into it but we will investigate further to see if it might be possible to do at a future event. It would probably be a "time intensive" task to collect mass quantities of the cannisters as we'd have to check each one individually.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Name: Martha Mills
NSS #: 39864
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby Casper » Oct 4, 2009 10:12 pm

I didn't think about the amount of labor involved with checking each canister. I ended up doing more research and it turns out my recyclers wont take the canisters with the Green Key tool installed alone. The Green Key Tool installed or the valve stem removed AND and cut or hole drilled in the container. Seems a bit over kill to me to remove the valve stem and have the put an obvious hole in the canister but I'm not the person on the receiving end of things. Too bad its not easier to do, I know steel brings in more money than plastic or aluminium.
Casper
Frequent Poster

Postby graveleye » Oct 5, 2009 2:33 pm

fingers crossed for good weather!!
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby mgmills » Oct 5, 2009 7:03 pm

graveleye wrote:fingers crossed for good weather!!

We are packing lots of rain gear and rain boots. From what I'm seeing on the extended weather we may get lucky and get a break on Saturday to light the fire. . . funny the last couple of years it's been so dry there was worry we wouldn't get to light the fire. This year we have to hope it is dry enough for it to light. :bananabat:
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Name: Martha Mills
NSS #: 39864
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby wendy » Oct 6, 2009 6:57 pm

Casper wrote:

Bible Springs is going to be pretty wet isn't it? It's been 8-9 years since I have been in that one. I dont mean to sound like a baby but I have no desire to deal with slogging though much mud. Plus with the rain projected for the weekend I'm a bit leary of going in anything with a sping in it. :snorkling: Has all this rain effected the lake level much? I'm not sure how much came down that far North.

I was just wondering about flash floods in caves and mentioning to Graham that I have no desire to drown this weekend. I guess I'll play it by ear. I do love wet caves though

wendy
Global Moderator

Postby Casper » Oct 6, 2009 9:29 pm

Expeditious egresses accompanied with accumulating water levels are not a part of my weekend plans either. I'm not sure on the current access status but I might have an alternative in mind.
Casper
Frequent Poster

Postby CKB69 » Oct 6, 2009 10:28 pm

Packing for a mud fest . It is time for one .
I have manged to survive several flash floods underground . Exciting , yes . Fun , not at the time .
Caving where I do , I do not take rain lightly . The bad air is secondary ...
Slide. Slide on the ice...
CKB69
Frequent Poster

Postby graveleye » Oct 7, 2009 9:57 am

http://www.wunderground.com/US/TN/Chattanooga.html

doesn't look too bad to me. I can live with a 30% chance of showers for Saturday, clearing in the evening. Those are fairly good odds if you ask me.

Either way, we're cavers - we're used to being cold and wet.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

PreviousNext

Return to Caver Events