Cartography question

Techniques, equipment and issues. Also visit the NSS Survey & Cartography Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Cartography question

Postby Pat Kambesis » Sep 21, 2009 10:54 am

Hey Spike

I'm always rotating my book so a non-directional symbol would be so much easier to deal with.

On north arrow - its standard cartographic principle to orient north up on the page (or screen or whatever).
However, I have violated that rule on occassion for layout efficiency or to align the plan view with the profile view that best shows the vertical extent of the cave or makes it easier to understand (depends on who I think my user will be).
That said, having north point up or either left or right on the "page" to me is acceptable. Its when North points down or any of those views between 90-270 that pushes the "rule" too far.

pk
Pat Kambesis
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 17304FELB
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Iowa Grotto

Postby Anonymous_Coward » Sep 21, 2009 11:03 am

Even in Australia, north is at the top of the map!

But when you look up in the sky, Orion is upside down. The orientational effect can be quite striking.
Andy Armstrong
American Carbide Council
Anonymous_Coward
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 45993RL FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Paha Sapa Grotto

Postby Jeff Bartlett » Sep 21, 2009 11:12 am

Pat Kambesis wrote:I'm always rotating my book so a non-directional symbol would be so much easier to deal with.

I'll sheepishly admit to, at least once, drawing a stal the wrong way on a final draft too.
:big grin:
"Although it pains me to say it, in this case Jeff is right. Plan accordingly." --Andy Armstrong
Jeff Bartlett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Bartlett
NSS #: 59325
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Tennessee Cave Survey

Postby Spike » Sep 21, 2009 4:21 pm

I'm always rotating my book so a non-directional symbol would be so much easier to deal with.

I have seen + and - used with a notation on the side of the page saying that + = Mites and - = Tites. I've also seen Staljungle noted on a sketch. I put some Column symbols in the area noted and moved on.

Spike
Spike
Prolific Poster

Postby Martin Sluka » Sep 24, 2009 11:07 am

Stan Allison wrote: This is your opportunity to mention that Therion can do the same! :big grin:

You are right. As always. :big grin:
m.
Martin Sluka
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Martin Sluka
NSS #: 29010

Previous

Return to Survey and Cartography Forum