NZ Caver = Winner!

Techniques and equipment.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: NZ Caver = Winner!

Postby ArCaver » Sep 10, 2009 10:07 pm

NZcaver wrote:
knudeNoggin wrote:Ah, a land(e)scape & portrait. (Isn't that roped person DEscending?!)

I concur in the congrats, great shot of "Eden"!

:banana_yay:

Thanks!

"Descent from Eden" doesn't quite have the same ring to it. :tonguecheek:

I rather prefer that.
ArCaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Anonymous_Coward » Sep 14, 2009 9:37 am

The person in the photo really looks like they are ascending to me. Looks like their feet are together in a frog footloop. I don't know anyone that rappels with their feet together like that.

Both are great photos! I think it is worth mentioning that some bats can be injured if held by both wings as pictured. I will defer to the biologists that the handling of that particular bat is safe, but some (especially western) species can be maimed by being stretched out like that. Euderma maculatum, the spotted bat is particularly fragile and should never be handled in this way.

I do like seeing gloves and the mask!

Congratulations Jansen! :woohoo:
Andy Armstrong
American Carbide Council
Anonymous_Coward
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 45993RL FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Paha Sapa Grotto

Postby NZcaver » Sep 14, 2009 12:49 pm

jaa45993 wrote:Congratulations Jansen! :woohoo:

Thanks Andy!

The person in the photo really looks like they are ascending to me. Looks like their feet are together in a frog footloop. I don't know anyone that rappels with their feet together like that.

Agreed.

I think it is worth mentioning that some bats can be injured if held by both wings as pictured. I will defer to the biologists that the handling of that particular bat is safe, but some (especially western) species can be maimed by being stretched out like that. Euderma maculatum, the spotted bat is particularly fragile and should never be handled in this way.

An excellent point. I should mention that the bat in the photo was in the process of being "collected" for WNS research (by necropsy). I should also mention this was not exactly a posed photo. Peter was just doing what he does, and I asked him to hold still for a moment while I snapped a couple of quick shots. My outstretched arm held a slave flash to provide some backlighting.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby NZcaver » Sep 17, 2009 10:52 pm

The winning images from the 2009 print salon have now been added to the NSS website.

http://caves.org/committee/salons/Print ... ners.shtml
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Previous

Return to Photography and Videography Forum