2009 NSS/ICS Convention needs Security folks

NSS Conventions, regional caving events, local caving events. Please spell out event initials for new members.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Ernie Coffman » Mar 27, 2009 3:51 pm

We in the Security Task Force need bodies that will be able to watch the one gate and roam around the campus during the convention, helping out with questions and directions, and anything that will make the convention run smoothly. This should be a piece of cake, but with all the various languages involved, there might be a hiccup here or there; thus, we need to get volunteers soon, so that we can schedule you into a slot for earning your t-shirt. :woohoo: All you have to do is to work one 4-hour shift on the gate and one 4-hour shift roaming around the campus, which you'd do anyway, right? :clap:

This will get you a t-shirt, a thanks from the staff, and a big thank you from Papa Mike and Sonny Ern. :kewl:

Please contact Ernie Coffman at ecjcman@charter.net so we can put you into the schedule, as Papa Mike is off caving in the wilds of Mexico. :cavingrocks:

Thanks much!
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: 2009 NSS/ICS Convention needs Security folks

Postby tncaver » Mar 27, 2009 8:57 pm

Due to the proposed spread of WNS by humans, I find it amazing that the premier caving/conservation organization in the world
is still going to be hosting a caving event on the opposide side of the country from the WNS debacle. However, I suppose this is
the one conclusive way to know if humans are spreading WNS. If it shows up in Oregon that would indeed prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that cavers are distributing the syndrome ( so long as no one intentionally brings it there).
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Squirrel Girl » Mar 27, 2009 9:07 pm

tncaver wrote:Due to the proposed spread of WNS by humans, I find it amazing that the premier caving/conservation organization in the world
is still going to be hosting a caving event on the opposide side of the country from the WNS debacle. However, I suppose this is
the one conclusive way to know if humans are spreading WNS. If it shows up in Oregon that would indeed prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that cavers are distributing the syndrome ( so long as no one intentionally brings it there).

Ernie's from Oregon, but he's talking about the ICS which is in Texas. There's a whole lot more to ICSs and NSS Conventions than going caving. I virtually never have time for caving when I go to convention.

And, these things have 4 year lead times. They'd be hard to cancel. The caving trips could be cancelled, if deemed necessary, but not the event itself.
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby wendy » Mar 28, 2009 1:21 am

I will post your request for security on the NAPSAC message board. it's a group of law enforcement and fire/ems cavers.
"Blessed are they who learn from their mistakes. For they shall make, if not necessarily fewer of them, different and more interesting ones."

"It's the good girls who keep diaries; the bad girls never have the time." - Tallulah Bankhead
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

How was ICS security ?

Postby dlocklear01 » Jul 29, 2009 1:02 am

Just curious.

How did everybody feel about security at ICS ?? I thought it was overkill at the Howdy Party. And I didn't see any security during
the romen noodle wrestling or the naked hot tub bathers at 3 am.
dlocklear01
Infrequent Poster

Re: How was ICS security ?

Postby NZcaver » Jul 29, 2009 2:14 am

dlocklear01 wrote:Just curious.

How did everybody feel about security at ICS ?? I thought it was overkill at the Howdy Party. And I didn't see any security during
the romen noodle wrestling or the naked hot tub bathers at 3 am.

I felt pretty good about it. :grin: But I'm probably biased - I was one of the guys wearing the red shirts, at least for some of the ICS.

Howdy party security was provided by caver volunteers, plus Schreiner security, plus a private security company. I can see why it might seem like overkill. If I had to guess, I'd say the university itself might have been a little wary of having a big party on their grounds with beer and a live band and something like a thousand rowdy cavers attending. :big grin:

Hired security was also there during the ramen event. The guy I spoke to was enjoying the show very much :cool: and regretting that he couldn't participate while (presumably) still on duty. In my experience, the cavers who coordinate this type of activity generally do fine policing the crowd - and the crowd itself is fairly well behaved. The same usually applies with the hot tub area. Also bear in mind, caver security staff were not always in uniform :wink: but often we carried radios or phones so backup was just a quick call away.

I'm curious - did you personally experience any security problems in the ramen or hot tub areas? :question:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Footleg » Jul 29, 2009 4:14 am

I have to say I was incredibly impressed by the organisation of the entire ICS event. You US cavers should be very proud. Everything from the airport welcome team to trips off campus were very well organised. A fantastic effort from a great number of volunteers. This was my first ICS and first NSS convention, and I came away very impressed. Good effort! :clap: :kewl: :banana_yay:
Footleg
Frequent Poster

Postby Ernie Coffman » Jul 29, 2009 1:32 pm

We appreciate your thoughts Footleg. A few hiccups in the picture, but they're gone for now, so...we can all relax and wonder how to improve things next time.

As for NZcaver's thoughts, I have to agree with him on the security thing. And, as for dlocklear01's comments, did you step up to the plate and help out at this convention or was it just having fun throughout? :banana: As NZcaver mentioned, there was a lot of security at the Howdy Party, but...at the other parties, as well. Usually, the NSS security volunteers take care of all this and you wouldn't be questioning, probably, the various security that you might have seen around the Pavillion. As it was--no explanation needed, but will share--we were forced to have all this paid security because of Texas laws, thanks to their TABC, which you probably didn't know about. Most folks weren't aware of having to pay $30 per hour for each security person, for every 200 persons at the party :yikes: ; thus, a lot of money down the tubes, but a law in TEXAS. Go do the figuring! One security person for every 200 cavers (or other people), with an estimate of 1400 at the Howdy Party, times $30 per hour. :down: We couldn't do anything about it. Sooooooo....what do you think of them apples? :shrug:

As for the red shirts that were there, they were just wearing their shirts, basically, for those who were on duty were Medical people--if you bothered to look, they had Security/Medical on the back of the shirts. Shouldn't have been, but...that's what the staff put together without our input. :down: Should have been red for medical and orange for security. :woohoo:

As for any other thoughts dlocklear01, please don't hesitate to ask away. One of the main problems that we were advised on was the closeness of the locals, who we did have to greet and try to get them off campus, so...you could have more to drink. :rofl: On top of that, some of the locals were even invited to have some brew at the Pavilion by one of the vendors :shhh: which shouldn't have been. You can't have it both ways and expect crowd control to be any better than it was, I don't believe.
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Caver Events