ICS/NSS Convention 2009 - Cavechat gathering?

NSS Conventions, regional caving events, local caving events. Please spell out event initials for new members.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: ICS/NSS Convention 2009 - Cavechat gathering?

Postby Cheryl Jones » Jul 13, 2009 10:36 am

NZcaver wrote:Secret Symbol Will Identify Cavechat Members at ICS

For more details, click here

No images at the links in Wayne's message! (Maybe because of copyright concerns?)

How about instead using an image of the little blue bat and CC favicon, which appears in the browser address bar? Image Seems reasonable to use a symbol that we use to identify Cavechat! And we need a flag with this symbol on it to stake out our corner of the Howdy Party! David, Wayne....is there a larger, higher res. version available?

Cheryl
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Postby Steven Johnson » Jul 13, 2009 11:11 am

Those image links appear to be dead :doh:
Steven Johnson
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 49562
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Diablo Grotto

Postby Bill Putnam » Jul 13, 2009 11:44 am

Well, the Geico caveman is undoubtedly protected by copyright and trademark status, so I like Cheryl's suggestion better anyway. But here's another: to really capture the spirit of CaveChat, how about a big banner with this symbol:
:beatinghorse:

I think I'll make a little sticker like that to put on my name badge as well. It seems most appropriate.

Or maybe I should make an RHP banner?
Bill Putnam, NSS 21117 RL/FE
Chairman and Chief Troublemaker
The Revolutionary Hodag Party - Thinking outside the cave.

The jackal can roar,
pretending to be a lion.
The lion is not fooled.
Bill Putnam
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 21117
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Revolutionary Hodag Party

Postby cavepyranha » Jul 13, 2009 5:02 pm

I did double post this, but was not sure where it would be viewed my the most cavers planning on attending ICS.

ICS Volunteers needed!
The Transportation Committee is in need of drivers for the shuttle services Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights. The events will not start until everyone, including the last van-loads of people and their drivers arrive. Please contact Don Arburn, donarburn@mac.com to volunteer or get the specifics. Please contact before Thursday, July 16th.
cavepyranha
Infrequent Poster

Name: Dianne
NSS #: 50838
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Pine Mt. Grotto

Postby NZcaver » Jul 13, 2009 6:05 pm

Cheryl Jones wrote:No images at the links in Wayne's message! (Maybe because of copyright concerns?)

Steven Johnson wrote:Those image links appear to be dead :doh:

I can see the image just fine. I can only assume that postimage.org (our embedded image "provider") was down for a while this morning and is now back up.

How about instead using an image of the little blue bat and CC favicon, which appears in the browser address bar? (I'd add the image here, but when I click "Add image to post" I get a "page not found" message.) Seems reasonable to use a symbol that is used to identify Cavechat! And we need a flag with this symbol on it to stake out our corner of the Howdy Party! David, Wayne....is there a larger, higher res. version available?

Bill Putnam wrote:Well, the Geico caveman is undoubtedly protected by copyright and trademark status, so I like Cheryl's suggestion better anyway. But here's another: to really capture the spirit of CaveChat, how about a big banner with this symbol:
:beatinghorse:

I think I'll make a little sticker like that to put on my name badge as well. It seems most appropriate.

Or maybe I should make an RHP banner?

OK, go ahead and do whatever you want. :shrug: As I recall the modified caveman logo was used as the forum banner image for a year or more. While the original version may likely be protected by copyright or trademark status, the non-commercial use of this modified image as a parody is probably no huge cause for alarm. I recall this has been discussed on the forum before.

Moving on, I appreciate Cheryl's suggestion of using the little black bat on the blue background with the letters "CC". However 15x15 pixels is just a little too small, and we don't seem to have a larger version available right now. That logo is also a little plain, but hey if folks want to print one out and stick it to their ID more power to them.

I just decided to seize the moment and do something by re-promoting the tried-and-tested logo we used successfully at convention 2 years ago. If you don't like it, don't use it! :doh: Frankly I don't really care if you do or not. This topic has attracted some positive interest from a few folks, along with other comments like "I'll be over at the rest of the Howdy Party assiduously avoiding the Cavechat Party" and Putnam's spirit of Cavechat - beating a dead horse image. Perhaps it's all in jest, but I feel a bit like I'm beating a dead horse right now. :roll:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby hewhocaves » Jul 13, 2009 6:18 pm

What do you all think of the avatar I just made up as the "cavechat" logo?

I think I can have a bunch made up as stickers for the name tags at convention!(I already bought the stickers - its just a matter of printing them :) I'd be getting there on sunday and so I can have them left at registration with some on my person for the howdy party!

And I'd be more than happy to give the rights to it over to the NSS so that proceeds from pins, bumper stickers, etc... goes towards maintenance for this board and website :)

John
The NSS and WNS: Cooperation, not confrontation.
hewhocaves
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: John Tudek
NSS #: 36021
Primary Grotto Affiliation: MonGrotto

Postby NZcaver » Jul 13, 2009 6:34 pm

hewhocaves wrote:What do you all think of the avatar I just made up as the "cavechat" logo?

Nice work, John. The guy is a little hunched over and seems to be typing with his elbow, but it's certainly a recognizable image. If you care to go ahead with your plan and leave some at registration, I'd happily put one of those on my convention ID. Perhaps this on one side and the caveman on the other, if there's room.

Perhaps I should have been a little more proactive at calling for ideas weeks ago, but NCRC and backcountry trips and preparing to move again and other projects have been swallowing my time. Thanks for your input.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby NZcaver » Jul 13, 2009 6:55 pm

Hey - if somebody would like to create a Cavechat banner and bring it along for the Howdy Party, that would be really, really cool. :wtg:

I guess it doesn't much matter if it has a caveman, a bat, or a computer caver on it - as long as it says "Cavechat" (or perhaps "NSS online forum" if you prefer). Please no speleo-political banners or inappropriate material.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby Bill Putnam » Jul 13, 2009 7:06 pm

I'm for whatever Jansen likes, as long as it has a dead horse on it somewhere.
:big grin:

(and Barbara can't come to our party unless she apologizes for hurting Jansen's feelings!)
:rofl:
Bill Putnam, NSS 21117 RL/FE
Chairman and Chief Troublemaker
The Revolutionary Hodag Party - Thinking outside the cave.

The jackal can roar,
pretending to be a lion.
The lion is not fooled.
Bill Putnam
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 21117
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Revolutionary Hodag Party

Postby hewhocaves » Jul 13, 2009 7:24 pm

NZcaver wrote:
hewhocaves wrote:What do you all think of the avatar I just made up as the "cavechat" logo?

Nice work, John. The guy is a little hunched over and seems to be typing with his elbow, but it's certainly a recognizable image. If you care to go ahead with your plan and leave some at registration, I'd happily put one of those on my convention ID. Perhaps this on one side and the caveman on the other, if there's room.

Perhaps I should have been a little more proactive at calling for ideas weeks ago, but NCRC and backcountry trips and preparing to move again and other projects have been swallowing my time. Thanks for your input.

Yeah, If you look at the International Caver symbol, it looks (to me at least) like he's dragging a broken leg.

I tried to keep faithful to that design for two reasons - (one) to reinforce our roots and (two) it is a nice, minimalistic design. I picked yellow as a background because the colors of the bat logo are more recognizable to American Cavers.

The actual logo will be a yellow circle 3/4ths of a inch wide with the logo in it.

Well, with your ringing endorsement, I will prioritize this and make every effort to get it for sunday :)

John
hewhocaves
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Jul 13, 2009 7:29 pm

hewhocaves wrote:I tried to keep faithful to that design for two reasons - (one) to reinforce our roots and (two) it is a nice, minimalistic design. I picked yellow as a background because the colors of the bat logo are more recognizable to American Cavers.

The actual logo will be a yellow circle 3/4ths of a inch wide with the logo in it.

Well, with your ringing endorsement, I will prioritize this and make every effort to get it for sunday :)

Again John, nice work. I look forward to seeing the fruits of your labors.

Bill Putnam wrote:I'm for whatever Jansen likes, as long as it has a dead horse on it somewhere. :big grin:

Mark my words Bill, one of these days you're going to wake up next to that dead horse you keep beating... :yikes: :tonguecheek:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby NZcaver » Jul 13, 2009 7:59 pm

Cheryl Jones wrote:How about instead using an image of the little blue bat and CC favicon, which appears in the browser address bar? Image

Not to detract from John's recent effort, or the caveman, but I realized the image Cheryl suggested is simply the bat silhouette from of our classic NSS sticker. So I took the original design, photoshopped the colors, added text and cropped it a bit:

The image doesn't look quite so sharp and nice now that I've enlarged it, but it might work for a banner at the Howdy party in a pinch. I have no means of printing out large banners, but if anybody would like to do something like this and bring it with them - go for it!
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby Cheryl Jones » Jul 13, 2009 8:03 pm

I think the seated caver is a little odd. Typing with his elbow, and at first glance I thought it was something vertical....that the laptop line was a rope. Can't you change his arm so that it is in a more natural position? Just because the caver symbol has a funky leg doesn't mean the CC caver has to type with his elbow! Anyway, cavers aren't on Cavechat in a cave. So having a caver with a hardhat on at a desk makes more sense to me. :cavechat: I'd think the symbol represented a cave scientist entering data in a cave -- not cavers being on cave chat when they aren't caving.

I still like the little blue favicon. It is easy to recognize and reproduce and unusual enough to stand out. Maybe a Cavechat graphics person out there can re-draw it in a larger size, higher resolution? It's a simple design.

The NSS has two (or 3?) long Cavechat banners that we've hung at the last two conventions.
Image Someone remind me to take one down and take to the Howdy Party, or you do it yourself. Hmmm....maybe it'd be a good idea to hang one in the big tent where I think the HP will be, to remain the whole week.

Hey this time next week we'll be saying howdy! :beer30: :toast: :banana:
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Postby NZcaver » Jul 13, 2009 8:14 pm

Cheryl Jones wrote:The NSS has two (or 3?) long Cavechat banners that we've hung at the last two conventions.

I wish I'd known we already have our own banners before making half of my earlier suggestions! Very nice. I wasn't at last year's convention, but I did attend the 2007 one. Guess I must not have seen or remembered any Cavechat banners. :shrug:

Someone remind me to take one down and take to the Howdy Party, or you do it yourself. Hmmm....maybe it'd be a good idea to hang one in the big tent where I think the HP will be, to remain the whole week.

Cheryl - when you say "take one down" do you mean they'll already by up at the ICS? Will they be at registration or the book store or where? Hopefully between a few of us, we should be able to remember to get one over to the Howdy Party.

And for what it's worth, I still plan to stick our little caveman on my convention ID.

NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby hewhocaves » Jul 13, 2009 8:50 pm

Cheryl Jones wrote:I think the seated caver is a little odd. Typing with his elbow, and at first glance I thought it was something vertical....that the laptop line was a rope. Can't you change his arm so that it is in a more natural position? Just because the caver symbol has a funky leg doesn't mean the CC caver has to type with his elbow! Anyway, cavers aren't on Cavechat in a cave. So having a caver with a hardhat on at a desk makes more sense to me. :cavechat: I'd think the symbol represented a cave scientist entering data in a cave -- not cavers being on cave chat when they aren't caving.

I suppose I could give a change a try. I've got a little time before bed.

In other news, the current design looks great on the 3/4" sticker, even with my deskjet printer. I can really print several hundred of these out. I'm very pleased with it. I'll keep it as a backup in case I can't come up with something better.

the problem I see with a crooked arm is that it would clutter up the center of the design with a lot more black.

As for a desk, that would shrink the whole design by extending the y-axis, if you follow. More detail would be lost and again, it would further complicate the design. But I will try that as well and let everyone know what I have by tomorrow night :)

Hey, one other thing - I'm bringing a big map of the geology around Lewisburg WV to convention - it's part of my MS Thesis. The map measures 24"x40" and covers about a 2x2 quadrangle area. I'm not sure where I'll be putting it up as this is all last minute, but it should be worth seeing. The only caveat is that it's the working draft (the final one should be ready for OTR tho!)

John

addendum:

As you can see Mk 2 is up as my avatar. I did try the seated at a table one, and there wound up being a lot of chair and table involved. Sorry, I can give that a try again tomorrow, but it's going to be hard.

Basically, I work up a concept on a whiteboard to see how things will look in relation to each other, then if it looks doable, i sketch it on graph paper lightly, then work it over with a ruler and circles and then ink. Its pretty much all done without the use of a computer. Ironic, huh lol.

If you'd like to see a side-by-side comparison look here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/hewhocaves/Avatars#

John
hewhocaves
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Caver Events