SM Harness & Redundant Bouyancy

Questions, techniques, gear, safety. Also visit the NSS Cave Diving Section.

Moderator: Moderators

SM Harness & Redundant Bouyancy

Postby MDS » Jul 3, 2009 4:39 am

Folks: am cave training using the Farrworld s/m harness & using drysuit only for bouyancy control. The Farrworld Harness has no means of redundant bouyancy incorporated unless you use it with a jacket style BCD or wing etc......

If you chose to dive deep enough where your drysuit could provide insufficient lift alone but still need to sidemount what are good s/m alternatives available to provide redundant lift?

I was mulling over the DiveRite Nomad recently but am still undecided by the abundance of harness's available. Any recommendations/suggestions warmly recieved........

best, Matt S
Disclaimer: Any statements, opinions and points of view expressed in this post represent those of the author only. Simularities by other individuals are purely coincidental.
MDS
Occasional Poster

Name: Matt Smith
NSS #: 60930
Primary Grotto Affiliation: NSS-Cave Diving Section

Re: SM Harness & Redundant Bouyancy

Postby Squirrel Girl » Jul 3, 2009 8:50 am

You might try posting to the Cave Diver's Forum, as they have more SM divers there.

I have a Nomad, and generally it's great. But if you're doing sump-like diving a Farr harness would probably be better.

Now there's a "Razor" harness. The guy who invented it uses a camelbak bladder for bouyancy!!!!!!!
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Re: SM Harness & Redundant Bouyancy

Postby FW » Jul 6, 2009 6:07 am

A jacket BC over a Farr harness works reasonably well. There is also a new Sidemount harness available from oxycheq.com. I haven't seen it yet, but early reports say it is good.
Any opinions are personal.
FW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Forrest Wilson
NSS #: 16631
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cave Diving Section

Return to Cave Diving Forum