need frog help!

Topics and issues of interest to cavers which are not related to caving. No political or religious discussions, please.

Moderator: Moderators

need frog help!

Postby wendy » Jun 9, 2009 10:16 pm

I need some help! I am seriously afraid of frogs and my new house has a serious tree frog problem! What can I do to get rid of them? Graham won't kill them, and I am trying to get him to round them up and relocate them a few blocks away or something. One even got on my car and jumped on my, thankfully closed, window while I was driving, I don't need that. So someone please help me. One got in the hose the other day but Graham sent me to the back of the house while he grabbed it. Maybe I can find a nice rat snake to keep in the backyard.
"Blessed are they who learn from their mistakes. For they shall make, if not necessarily fewer of them, different and more interesting ones."

"It's the good girls who keep diaries; the bad girls never have the time." - Tallulah Bankhead
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Re: need frog help!

Postby NZcaver » Jun 9, 2009 11:35 pm

Hmmm, most people who need "frog help" around here are talking vertical systems! :big grin:

Frog-phobic? You could maybe try spraying a salt water solution to repel them, if you don't mind killing a few plants in the process. Check out this.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby fuzzy-hair-man » Jun 10, 2009 12:45 am

wendy wrote:I need some help! I am seriously afraid of frogs and my new house has a serious tree frog problem! What can I do to get rid of them? Graham won't kill them, and I am trying to get him to round them up and relocate them a few blocks away or something. One even got on my car and jumped on my, thankfully closed, window while I was driving, I don't need that. So someone please help me. One got in the hose the other day but Graham sent me to the back of the house while he grabbed it. Maybe I can find a nice rat snake to keep in the backyard.

Please don't kill them!!! :please: frogs are great (and not just the vertical one's NZcaver refers too) and they have enough challenges at the moment...

Just curious what's not to like about frogs? I could understand if you didn't like cane toads (just looking at them makes me want to throw up). We used to camp at a spot and they'd be in the showers and toilets and everywhere it was great, I really enjoyed seeing frogs about... big green and beautiful.

AFAIK the fact that you have lots of frogs around means the area where you are isn't badly polluted and the environment is in a reasonably good state as frogs are susceptible to pollutants etc so there could be a reason to be happy there are frogs? No? oh well... :grin:

I guess water in your yard will attract them so if you have water features or whatever this might be a problem :shrug: sorry I'm not real understanding I think frogs are great and I'd love having them... they eat insects so less insects / mozzies, still not convinced? :shrug:
fuzzy-hair-man
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: NUCC

Postby ian mckenzie » Jun 10, 2009 3:08 am

Rubber snakes?
ian mckenzie
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Alberta Speleological Society

Postby ArCaver » Jun 10, 2009 7:01 am

Reminds me of something that happened in a different life. I use to be an air conditioning mechanic in SW Louisiana. One day I drove about an hour into the marsh to a little community called Little Chenier. When I got out of my van I noticed some small children playing in the yard and a couple of five to six foot alligators sunning at the edge of the yard about twenty feet away. I mentioned this to the lady of the house who assured me the kids knew about gators and where perfectly safe. A few minutes later I saw a green tree frog in the house. When I told her about the frog she screamed hysterically and climbed on the kitchen table.

I'd recommend guineas for the frogs. Also great to control ticks, snakes and anything else that's small and meaty. If that's not an option, maybe something new age? http://www.hypnotherapy-nlp-treatments. ... -frogs.asp
ArCaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby wendy » Jun 10, 2009 9:30 am

I had a childhood of traumatic frog experiences. I've gotten over the stay on the ground kind, i can walk around them now at a safe distance, but those tree frogs are sneaky. I want to get a big snake for the yard. And to top it off I got something living in my chimney now too!
"Blessed are they who learn from their mistakes. For they shall make, if not necessarily fewer of them, different and more interesting ones."

"It's the good girls who keep diaries; the bad girls never have the time." - Tallulah Bankhead
wendy
Global Moderator

Postby graveleye » Jun 10, 2009 9:57 am

DISAPPROVES!!
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby Scott McCrea » Jun 10, 2009 10:03 am

wendy wrote:I had a childhood of traumatic frog experiences.

I found the video footage of Wendy's terrifying frog attack in the archives of YouTube. :big grin: :waving:
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby NZcaver » Jun 10, 2009 12:37 pm

It ain't easy, being green... :laughing:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Teresa » Jun 11, 2009 8:31 am

Wendy,
(This is meant in the most respectful way.)
Have you tried phobia counseling, or some sort of limited exposure counseling?
I'm personally frogophilic, and would love to trade houses with you, but I do have a friend who isn't. She was driving in a rainstorm in rural Missouri where I think every frog in the county was trying to cross the road. (A real life game of Frogger), and it was like a scene from Hitchcock's movie The Birds...only with frogs. She kept it together to drive, but I think it was mostly because she wanted to get to dry, frogless pavement.

I'm terrified of falling from a height, because as a 13 year old I slipped on wet wooden stairs in a commercial karst window and slid down them to the rickety platform over a chain link "gate". I've since forced myself to get on rope for short drops that no one else would think twice about, but to me might as well be Golandrinas. My husband is disorientingly claustrophobic, but he caves in small passages to his limit. Sounds like you've made some progress with ground frogs. What is it about tree frogs that is disconcerting?

What with the fungal attack against frogs and amphibians worldwide called "chytrid" and species dropping daily before we even knew what they were, I would suggest making things more difficult for frogs might not be a good idea. It's very analogous to the WNS problem, and the rabies control people who go spastic every summer to warn people about bats around here. Getting rid of the creature doesn't really solve the problem. If you have a good sense of sympathetic magic, you might have a friend put a big concrete "guard frog" in the garden to keep control of the little ones. Sounds like voodoo, but the rubber snake idea isn't too bad, either (if you like snakes.) Be aware that frogs do not have very large brains, and it's pretty easy to outsmart them without killing them.

I guess you need to find out what it is you fear about tree frogs (which are amazingly tiny, and yes, control insects, just like bats) and try to combat the fear, not the frogs. You may not ever like them (I don't like vertical exposures, to this day) but at least you can overcome the fear. Knowledge is power.

Good luck. Or you could read up on Chinese folk tales where frogs are good luck.
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby wendy » Jun 11, 2009 5:48 pm

tree frogs are the worst cuz they are sneaky, they can be anywhere, walls, they jump really far, and mine aren't all that small, i got the little ones but also the big cuban ones as well. I'd be afraid that a rubber snake would scare my really cool birds away. My neighborhood is very wooded and we are getting all sorts of woodland friends here. I also had a similar experience with them jumping all over the road. It was raining, there was fog, frogs, deer, luckily there were no owls since i hear that when frogs jump in the road like that then the owls will swoop in to get them, but it was a driving nightmare. I had a death grip on graham as i was driving, he said not to worry that they were outside the car, but i kept thinking if the car breaks down then the frogs would swarm and attack. I know weird fear, but its the only big fear i have. luckily i have good cave buddies that will relocate frogs in cave passage so i can continue on.

wendy
Global Moderator

Postby ian mckenzie » Jun 11, 2009 8:53 pm

Well, now we know how to have fun with you at a party... rubber frogs.
ian mckenzie
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Alberta Speleological Society

Postby wendy » Jun 11, 2009 10:05 pm

update:

the most amazing thing happened tonight, there were no frogs on my back doors. Seems that my cat, Lima Bean, sneaked out the front door last night, ran around to the back of the house, and when she was done with whatever she did, she scratched on the doors to let us know she was outside, and tonight, NO FROGS!

wendy
Global Moderator

Postby Jagdmann » Jul 16, 2009 9:48 am

:yikes: That's cruel!
I live in a place called "Screaming Frog Hollow".

Where's the Cat? :boxing:
Jagdmann
Occasional Poster

Name: Jean Jagdmann
NSS #: 59538
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BGG

Return to Open Talk Forum