Karst-O-Rama 2009

NSS Conventions, regional caving events, local caving events. Please spell out event initials for new members.

Moderator: Moderators

Karst-O-Rama 2009

Postby jumper » Feb 2, 2009 1:38 pm

Everyone Mark You Calenders!

Karst-O-Rama, June 25, 26, 27, and 28, 2009

Held at the Great Saltpetre Cave Preserve in Mount Vernon, Kentucky, just off Interstate 75 at Exit 59.

For more INFORMATION and ON-LINE REGISTRATION go to www.karstorama.com
jumper
Infrequent Poster

Re: Karst-O-Rama 2009

Postby mgmills » Feb 2, 2009 4:33 pm

jumper wrote:Everyone Mark You Calenders!

Karst-O-Rama, June 25, 26, 27, and 28, 2009

Held at the Great Saltpetre Cave Preserve in Mount Vernon, Kentucky, just off Interstate 75 at Exit 59.

For more INFORMATION and ON-LINE REGISTRATION go to http://www.karstorama.com

I've never attended. Is Karst-O-Rama about the same time each year? Do you have many vendors there?

I attended the NSS Convention at GSP in the early 2000's. Beautiful location.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Name: Martha Mills
NSS #: 39864
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby jumper » Feb 2, 2009 5:16 pm

For the most part KOR is held in Late June.

As to the number of venders ... hmm, I guess its depends on what your used to. We have less than OTR or the NSS conventions but more than most other events. I'm guessing there are around 2 doz. venders.

Attendance at KOR is in the 700 range.

I hope you show-up
jumper
Infrequent Poster

Postby hoosiercaver1 » Feb 2, 2009 6:07 pm

I cant believe your gonna make me choose between my grottos Cave Capers or KOR!!! I got to go to both last year. I had a great time at KOR last year and will more than likely go back. I really like seeing the Kentucky caves I dont get to go to all the time. I thought there were plenty of vendors last year. I was impressed.
http://www.hoosiercaving.webs.com

We are Halfway There!!!

Slow caving is Safe Caving!!!
hoosiercaver1
Prolific Poster

Name: John Shultheis
NSS #: 59560
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Eastern Indiana Grotto

Postby Grandpa Caver » Feb 2, 2009 8:54 pm

hoosiercaver1 wrote:I cant believe your gonna make me choose between my grottos Cave Capers or KOR!!! I got to go to both last year. I had a great time at KOR last year and will more than likely go back. I really like seeing the Kentucky caves I dont get to go to all the time. I thought there were plenty of vendors last year. I was impressed.

I agree. Both events have long been on my annual "must do" list.

And what about the vendors? They certainly can't be in two places at the same time!

This is all messed up! Whats a caver to do???
Brian Leavell
NSS 21862FE
Grandpa Caver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Brian Leavell
NSS #: 21862FE

Postby mgmills » Feb 2, 2009 9:09 pm

Grandpa Caver wrote:
hoosiercaver1 wrote:I cant believe your gonna make me choose between my grottos Cave Capers or KOR!!! I got to go to both last year. I had a great time at KOR last year and will more than likely go back. I really like seeing the Kentucky caves I dont get to go to all the time. I thought there were plenty of vendors last year. I was impressed.

I agree. Both events have long been on my annual "must do" list.

And what about the vendors? They certainly can't be in two places at the same time!

This is all messed up! Whats a caver to do???

The reason I asked is a grotto I belong to is hosting SERA Cave Carnival in 2010 and was/is discussing/looking at a June date. (Last year and this year SERA has been scheduled the weekend after Speleofest.)

There are so many "regular" caving events trying to schedule them without conflicts is often difficult. . . not to mention hard for those of us who work in professions that require weekend work to attend as many as we'd like.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Postby mgmills » Feb 2, 2009 9:18 pm

jumper wrote:For the most part KOR is held in Late June.

As to the number of venders ... hmm, I guess its depends on what your used to. We have less than OTR or the NSS conventions but more than most other events. I'm guessing there are around 2 doz. venders.

Attendance at KOR is in the 700 range.

I hope you show-up

I am about to start a new job which will require me to work every other weekend. Won't have my schedule of which weekend I'll be working for a couple of weeks. . . I don't know if I can make it this year. I'd love to have my husband see the GSP. I fell in love with the site when the NSS Convention was held there.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Postby hoosiercaver1 » Mar 13, 2009 12:47 pm

Good news, if anyone wanted to attend both KOR and CIG Cave Capers you can. We have a new date for Cave Capers. It will be Aug. 14-16. Im putting another topic on here with more info on Capers. Im glad that Ill hopefully be able to go to both!!! :banana_yay:
http://www.hoosiercaving.webs.com

We are Halfway There!!!

Slow caving is Safe Caving!!!
hoosiercaver1
Prolific Poster

Name: John Shultheis
NSS #: 59560

Postby SMGCaver » Apr 27, 2009 10:12 pm

***KOR UPDATE 2009***

I posted this as a reply to another post, but wanted to get the information out over here as well.

Karst o Rama has been in a quandry about the trip issue since January when Crawlathon was cancelled due to the threat of WNS entering KY.

As it stands as of April 27th, 2009, there will be NO guided trips by KOR staff offerred this year until more is known about the potential for WNS transmission. There will be guided trips and educational seminars in Great Saltpeter Cave, focusing on archaeology, geology and other cave related topics.

Does this mean there will be no caving at KOR?

We don't know. The Daniel Boone National Forest is considering a closure on all caves and mines, except for research purposes, for an unknown amount of time. Several major KOR caves are located on DBNF lands and this causes obvious difficulty. The Kentucky Dept. of Fish and Wildlife is debating what course of action to take, but as KOR Chair, I don't know the timeframe that decision may come in. It may allow for caving in select caves, and it may not. KOR Staff are involved and active in the WNS process with KyDFW and hope to be able to offer a possible solution, but it may not come until just before, or after KOR.

The Greater Cincinnati Grotto has taken a position concurrent with the ethics of it's parent organization, the NSS, until more information is known. Individual caving trips are discouraged, but if one HAS to, we ask that the US Fish and Wildlife guidelines on decontamination of cave gear be followed.

As to the website, I am updating it as more WNS info becomes available. It was probable that caving was going to be possible early on, but as more WNS info was disclosed, many abatement decisions were undertaken by local grottos, preserves and agencies to provide the best and safest course of action.

We hope to see many of you at KOR this year, and we have many activities planned that will take the place of the organized cave trips. But if you can't make it, we'll understand. We hope that each of you, in following the conservation ethos of the NSS, understand our position as well.

Chris Hacker
KOR 2009 Chairman
:bat sticker:
SMGCaver
"Normal is a cycle on a washing machine"
SMGCaver
Infrequent Poster

Name: Chris Hacker
NSS #: 25006
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Greater Cincinnati Grotto

Postby wyandottecaver » Apr 27, 2009 10:25 pm

also posted there is the confirmation that Regions 8 and 9 of the USFS which includes everything east of the mississippi and a good chunk east of Texas have officially closed their caves for 1 year. Unless the DBNF institutes some type of local amendment in the future, all the DBNF caves should be considered closed.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby HKalnitz » Jun 9, 2009 8:39 pm

Hey Folks
Karst-o-Rama is just around the corner; June 25-28th.

We have been working hard on this years event, and have added many new non-caving events: History by Odell, and Geology by Ralph Ewers, Archaeology by Tankersley, Speleology by Brucker, and survey and vertical courses!
Oh and we are going to have (limited) cave trips as well !

Friday night - Classic Kentucky Bluegrass Band!

Pre-registration closes June 14 - http://www.Karstorama.com

Or just show up!!

KOR staff
The NSS needs Cavers more then Cavers need the NSS
HKalnitz
Frequent Poster

Name: Howard Kalnitz
NSS #: 20678
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Great Cincinnati Grotto

Postby InTucky » Jun 12, 2009 9:25 am

Just curious who all is going, i'll be there with my usual group of about 10-12. Just look for the white toyota tundra with :bat sticker: or the tiki bar! :kewl: :bananabat: :banana: I'll be there the 24th
I don't know how long it is
Yes we have to go back the same way!
Dry Socks.......Gods greatest creation!
InTucky
Frequent Poster

Name: Dustin Tandy
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Greater Cincinnati Grotto

Postby HKalnitz » Jun 17, 2009 5:43 am

Pre-Registration for KOR 2009 will end at midnight tomorrow, June 17th!

The KOR website has been updated with info about the Saturday night activities!

The Bluegrass Grotto will host and operate the Caver Cafe and Guano Grill at the
GSP Shelter, along with ice sales!

On Sunday, the Hydrology Seminar from Dr. Ralph Ewers will perform an actual
trace from near Mullins Spings Cave to dye detectors located in Crooked Creek in
GSP. Will the creek turn Fluorescein green or Rhodamine purple? Attend the
seminar to find out!

Chris Hacker
The NSS needs Cavers more then Cavers need the NSS
HKalnitz
Frequent Poster

Name: Howard Kalnitz
NSS #: 20678
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Great Cincinnati Grotto

Postby InTucky » Jun 22, 2009 8:22 am

48 hrs and i'm out of here :cavingrocks: