NSS/ICS Convention in July

NSS Conventions, regional caving events, local caving events. Please spell out event initials for new members.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Ernie Coffman » May 17, 2009 8:51 pm

2009 NSS/ICS Convention needs Security folks

I know this has been here, before, but we've changed it somewhat so that we don't work eight hours for a shift, but just four hours, so...please read on. We convinced the staff members that folks came for the convention, just like others, so doing just four hours we just might get our volunteers for the many shifts that we have scheduled.

We in the Security Task Force need bodies that will be able to watch the one gate and others will roam around the campus during the convention, helping out with questions and directions, and anything that will make the convention run smoothly. This should be a piece of cake, but with all the various languages involved--YOU DON'T HAVE TO KNOW ANY LANGUAGES, other than your native one, although it would be helpful, as there might be a hiccup here or there; thus, we need to get volunteers soon, so that we can schedule you into a slot for earning your t-shirt. All you have to do is to work one 4-hour shift on the gate or one 4-hour shift roaming around the campus, which you'd do anyway, right? On top of that, if you have a buddy/wife/significant other...or whatever that you want to be on the same shift with, we could schedule you for two on and two on the other site and vice versa. How's that sound to you?

This will get you a t-shirt, a thanks from the staff, and a big thank you from Papa Mike and Sonny Ern.

Please contact Ernie Coffman at ecjcman@charter.net so we can put you into the schedule and get your size t-shirt order, as that deadline is coming up real soon.

Thanks much! :kewl:
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: NSS/ICS Convention in July

Postby NZcaver » May 20, 2009 3:54 pm

OK Ernie, you convinced me!

It'll be just like old times in Bellingham! :banana: (But possibly a little warmer and drier.) :big grin:

I'll shoot you an email.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Ernie Coffman » May 20, 2009 4:49 pm

Preview: NSS/ICS Convention in July
That'll be great NZ! You'll join the group of other volunteers who will help to make the convention(s) go a lot smoother and safer! :kewl: ONLY four (4) hours is all one needs to put in. The major problem right now, if anyone is thinking about joining us, is that we need your name and t-shirt size NOW, for the order has to be going in soon. :doh:

Please consider contacting me off line and getting us your info, so we can get our Security Force together. Thanks much!

Ernie Coffman and Mike Frazier :tonguecheek:

P.S. Definitely warmer! No getting around that. :yikes:
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby dlocklear01 » Jun 21, 2009 12:09 pm

The campus just opened a new facility across from the quiet campground. This building has 2 racquetball courts and
a room with about 20 new exercise bikes, and a big TV mounted on the wall showing CNN.

It has new showers.

I don't know how late it will stay open to use the showers.

There is a nice health club about 4 miles from the campground that has an indoor pool and a large jacuzzi, and a bowling alley
and basketball court. A week pass cost $ 60. It stays open til 10 pm on weeknights and 11 pm on Friday and Saturday.

For more info, do a Twitter search for "KerrCaveNews."
dlocklear01
Infrequent Poster

Postby cavergirl » Jul 8, 2009 2:33 pm

does any one know, for us non-wireless folks, will there be access to computers with internet access at the university?
cavergirl
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Chrys
NSS #: 45071
Primary Grotto Affiliation: nashville grotto

Postby Ernie Coffman » Jul 8, 2009 4:11 pm

Hey there Cavergirl, there will be internet access available on the Schreiner University campus. :kewl: Where, I'm not sure of, but...have been told that "it'll be in the guidebook. :down: :doh: :shrug: Maybe by the time they hear that question a bazillion times, they'll put up a notice at Registration...or have it in the daily newsrag being edited by Norma, once again. :tonguecheek:
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Ernie Coffman » Jul 8, 2009 10:02 pm

Cavergirl, here's another update on Internet access with plain 'ole computers from Hazel Medville. "There are Internet Cafes (3) where access will be posted." And, as I wrote before, check your program guide...and probably the daily newspaper. :banana_yay:
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby jwashin » Jul 9, 2009 7:34 am

Lightning Talks

Reminder: There will be a Lightning Talks session at Convention/ICS on Friday afternoon in Dietert Auditorium, 2pm to 5pm.

It's kind of a pot-luck presentation session. The program consists of whomever shows up with a presentation.

Everyone who chooses to speak has five minutes "on the big stage", subject to available time.

Five minutes is enough time to show off something, but not so much time to get boring.

Talks can be anything related to caves, cavers, or caving.

If you wish to participate, bring your visuals on a USB flash drive in PowerPoint format.

Consult the program for details. See you there!

- Jim Washington
jwashin
Infrequent Poster

Camp showers

Postby dlocklear01 » Jul 14, 2009 11:56 pm

Camp showers have been built near the loud campground. They should be finished by the 17th.

I highly recommend you bring a large comfortable hammock to string between the trees. That will be your best way to relax in the shade,
as there are lots of trees around the perimeter of camp, but they are on an incline at the edge of a bone-dry creekbed.

There are 3 or 4 water hose connections within 100 feet of the campground. I presume these are for filling your water jugs and washing
at your camp-site.

The quiet campground is not as scenic, nor does it have much shade. It is also slightly further from the events, especially the concerts.

I slept out in the open without bug spray a few nights ago on the campus. It was hot at first, but a breeze made it tolerable, and it eventually
dropped to a cool 70 degrees and I slept like a baby. Having a cool wet rag near your bed helps you cool down enough to fall asleep. I did see
some stars, but there are too many lights around campus and town, to really see them well.

I recommend you try some authentic mexican Tacos de Barbacoa, if you have never tried them. There is a taco stand near campus that has these. The meat comes from the cheek muscles of the cow's face, and is very tasty. It looks like shredded roast beef. I have eaten 5 tacos there with no stomach ailments.
dlocklear01
Infrequent Poster

Postby CaverScott » Jul 16, 2009 7:39 am

Any caver/geocachers coming? I have about 12 trackables that need a ride. One wants to head to Vegas and another needs a lift to Colordo. You can e-mail my phone by using 2059147487@vtext DOT com

:cavingrocks:

See you at the Howdy Party!

:toast: :bananaguitar: :violin: :beer30:
CaverScott
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 19797L
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham CIG SCCi IKC

Postby Cheryl Jones » Aug 10, 2009 10:59 pm

Speleologists from All Over the World Tour and Study National Park Caves
The 15th International Congress of Speleology, themed “Karst Horizons,” has been going on all week in Kerrsville, Texas, and will conclude Sunday. The Park Service not only co-sponsored this year’s meeting, but also offered visiting cave enthusiasts and scientists the option to participate in field camps and guided excursions in various NPS units with caves.
Read on
http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/20 ... park-caves
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Return to Caver Events