STAR TREK--SPOILER ALERT

Topics and issues of interest to cavers which are not related to caving. No political or religious discussions, please.

Moderator: Moderators

STAR TREK--SPOILER ALERT

Postby Dangerjudy » May 13, 2009 3:31 pm

See the new Star Trek Movie. Just do it. I went expecting to be disappointed and wow- it's a great movie. :kewl:
Birmingham Grotto, NSS 49720. "I reserve the right to be ridiculous." bono
Dangerjudy
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 49720
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham Grotto

Re: STAR TREK

Postby Carl Amundson » May 13, 2009 3:33 pm

I'm going to go see it in IMAX tonight.
Can't wait.
Carl Amundson
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Carl Amundson
NSS #: 50213
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Front Royal and Tri-State Grottos

Postby Squirrel Girl » May 13, 2009 6:27 pm

I really liked it, too. I want to discuss a character situation with others, but I hate it when too many cats are let out of the bag for a movie I haven't seen. Is it OK to ask my question with a huge SPOILER declaration. So that people who have seen it can discuss, but others are warned to stay away???
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby mabercrombie » May 13, 2009 6:54 pm

I Saw it last Saturday. WOW.... I cant decide if I want them to make a new TV series or just more movies. I will probably see it again in the next week or so.
:clap:
Im Marty Abercrombie
and I approve this message
mabercrombie
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: marty abercrombie
NSS #: 51557
Primary Grotto Affiliation: chattanooga

Postby Cheryl Jones » May 13, 2009 9:47 pm

Saw it this afternoon! Great flick -- much better than I expected.

Awesome special effects -- they sure have come a long way since the early years! Amazing how they found actors that looked like they could have been younger versions of the crew we know.

SG -- Sure! Maybe put a big header on your message "spoiler"! What's the point of having a Star Trek topic if we can't discuss the movie? :doh: I figure people shouldn't come here if they don't want to read about what goes on.

Cheryl
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Postby Carl Amundson » May 13, 2009 10:59 pm

I saw it tonight and really enjoyed it.
I was hoping it would be good and it was great.

Seeing it on a 50' screen was amazing.
Carl Amundson
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Carl Amundson
NSS #: 50213
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Front Royal and Tri-State Grottos

Re: STAR TREK -SPOILER ALERT!!!

Postby Dangerjudy » May 14, 2009 12:39 pm

I think if you post your spoiler topic with the SPOILER ALERT heading it's all good.

I will see it again in the theater.

So- SPOILER ALERT:
Two things I liked the least -
The Romulans. They weren't anything like past Romulans, and are an example of ST's habit of putting different skin markings on faces to depict different alien races.
Scotty's "Pet" Friend thingy - not needed.

My Fav - new Spock - he is HOT. :banana:
Dangerjudy
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: STAR TREK--SPOILER ALERT

Postby Squirrel Girl » May 14, 2009 4:02 pm

SPOILER ALERT--don't read if you want to be surprised!

So, I heard someone else complain about the Romulans. I figure they did pretty good. Many things were spot on (Spock on?) But they had to add a few new things, just cuz. So it didn't bother me that they had the Romulans a little different.

Yeah, the friend o Scotty was a little StarWarsian. Speaking of which, I am getting tired of sci fi movies that have to have fight scenes on tiny platforms over precipitous drops. Alright already.

But the one thing that was just wrong to me was Spock's mom dying. She was in several episodes on TV.

Oh, and I sure never saw any quarries in my home state of Iowa that looked ANYTHING that one in the movie!!!
Barbara Anne am Ende

Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

Postby Marlatt » May 14, 2009 4:37 pm

Squirrel Girl wrote:SPOILER ALERT--don't read if you want to be surprised!

But the one thing that was just wrong to me was Spock's mom dying. She was in several episodes on TV.

Lots (LOTS) of things in the movie that don't jive with the ST "canon." Like - Vulcan and Romulus have both been destroyed. Kirk's dad dies at his birth. Etc, etc.

Point is - the time-traveling Romulons have messed up the timeline. We're into an alternative universe. (I have expected Spock to have a beard!)

swm
(But, good movie overall. I didn't care for the pacing - felt like I was watching a video game - but loved most of the characters.)
Psalms 95.4 / Proverbs 25.2
Marlatt
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 19583
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Colorado

Postby Dangerjudy » May 14, 2009 6:19 pm

OK SPOILER ALERT

More gripes... lol

How many times did Kirk catch himself by just the hands, dangling over a chasm? Three?

Ice planet with monsters - StarWarsian -

Some of the space fight scenes were overwhelming, couldn't really see what was happening.

The new 'Bones' kind of got on my nerves.

What is that Romulan ship supposed to be? A metal space jellyfish?

And more stuff I'm happy with:

Gorgeous ship. Shot of the shipyard in Iowa was AWESOME. Captain Pike rocked.

I liked the score.

Kirk and Spock were just great. Both of them nailed their characters without becoming a parody - they added freshness to the roles.

That Vulcan school was cool.

OK that's it for now. :woohoo:
Dangerjudy
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Squirrel Girl » May 14, 2009 6:37 pm

Dangerjudy wrote:OK SPOILER ALERT
What is that Romulan ship supposed to be? A metal space jellyfish?

Kirk and Spock were just great. Both of them nailed their characters without becoming a parody - they added freshness to the roles.

Yeah, I wasn't soo keen on the metal jellyfish (apt description). It's another of those sort of stereotypical Hollywood things. Those tentacles were totally pointless and foolish.

I thought almost all the characters were good. Yeah, Spock stole the show. I didn't dislike the new Bones. More of a bad boy than the original. I thought the new Uhura looked a lot like the old one, but with a new doo and a flat chest.

I couldn't get into Chekoff at first, but near the end, I thought he came through. More like the original, and more like himself. Sulu just wasn't.

I couldn't figure out how they'd do Kirk. I figured he'd be more like Harrison Ford's son in the last Raiders. A bad boy, but not as "together" (for lack of a better word) than the original. But after a slow start (like Chekoff), I think he pulled it off and was fairly Kirk like in a fresher way.

Before they got him on the ship, I wasn't too keen on the new Scottie being Scottie. But on the ship, he did a terrific job. But the hydraulic system. Come on. I don't think so.
Barbara Anne am Ende

Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

Postby wyandottecaver » May 14, 2009 8:11 pm

yea the romulan ship was quite screwy. a "common mining ship" that was virtually invulnerable (and apparently undetectable for 25 yrs) to cutting edge warships of 100 someodd yrs earlier AND to a state of the art ship developed in it's own time? one quick reference as the new enterprise is enroute is to a recent encounter where I think something like 47 warbirds were destroyed... Also the rest of the "cadet fleet" destroyed in the 30 odd seconds it took the new sulu to get going to warp?

I suppose Nero ( ironic if cheesy copy of Roman history) operated in the pirate infested areas of Romulan space and had to go well armed......
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Dangerjudy » May 15, 2009 9:14 am

Good points, guys. I had forgotten the 'hydraulic system' scene. Willy Wonka... :big grin:

Also remember that at this point Romulus is *not* destroyed, wonder if they'll address that. All "Nero" had to do was alert people in the earlier time that this was going to happen, and they could have moved people off planet, or perhaps had time to make a better solution to save Romulus. But hey it's a movie, and there's no way to stitch up all the continuity. I love the new guys and the new timeline means a lot more cool new stuff for the future.
Dangerjudy
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Teresa » May 21, 2009 10:01 pm

Ok...whose idea was it to make up an 88 yr old Nimoy to be 200?

That being said, I didn't like the darkness of the Romulans and the Romulan ship. Too overblown and thrash metal.
The kid crew was awesome, though. Even the 60s miniskirt.There were a lot of nice touches that only someone who has been watching this for 40 years will get. I liked how this movie wove in and out of expectations into surprise and back again.

Alternate timeline. Wonderful hook. Happy to be back in the 60s and shed of all the serious philosophy of the 80s and 90s TV spawn. Interesting how the kid crew played the grampy actors, not just the characters. That rocked!

Too bad they couldn't have convince Shatner to do something cameo via a video feed or something. Maybe sing.
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby graveleye » May 22, 2009 12:37 pm

:notlistening:

going to see it tonight!!
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Next

Return to Open Talk Forum