Caving events

NSS Conventions, regional caving events, local caving events. Please spell out event initials for new members.

Moderator: Moderators

Caving events

Postby REB1 » Mar 29, 2009 7:11 am

With the threat of White nose syndrome on the rise,and cavers being told not to go caving,how will this effect this years upcoming events? :cave softly:
REB1
Occasional Poster

Name: Rodney Bradford
NSS #: 58040
Primary Grotto Affiliation: chattanooga

Re: Caving events

Postby David Grimes » Mar 29, 2009 6:08 pm

I am also interested in this since I recieved word that states bordering infected states are being asked to voluntarily stop caving and several events in states that border infected areas have already started accepting registration money for events. Will these events be cancelled or will people continue to cave anyway.
David Grimes
Admin

NSS #: 59533
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Underground Society

Postby Squirrel Girl » Mar 29, 2009 7:00 pm

It seems that there are events going on, but the caving part isn't happening. You can go, socialize, eat, drink, ridgewalk, do vertitraining, buy speleovendor goods, etc. But you might not get to go caving.

That's what it seems to me. You'd have to check for sure on the individual events themselves.
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby Cheryl Jones » Mar 29, 2009 10:07 pm

It'll be up to the host for each event. Right now I suspect everyone is still digesting the information and moratorium request. Maybe something will be posted here soon about the various events. Speleofest and SERA Cave Carnival are the two big upcoming ones that come to mind.

Spring VAR is still happening! And we know OTR will carry on...and on...and on... :rock band: :toast:
Cheryl
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Postby cavergirl » Apr 17, 2009 3:11 pm

SERA Cave Carnival is still on see below
viewtopic.php?f=12&p=69771#p69771

lots of activities are planned including:

- Friday night open mic night
- Win your weight in beer contest
- MardiCrawl Parade and contest
- The Band “Old Union” performance
- Climbing Contest
- 5k road race
- Caver’s race
- Blind climbing contest
- Caving vendors
- Hot tub and sauna
- food vendor
- Caver fellowship around the campfire

Should be lots of fun
check out the website http://sera2009.org/
and see the great T shirt design
http://sera2009.org/content/t-shirt

Chrys Hulbert
2009 SERA Vendor Chair
cavergirl
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Chrys
NSS #: 45071
Primary Grotto Affiliation: nashville grotto

Postby Claude Koch » Apr 30, 2009 10:58 pm

A schedule of events, speleo survivor details, and a revised meal plan has been updated and added to the website that is found here:

http://www.caves.org/grotto/wvg/regional/

Thanks,
Claude Koch
2009 NCA Event Planner
Claude Koch
Occasional Poster

NSS #: 56833
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Willamette Valley

Postby Evan G » Apr 30, 2009 11:50 pm

I went to Spring MVOR and it affect it a lot. I wanted to go caving, it was nice to visit a part of my family in Missouri but I enjoy getting underground. There were many trips canceled and I was very shy to go underground. Most my activity is in Wyoming even with the decon proceeder, with the incongruities of what should be done, I stayed away.
Evan G
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: EEG
NSS #: 28685
Primary Grotto Affiliation: NRMG

Postby caveflower » May 1, 2009 4:02 am

We have desided to only go to the events in our state of indiana, Hogfest and Cave Capers. We like to go caving at caving events. Now that moratorium has hit our state I think caving will be limited here too. Don't get me wrong I love to socialize, eat, drink,and be merry but its not the same if you can't going caving too. :cry:

We were going to KOR and Fall cave in but now we are staying home. I'm sure there are a lot of people who is doiing the same thing. This is going to hurt a lot of events.
Caving is fun but people are always more important.
caveflower
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Brenda
NSS #: 59462
Primary Grotto Affiliation: IKC EIG ISS NSS

Postby shibumi » May 1, 2009 7:08 am

caveflower wrote:We have desided to only go to the events in our state of indiana, Hogfest and Cave Capers. We like to go caving at caving events. Now that moratorium has hit our state I think caving will be limited here too. Don't get me wrong I love to socialize, eat, drink,and be merry but its not the same if you can't going caving too. :cry:

We were going to KOR and Fall cave in but now we are staying home. I'm sure there are a lot of people who is doiing the same thing. This is going to hurt a lot of events.

Brenda, to the best of my knowledge, the only moratorium in Indiana is on National Forest Service lands. The USFWS
has not listed Indiana as one of the quarantine states yet. If you know different, please post your source.

Anmar
shibumi
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby caveflower » May 1, 2009 1:29 pm

No I havn't hear that yet but its only a matter of time. I'm guessing. I think the state properties will be soon to follow. Just looking at the trends so far in other states. Let pray it don't go that far. :pray:
Caving is fun but people are always more important.
caveflower
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Brenda
NSS #: 59462
Primary Grotto Affiliation: IKC EIG ISS NSS

Postby Grandpa Caver » May 2, 2009 12:50 pm

Several years ago I decided I could satisify my caving desires on my own time leaving events to be treated as vacations. A time for checking out the latest gear and relaxing with good friends, many of whom I only see at these annual get-togethers..

Seems to me, if events are to survive this crises, more than a few cavers are going to need to adapt this attitude. There's still lots to do and enjoy without the caving. I have been a long time regular of Indianas Cave Capers and Kentuckys Karst-O-Rama and see no reason to stop going now. One can go caving most anytime but enjoying the fellowship of ones friends and peers is what these events should really be about.
Brian Leavell
NSS 21862FE
Grandpa Caver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Brian Leavell
NSS #: 21862FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Eastern Indiana Grotto

Postby JoeyS » May 6, 2009 12:53 pm

Regarding how this post applies to the upcoming SERA Cave Carnival:
The event is being held in Georgia, which is not on the voluntary moratorium list, and neither is Alabama. So, if you want to come and cave, I don't see why you shouldn't, just please follow the decontamination procedures, especially if you have caved in the affected areas. Decontamination advice, tools and supplies will be available at the site. Better yet, come to the event, buy all new gear from the vendors, take a hot shower, and then go caving in either Georgia or Alabama. :bananabat:
Or, as Cavergirl suggested, if you just don't want to take chances, then there are plenty of activities to do, besides caving. Plentiful hiking trails, biking trails, water ways, etc.. are a short drive from the site. Partying, eating, drinking and socializing are right there, so have at it! Also, since we expect many cavers to come to the event to socialize and not cave, that means the party will just be BIGGER and BETTER. On the flip side, if you come to cave, the caves will be less crowded. It's a win win!!
I hope to see you all there in a few weeks!

Joey Stuckey
2009 SERA Committee member

NSS #: 57719
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Postby graveleye » May 6, 2009 1:16 pm

I'm going caving while at SERA if I have to dig my own.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby NZcaver » May 6, 2009 3:04 pm

JoeyS wrote:Also, since we expect many cavers to come to the event to socialize and not cave, that means the party will just be BIGGER and BETTER. On the flip side, if you come to cave, the caves will be less crowded. It's a win win!!

I like that philosophy! :goodjob:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Bill Putnam » May 6, 2009 5:33 pm

I almost never go caving during a caving event anyway, as I am usually working the SCCi booth the entire time.
Bill Putnam, NSS 21117 RL/FE
Chairman and Chief Troublemaker
The Revolutionary Hodag Party - Thinking outside the cave.

The jackal can roar,
pretending to be a lion.
The lion is not fooled.
Bill Putnam
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 21117
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Revolutionary Hodag Party

Next

Return to Caver Events