New to the forum

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

New to the forum

Postby jhoover » Apr 22, 2009 9:27 am

Hello, I'm Jereme. I'm from Ridgeland, MS. I'm fairly new to caving. Last year while in North Arkansas trout fishing my brother(Michael) and I decided to visit Ozark National Park. We used Virtual Earth Terrain Maps to find multiple small caves and we were hooked. We took another trip to North Arkansas 3 months later specificaly to find caves and visit some well known caves in the area. We visited a few unnamed caves small caves, Vickery cave, Clay Cave, and Blowin' Cave. We allong with his girlfriend(Shiela), and our cousin(Brian) who is a rescue climber are planning on taking a trip to Jackson County Alabama Memorial Day weekend. I hope if we bump into local cavers they will be friendly. I have tried to contact local a few avid cavers but they have been largly unhelpfull but this is understandable as they have alot to protect. I think we will visit Limrock Blowing cave and Tumbling Rock Cave. Other caves I am interested in are Kennamer, Jess Elliot, Guess creek, Stevens Gap, and Cox Cave. I know the the general location within 1/4 of 1/4 of a section of all of these but I was hoping to get more info on how hard it is to find the enterances and difficulty. If you would like to contact me with specific cave info that you dont want to just post here my email is jchoover83@comcast.net. Make post with more specific questions I have. Thanks all!
jhoover
Infrequent Poster

Re: New to the forum

Postby Bill Putnam » Apr 22, 2009 10:09 am

Welcome, Jereme, you've come to the right place!

The NSS is the only organization that represents both caves and cavers. The best way to get the information you seek is to join a local grotto (NSS chapter). You can be a member for up to 1 year without joining the NSS.

The closest grotto to Ridgeland MS appears to be the JUST Cavers grotto in Brandon, MS, about 20 miles from Ridgeland, on the east side of Jackson. Here is their contact info from the NSS local grotto page:

JUST Cavers 000412
157 Dogwood Circle
Brandon, MS, 39047

Meeting Details:
(Please contact to verify)
Two meetings a year. Contact JUST Cavers. Executive Council.

Contact Information:
(601) 992-0141
t.caves@comcast.net

T. John Schliesser
(601)-992-0141

Barrett K. Pulliam
(601) 421-3112
bpulliam@duckwood.net

But the NSS is a great value for new members, because it connects you into the nationwide network of cavers. Membership is one way that "serious" cavers recognize one another and distinguish themselves from casual "spelunkers." When you travel to Alabama or Arkansas or wherever, you can always find NSS members to show you around, camp or stay with, cave with, answer questions about access and landowner situations, and more. That alone is worth the price of membership.

Plus you get the NSS News - a monthly magazine about caves & caving in North America, the Journal of Cave & Karst Studies (the premier scientific publication about caves) the Members Manual (nationwide directory of cavers & caving organizations) and American Caving Accidents (the journal of record for caving accidents and safety incidents in North America), and access to many other publications and resources of the Society.

For info on caves in Alabama, contact the grottos in Huntsville or Birmingham. You can get their contact info here.

Some of the caves you mentioned are owned by the Southeastern Cave Conservancy. You can contact them through their web site.

Email me if you have any trouble getting hooked up, and I will be glad to help.

Bill Putnam
NSS 21117
Atlanta GA
putnam@scci.org
Bill Putnam, NSS 21117 RL/FE
Chairman and Chief Troublemaker
The Revolutionary Hodag Party - Thinking outside the cave.

The jackal can roar,
pretending to be a lion.
The lion is not fooled.
Bill Putnam
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 21117
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Revolutionary Hodag Party

Postby jhoover » Apr 22, 2009 11:02 am

I will give the grotto a try but I'm not too optimistic ab it. I kind of doubt a Brandon, Ms grotto can be very helpfull with detailed info ab jackson county caves. I don't see how it will help much because although I understand their position, I wont drive 6 hours just to try to get the local grotto people to trust me enough to show me a cave. Sounds akward. I feel a little like this will just slow me down. :shrug:
jhoover
Infrequent Poster

Postby mgmills » Apr 22, 2009 11:05 am

jhoover wrote:Hello, I'm Jereme. I'm from Ridgeland, MS. I'm fairly new to caving. Last year while in North Arkansas trout fishing my brother(Michael) and I decided to visit Ozark National Park. We used Virtual Earth Terrain Maps to find multiple small caves and we were hooked. We took another trip to North Arkansas 3 months later specificaly to find caves and visit some well known caves in the area. We visited a few unnamed caves small caves, Vickery cave, Clay Cave, and Blowin' Cave. We allong with his girlfriend(Shiela), and our cousin(Brian) who is a rescue climber are planning on taking a trip to Jackson County Alabama Memorial Day weekend. I hope if we bump into local cavers they will be friendly. I have tried to contact local a few avid cavers but they have been largly unhelpfull but this is understandable as they have alot to protect. I think we will visit Limrock Blowing cave and Tumbling Rock Cave. Other caves I am interested in are Kennamer, Jess Elliot, Guess creek, Stevens Gap, and Cox Cave. I know the the general location within 1/4 of 1/4 of a section of all of these but I was hoping to get more info on how hard it is to find the enterances and difficulty. If you would like to contact me with specific cave info that you dont want to just post here my email is jchoover83@comcast.net. Make post with more specific questions I have. Thanks all!

Stephens Gap requires a permit. Contact Milton Polsky - contact info available in the NSS Members Manual
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Name: Martha Mills
NSS #: 39864
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby jhoover » Apr 22, 2009 11:08 am

Okay will do, thanks for the tip
jhoover
Infrequent Poster

Postby jhoover » Apr 22, 2009 11:09 am

Maybe I'm just being nagative tho
jhoover
Infrequent Poster

Postby Bill Putnam » Apr 22, 2009 11:20 am

Jereme,

The cavers from Jackson MS probably cave in Alabama all the time, and in Arkansas as well. But if they don't make you feel welcome, let me know and I'll hook you up with friendly cavers in Alabama and Georgia. I grew up in Birmingham, and I cave in Jackson County, Alabama, regularly.

Tumbling Rock Cave near Scottsboro is a great starting point for Alabama caving. Email me off-line and I'll send you more details.

Bill
Bill Putnam, NSS 21117 RL/FE
Chairman and Chief Troublemaker
The Revolutionary Hodag Party - Thinking outside the cave.

The jackal can roar,
pretending to be a lion.
The lion is not fooled.
Bill Putnam
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 21117
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Revolutionary Hodag Party

Postby jhoover » Apr 22, 2009 11:53 am

Okay thanks again, I have emailed the local Just Cavers Grotto and I will Email you about more info on Tumbling Rock
jhoover
Infrequent Poster

Return to Caver Introductions