WNS reported in Indiana?

This is a forum intended only for discussion of White Nose Syndrome.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: WNS reported in Indiana

Postby David Grimes » Mar 13, 2009 12:34 am

Thats excellent news so far. Thank you for getting involved on this forum and letting us know what you know.
David Grimes
Admin

NSS #: 59533
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Underground Society

Re: WNS reported in Indiana?

Postby NZcaver » Mar 13, 2009 1:18 am

Please note: I edited John's original post to add a "?" in the title of the topic. Headlines tend to grab people's attention, so I feel it's prudent to make a small effort to try and stem the spread of disinformation. The real WNS appears to be spreading fast enough all on its own. If this indeed proves to be a false alarm, the title can be amended to reflect that.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby dfcaver » Mar 13, 2009 12:00 pm

So it appears we have no spread that has to be anomalous. I'm still interested in those big western PA colonies that are healthy.
dfcaver
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 34158
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Huntingdon County Cave Hunters

Postby cavercrew » Mar 15, 2009 12:37 pm

John Chenger wrote:There will be more info posted here when I get it:

http://www.batmanagement.com/cgi-bin/ya ... 1236828223

We can stop wondering when WNS makes it's appearance in the midwest. Also I'll point out that I have personally been to several large bat sites in western PA this winter and those are most certainly doing just fine. If WV and VA wasn't convincing enough for somebody, the jump to IN most certainly seems to indicate it hitched a ride on some dusty coveralls.

Please note I am not blaming any group or individual, just pointing out the containment idea is proving to be dead in the water long before anyone knew what to try and contain.

Seems like like me somebody was ready to sell cavers down the road here, glad it turned out the way it did.
cavercrew
Frequent Poster

Name: Mike Hopkins
NSS #: 53727
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Pigeon Mountain Grotto

Postby hewhocaves » Mar 15, 2009 9:00 pm

Im not entirely certain Indiana would be anomalous. If there's a year's lag before symtoms show and if Indiana bats have a range of at least 400km, then there is certainly enough time for it to go from NY to Indiana. Furthermore, we do not know specifically which caves have been checked for WNS or if anything past the routine checks were done.
The NSS and WNS: Cooperation, not confrontation.
hewhocaves
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: John Tudek
NSS #: 36021
Primary Grotto Affiliation: MonGrotto

Postby PYoungbaer » Mar 16, 2009 10:27 am

From this morning's Greencastle Indiana paper:

Monday, March 16, 2009
By MARIBETH WARD, Staff Writer

With the migration of bats quickly approaching, there is good news for Indiana and it's bat population. According to John Whitaker, Jr. with the Center for North American Bat Research and Conservation at Indiana State University, there is no evidence of a mysterious disorder, called white-nose syndrome (WNS) that appears to be associated with the death of hundreds of bats in the northeastern United States.

Peter Youngbaer
NSS 16161
WNS Liaison
PYoungbaer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16161 CM FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Vermont Cavers Association

Postby wyandottecaver » Mar 17, 2009 4:10 pm

From a biological perspective Indiana would be VERY anomolous. Either a NE bat did something never before shown (i.e. migrated between these two very distinct population areas) or something else did. Indiana bats *can* migrate 400km in *some* cases in *some* places. The east west distances are usually very much less than even the normal north south ranges. The average migration for a given region can vary widely. We also don't know if the lag in WNS is 30 hours or 30 years.

Yes a bat might make that trip. But the probability seems very very small. We do in fact know which caves have been checked for WNS and many cavers are alerting officials to ones that werent, but where suspicious events have occured. As to selling cavers down the road....I think John was simply stating a logical conclusion. If that report had been WNS, then I doubt anyone familiar with Bat ecology would be defending a bat-bat mechanisim very strongly for that case.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby hewhocaves » Mar 17, 2009 10:31 pm

Sorry, how many Indiana bat migrations have been charted over the past fifty years? Five? Ten? Twenty? in total. That's the kind of numbers that the literature seem to be pointing towards. That's an amazingly small sample to draw conclusions from. And that doesn't answer the other two questions - whether bat colonies outside the affected area have been placed under the same scrutiny as bat areas within the affected area and whether there's a one-year or a two year gestation period.

Now WNS showing up in Texas this fall.. that would be anomalous.
The NSS and WNS: Cooperation, not confrontation.
hewhocaves
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: John Tudek
NSS #: 36021
Primary Grotto Affiliation: MonGrotto

Previous

Return to White Nose Syndrome (WNS)