WNS reported in Indiana?

This is a forum intended only for discussion of White Nose Syndrome.

Moderator: Moderators

WNS reported in Indiana?

Postby John Chenger » Mar 11, 2009 10:44 pm

There will be more info posted here when I get it:

http://www.batmanagement.com/cgi-bin/ya ... 1236828223

We can stop wondering when WNS makes it's appearance in the midwest. Also I'll point out that I have personally been to several large bat sites in western PA this winter and those are most certainly doing just fine. If WV and VA wasn't convincing enough for somebody, the jump to IN most certainly seems to indicate it hitched a ride on some dusty coveralls.

Please note I am not blaming any group or individual, just pointing out the containment idea is proving to be dead in the water long before anyone knew what to try and contain.
John Chenger
Prolific Poster

Re: WNS reported in Indiana

Postby Chads93GT » Mar 11, 2009 11:21 pm

wonder how long till it spreads to missouri. this is crazy.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby David Grimes » Mar 11, 2009 11:29 pm

Who is the reputable source? Why would someone not want to disclose their name after finding this out? I am in Indiana and have recieved no word from any grottos or anyone else for that matter and I am not that far from the Hoosier National Forest. I would like to know if this is completely serious or just a rumor. Anyone with word on this please let me know.
David Grimes
Admin

NSS #: 59533
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Underground Society

Postby dfcaver » Mar 12, 2009 5:30 am

What are the large bat sites of Western PA doing just fine? I was under the impression that PA had stopped all bat surveys due to the "possibility" of spread from the researchers. At this point it's as critical to know where it ISN"T as well as where it is.
dfcaver
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 34158
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Huntingdon County Cave Hunters

Postby batrotter » Mar 12, 2009 6:17 am

I'm in Indiana too and I'd like to know who this reputable source is? Or is this just spreading rumors?
batrotter
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Bruce Trotter
NSS #: 27849RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Cave Survey

Postby dfcaver » Mar 12, 2009 7:22 am

John Chenger wrote:the jump to IN most certainly seems to indicate it hitched a ride on some dusty coveralls.

Indiana is not outside the range of bats, especially since we have a three + year window of time for mixing of the populations. As the epidemiologists have not yet even determined that the fungus is the pathogen, it seems that we have some conclusion jumping here.

If we're doing science, we have to be open and lay our facts out for all to examine. What western PA sites are clean, and when were they examined? Examined one? Twice? The blowout of the disease in Shindle Mine shows that a single trip could easily miss WNS, prior to full blown infection. According from what I read, Shindle was picked as a control site, and WNS exploded around the researchers in the matter of weeks. A single visit, entering prior to the symptoms visual appearance, would have lead the visitor to conclude the site was clean.

Are we all now the children of Rappuchini?
dfcaver
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 34158
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Huntingdon County Cave Hunters

Postby tncaver » Mar 12, 2009 8:05 am

Does anyone on this forum know John Chenger? I looked at the link he provided to some kind of bat management website.
However it states the following on the website header: Bat Conservation and Management, Inc. Forum › General › White Nose Syndrome News and SPECULATION

If a website is serving an official purpose, it should not be spreading speculation. I am also curious as to what other agencies
that website is officially tied in with. Anyone know? Or is this simply a plan to spread WNS histeria? I also can not find a
John Chenger in my NSS members manual.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Phil Winkler » Mar 12, 2009 8:51 am

John is a former NSS member living in Carlisle, PA. He was dropped in 2006. NSS#33295
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Postby tncaver » Mar 12, 2009 8:54 am

Phil Winkler wrote:John is a former NSS member living in Carlisle, PA. He was dropped in 2006. NSS#33295

Phil, do you mean he dropped out or was dropped from the NSS? Please elaborate. Perhaps I am wrong, but this guy
seems to enjoy spreading WNS panic.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Phil Winkler » Mar 12, 2009 9:35 am

Sorry, "Dropped" is an NSS Office term for when someone doesn't pay their dues on time. It happens to lots of members. We have many Reinstatements, too.

You get to keep your original NSS# (they are never reissued to someone else), but it disqualifies you for a longevity pin award since that requires contiguous membership (no drops).
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Postby tncaver » Mar 12, 2009 9:49 am

Thank you Phil,
Been there and done that myself once upon a time. It just seems odd that a bat loving caver would suddenly drop
his NSS membership at the same time that WNS has become a major issue. Makes one wonder. John Chenger's former statements:
"perhaps we'll see WNS in TN this winter after all." and "coming to a cave near you soon", have an ominous ring and
tend to create questions in my mind concerning Mr. Chenger's agenda.

Many thanks to P. Youngbaer for his many updates concerning the WNS issue.
Last edited by tncaver on Mar 12, 2009 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby cavefox » Mar 12, 2009 10:56 am

"reputable source"..

What does that mean?
Sounds to me like more WNS panic for the sake of drama!
Facts, facts, facts please!
cavefox
Occasional Poster

Name: Nikki Fox
NSS #: 57004

Postby icave » Mar 12, 2009 12:37 pm

John is reputable when it comes to bats. He is well know in PA had has worked with (not for) the PA game comission on bat counts for years. I would take what John says at face value.

Mike Spencer
NSS 48165
Signature, I don't need no stinkin signature!
icave
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Mike Spencer
NSS #: 48165
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Greater Allentown Grotto

Postby tncaver » Mar 12, 2009 1:27 pm

Perhaps John could provide facts in the future, to back up his statements.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby David Grimes » Mar 12, 2009 3:33 pm

I agree it seems strange to make an announcement like that and provide no real evidence. I still have not recieved any word from any grottos or groups that have been assinged to monitor bat populations in Indiana for WNS. It seems if such a major discovery was made it would have went out to every caver in Indiana that has any grotto affiliation or any other caving group. I still am a little weary to take that one post very seriously. The individual who posted it may be sincere but I at least question his source.
David Grimes
Admin

NSS #: 59533
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Underground Society

Next

Return to White Nose Syndrome (WNS)