hello from georgia

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

hello from georgia

Postby mb1965 » Mar 7, 2009 7:10 am

hello my name is mike and i live in molena ga. and i am new to the sport of caving but have been to some amazing caves in the country of belize.
thats what got me interested and recently we did a wild cave tour at raccon mt tenn. so now im hooked! i have just purchaced a helmet and i am
looking at the diff. grotto's that are near by but not sure of how to go about the process i would not want to go with a group of experienced cavers
and be burden .in other words are there any caves that are for beginners ? because i would like to learn how to do things the right way .while in belize
we went in some caves without helmets or extra lights and did some scary climbs and now looking back i would have second thoughts! so i would like
to be a little safer in the future. thanks for any info or tips you have mike
mb1965
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 61001

Re: hello from georgia

Postby graveleye » Mar 7, 2009 10:41 am

Welcome to the forum Mike. I didn't know where Molena was, so I looked it up... looks like you're closer to Macon than Atlanta so you might give the Middle Georgia Grotto a try. PM me and I'll give you the contact email. They are some good people there. If you can make it up to Atlanta, we would be happy to have you at the Dogwood City Grotto. That might be a bit of a drive for you though. We meet once a month. I'm not sure how the MGG does their meetings.

I wouldn't worry about being a burden because chances are if the cave is beyond your present capabilities they won't let you go anyway. But most grottos, at least the DCG and the MGG both have beginner and intermediate trips and once you're ready then you can go on the more advanced stuff. You'll know when you are ready.

Hope that helps,

Kevin
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby mb1965 » Mar 13, 2009 9:01 pm

thanks kevin for the info i looked at the dogwood city grotto web site, is meeting place still the same place and time?
some of the stuff on the web site seems out of date or its from last year.i would like to attend a meeting but it would
be tuff to get there from where im at on a tues. is it manditory to go to the meetings in order to do a cave trip?
im sure the meeting would be helpful and i would like to attend.
mb1965
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 61001

Postby graveleye » Mar 15, 2009 2:23 pm

Yea they are having trouble with our website. Hopefully they will get it fixed soon... they're working on it from what I understand.

People do come on trips with us at the DCG who are not members, but it will make it easier if you are. I know that's a haul for you. I'm going to try to get you in contact with a fellow I know down that way. I emailed him just now to see if it was cool if you contact him via email... just being polite. I'll let you know.

Kevin
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Return to Caver Introductions