subforum sugggestions

This is a forum intended only for discussion of White Nose Syndrome.

Moderator: Moderators

Orphaned WNS threads

Postby wyandottecaver » Feb 27, 2009 7:16 pm

I have found the following WNS related threads not yet in the new sub-forum. Some maybe should stay where they are, just bringing them to the mods attention. By the way..is there a "help mods" thread or something similiar where we can make requests or point out abuses that the mods can check regularly?

"WNS in TAG" in (grotto forums)(chattanooga grotto)
"2009 NSS/ICS & WNS" (NSS Topics)
"scci open house cancelled" (conservation)

The following are all in the (everything bats) area
"WNS Forum"
"what the H--l"
"crawlathon cancelled"

This is a thread with a dead link
"indiana bat faces another threat" (everything bats)

hope this helps
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

subforum sugggestions

Postby wyandottecaver » Feb 27, 2009 7:26 pm

An "official updates only" thread limited (voluntarily probably) to posts by Peter or others directly involved in WNS research and pertaining directly to current WNS info would be useful. I know the liason page serves much the same function. revising the locked thread by Wayne "WNS information" would likely serve this purpose as well as adding more links to the liason paage, USFWS, etc.

A FAQ thread would also be nice. I may try writing a draft version for review....once we had something decent we would probably need to lock the thread to keep it clean.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Orphaned WNS threads

Postby David Grimes » Feb 27, 2009 7:47 pm

I will see which ones need to be moved as for the grotto forum we will not move threads out of grotto forums but the others could probably be moved. I will also see about adding a subforum to post possible TOS violations or problems that the mods may not have caught. Thanks for finding the posts and the ideals.
David Grimes
Admin

NSS #: 59533
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Underground Society

Re: Orphaned WNS threads

Postby David Grimes » Feb 27, 2009 7:53 pm

I moved most of the topics to the WNS forum you will still see shadow topics listed in the forums where they previously were. I put shadow topics so people could find the threads from the new or old location.
David Grimes
Admin

Re: subforum sugggestions

Postby David Grimes » Feb 27, 2009 7:57 pm

We could get something setup for official updates on WNS. As for a FAQ page if you want to write one with the info you currently have I would be glad to look over it and add it to an official locked thread.
David Grimes
Admin

Postby wyandottecaver » Feb 27, 2009 8:18 pm

well since your being so helpful......the Vermont WNS thread has a dead link.

also, the "what the H--l","WNS Forum?", and "WNS new subforum" should probably be rolled in together rather than having 3 threads about the new subforum... :big grin:

I will work on a FAQ but it will be a day or so to get a decent one put together, and I'd probably pass it by peter first too.

Todd
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby David Grimes » Feb 27, 2009 8:21 pm

I have nothing better to do rigth now than be helpful lol. I agree those posts seem to have the same overall topic so I will merge them.

If you make a FAQ page just send it to me via email so I can submit it to the OVP for final approval. The format doesn't matter I can open virtually any format.
David Grimes
Admin

Postby David Grimes » Feb 27, 2009 8:30 pm

I also would allow info to be posted to the locked WNS Information thread but I would rather it be filtered by myself or the moderators instead of unlocking the topic just to keep it clean and only contain relevant and factual information.
David Grimes
Admin

Postby wyandottecaver » Feb 27, 2009 9:26 pm

Yes, I would recommend any posts there be filtered through Peter Youngbaer first.
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby wyandottecaver » Mar 3, 2009 6:12 pm

Hey, its me being needy again. How about a WNS in the News thread where the news articles can go. Otherwise we get new threads just to mention the latest article.
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby PYoungbaer » Mar 4, 2009 8:49 pm

We have a media digest on the NSS WNS webpage which culls the torrent of media stories for those with new news, critical insight or in depth analysis - that is, somehing other than the regurgitated boiler plate that most puff pieces run.

Personally, one of the sources I scan is a Google Alert on WNS. I am amazed to receive dozens of links every day. When a new story breaks, essentially the same story will run (carried by the AP) in papers, radio, TV, internet across the country and you are inundated. Personal blogs, environmental newsletters, etc. are all caught. It's mind-boggling, but mostly mundane.

I wouldn't recommend a separate subforum. Just my opinion.

Peter
PYoungbaer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16161 CM FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Vermont Cavers Association

Postby wyandottecaver » Mar 4, 2009 9:19 pm

Actually just a designated thread for news stories. this current forum has about 4-5 threads which are simply news stories.
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to White Nose Syndrome (WNS)