Famous cave art being destroyed by fungus

Cave conservation issues, techniques, questions. Also visit the NSS Cave Conservation and Management Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Famous cave art being destroyed by fungus

Postby Ernie Coffman » Feb 27, 2009 12:03 pm

Here's another article on what's happening over in France, with their famous cave art being destroyed by fungus.
:down:http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... AD96JBCIG1
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Famous cave art being destroyed by fungus

Postby Ralph E. Powers » Feb 27, 2009 2:05 pm

That's a bummer that it's happening. But can they really blame Global warming for the cause?
They stated that the rising temperatures have caused the fungi to grow... so... lower the temps in the cave by pumping cooler air into it... if anything it should stop the growth...
Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible. ~ Reinhold Messner

http://ralph.rigidtech.com/albums.php
Ralph E. Powers
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 37616

Postby Phil Winkler » Feb 27, 2009 2:30 pm

I wonder if they've tried UV light turned on when the cave is closed? That is what is used in many mycology labs to curb contamination which otherwise spreads everywhere.

Of course, that UV light might also be harmful to the paintings. TANSTAAFL, after all.
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Postby Ralph E. Powers » Feb 27, 2009 8:56 pm

Phil Winkler wrote:I wonder if they've tried UV light turned on when the cave is closed? That is what is used in many mycology labs to curb contamination which otherwise spreads everywhere.

Of course, that UV light might also be harmful to the paintings. TANSTAAFL, after all.

Well maybe but if I'm not mistaken most of the paintings were done with charcoal, crushed berry juices, even with colored mud/clay, chalk could've been used for the white. So am thinking that UV wouldn't cause them to fade... not unless it's on 10-12 hours a day like a painting out in the sun...
Good question ... wondered if they have thought about that. Or would a disinfectant (like lysol) would kill the fungus and still leave the paintings intact...
Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible. ~ Reinhold Messner

http://ralph.rigidtech.com/albums.php
Ralph E. Powers
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 37616

Postby wyandottecaver » Feb 27, 2009 9:40 pm

there was an extensive web discussion of this a while back. most of the fingerpointing by those familiar with the cave was at a newly installed and (presumably) poorly designed HVAC/environmental control unit that drastically affected airflow regimes and humidity levels. Some level of degredation had been occuring slowly for some time, but the HVAC project apparently created a disaster almost overnight. It was a bit of an embarrassment for the govt who was looking for any likely sounding scapegoats...
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby graveleye » Mar 5, 2009 11:27 am

the road to hell again, paved with good intentions.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Return to Conservation Forum